Old 08 February 2010, 09:41   #1

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Liferafts - what would you do??

My RIB came complete with two RFD Surviva 8 person rafts. As each is 9 months old and due for service in June, I thought I would get them serviced now.

Having just spoken to Cosalt, the cost of service will be £409 each!!!

Prior to purchasing the Rib I had got quotes from liferaft suppliers who could hire them at around £600/year.

A no brainer really, but is it really worth getting my own serviced or shall I throw them away and rent 2?

Regards
Steve
Old 08 February 2010, 09:46   #2

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
they still have value, sell them, i hire in only when i'm on charter, why hire it for a whole year when you probaly only need them for a few months, i might be able to broker a deal for you with one of my clients who service life rafts, i gave him my liferafts which he serviced and then i use them when i need them and he hire's them out to who ever when i'm not using them, he's a good friend so he may not do it for everyone, one point is the liferaft serial numbers have to be registered with the code guys
Old 08 February 2010, 10:24   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Liferafts

I too looked into hire against purchase and settled for buying lifrafts with a three year service date which thus reduced my overheads. I think in your position it is a no brainer to sell the two individually maybe via e bay and hire in two rafts at coding level, the advantages are that you return them and get new standard each time whereas I have liferafts that will get older and need services every three years before they go down to annual servicing. I will have some value left in years to come as in cannisters and will be looked after, Biffer's sounds like a nice suggestion/deal
Old 08 February 2010, 10:33   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Tinkerbell
Make: Rib
Length: 7m +
Engine: Merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
I too looked into hire against purchase and settled for buying lifrafts with a three year service date which thus reduced my overheads. I think in your position it is a no brainer to sell the two individually maybe via e bay and hire in two rafts at coding level, the advantages are that you return them and get new standard each time whereas I have liferafts that will get older and need services every three years before they go down to annual servicing. I will have some value left in years to come as in cannisters and will be looked after, Biffer's sounds like a nice suggestion/deal
Ian

This is exactly what we do with all our rafts. Buy them for about £450 keep for 3 years sell on flee bay for £200 or £65 per year- not bad
Old 08 February 2010, 11:59   #5

Town: Morecambe
Boat name: Various
Make: Various
Length: 10m +
Engine: Various
If its any help, I hire mine 1x6 man and 1x8 man to make up the 12 +2 £450 a year with no servicing charges from Northwest Liferafts.