scm

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 275
Harmonisation of the MCA Codes

Hi All,
Anybody know more about the above? ie when it comes in force and what the differance will mean to say a yellow coded boat?

Regards
Stuart
Old 21 November 2004, 18:12   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Harmonised Codes

Stuart,

The Harmonised code has just (last week) been issued as a marine guidance note MGN280 on the MCA website and this can be downloaded. I haven't read it yet but my understanding is that the new code should be used as per the terms of the MGN and will become formalised in law depending on when some parliamentary time becomes available. Late this year or early next year.

As to how this affects a yellow coded boat - it will not affect boats that are already coded. They will continue to be assessed against the yellow code at least until the end of their 5 year survey cycle.

Regards
Old 22 November 2004, 21:10   #3

Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin ETEC200s
Harmonised codes

The new codes are now in place and serve to replace the existing brown, yellow, red & blue COPs by acting as one codes that covers all.

Certifying authorities now apply the harmonised code for new vessels.

There are differences, some subtle, some not. I have spent the last few weeks going through the amendments and cannot see any major difficulties that a well found vessel and operator would find.

For RIBs standards of construction for vls under 8m can be to ISO but for larger Vls they should be built to a standard that would meet SOLAS criteria.

RIB operators/skippers are to ensure that there is a safe position for all onboard. This is part way to saying that there must be inboard seating. It infers that if an accident occurs with a person on the tube then it could be questioned that the codes were breached by lack of seating ???!!

References also to hand holds, toe grips etc.

Present ISAF liferafts are out with ORC in (rafts already on existing boats may be retained).

Annual pressure testing of the tubes many other "bits" and I hope to detail these soon onto a spreadsheet and post on our web site.

All in all seems a good change and when we all absorb it will make the system more transparent eg. before we would apply yellow for PAX and brown for cargo - sometimes on the same boat. Now we can wrap it into one easily.

It will be interesting to see comments from surveyors as to its implimentation.

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk
Old 22 November 2004, 21:57   #4
scm

Ducan, John
Many thanks
Stuart
Old 24 November 2004, 10:53   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
The link

https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/public/c4...%20Annex_1.pdf

Pete
Old 25 November 2004, 17:21   #6

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
Liferafts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinquarimarine
The new codes are now in place and serve to replace the existing brown, yellow, red & blue COPs by acting as one codes that covers all.

Certifying authorities now apply the harmonised code for new vessels.

There are differences, some subtle, some not. I have spent the last few weeks going through the amendments and cannot see any major difficulties that a well found vessel and operator would find.

For RIBs standards of construction for vls under 8m can be to ISO but for larger Vls they should be built to a standard that would meet SOLAS criteria.

RIB operators/skippers are to ensure that there is a safe position for all onboard. This is part way to saying that there must be inboard seating. It infers that if an accident occurs with a person on the tube then it could be questioned that the codes were breached by lack of seating ???!!

References also to hand holds, toe grips etc.

Present ISAF liferafts are out with ORC in (rafts already on existing boats may be retained).

Annual pressure testing of the tubes many other "bits" and I hope to detail these soon onto a spreadsheet and post on our web site.

All in all seems a good change and when we all absorb it will make the system more transparent eg. before we would apply yellow for PAX and brown for cargo - sometimes on the same boat. Now we can wrap it into one easily.

It will be interesting to see comments from surveyors as to its implimentation.

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk
Think your find that its the other way round with the liferafts ie ISAF in ORC out,thats how i read it. Could be wrong.
Paul
Old 27 November 2004, 18:21   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I welcome the regulation that stops tube sitting I hope the seats at the front of the console are designated as not safe
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2004, 19:16   #8
scm

I think you will find the seat at the front is more than safe it just depends who is driving and skippering !!!
Old 28 November 2004, 21:35   #9

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I welcome the regulation that stops tube sitting I hope the seats at the front of the console are designated as not safe
Surely it depends on the position of the console? Most commercial "rides" type boats have all the seating in front of the console!

I take it you mean the so called "suicide seat"? Yes they can be very bouncy on a normal sort of rib but wih some decent grab handles they aren't so bad! Unless you get a wasp in your eye at 50kts!!!
Old 28 November 2004, 21:40   #10

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
The "no sitting on tubes" rule is prob open to some debate - I believe many of the boats that do the bitches run have people sitting on the tubes but there are some serious grab handles in the middle of the boat.

When i first saw this I was horrified but they have a great safety record - when one did capsize everyone was thrown clear. Not only that but the tubes would make great shock absorbers - much better for your back than a jockey seat!!!

The Royal Marines manage!!!
Old 03 December 2004, 23:40   #11

Town: Gateshead
Boat name: Black Wind
Make: Bombard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 200
The New code is not now in place It is only on the MCA website. I am in the middle of having a Rib coded and according to the MCA coding department the old code is still in force. You can if you wish code to the requirements of the new harmonised stand but it will not be the code of practice until it is signed off by Parliment.
Old 04 December 2004, 12:40   #12

Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin ETEC200s
Code statute

Foxdog you are quite correct in that the harmonised codes are not in statute yet.

To us, as suppliers, it is good practice to adopt the new codes ie. working to any more onerous points on the basis that it is anticpated that they will become statute in the near future. You will find that most surveyors have studied the harmonised codes and are working towards it implimentation.

Egg on our faces accepted if Parliment changes their mind !

Legally though it is not in statute and you can apply the relevant existing codes until it comes into statute.

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk