Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Foam Lifejackets

Is anyone here using foam jackets?

Am considering (still undecided) going foam.... Bit fed up with the high (IMO) gas servicing costs and storage isn't an issue.

As regular boaters I guess we all appreciate the compact gas inflate units, but I'm often surprised at how many passengers seem nervous about whether the jackets will do there thing in an emergency

Question is..... What foam jackets are you using (if any)?

Well also need lights / to add lights....
Old 14 July 2015, 08:43   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I always use foam type... as do my teens. Only the Mrs uses an auto inflate due to it's compactness over the boob area in the deflated state!

I've just checked hers and changed the cylinder/capsule prior to this holiday. Not too bad cost for one but if you've loads it will obviously mount up.

We boat in areas suitable for 100N.
Old 14 July 2015, 11:25   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Tony Hill does:

Old 14 July 2015, 12:57   #4

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
RIBase
We have a few of those crewsaver jackets.... and they're ideal, but survitec tell me they no longer make them. Struggling to find anything as compact at 150N.

Anybody else!?!

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2015, 15:43   #5

Town: Midlands
Make: Ribeye 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
Foam might also help keep punters warmer / happier?
Old 14 July 2015, 19:01   #6

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbill RIBs View Post
Is anyone here using foam jackets?

Am considering (still undecided) going foam.... Bit fed up with the high (IMO) gas servicing costs and storage isn't an issue.

As regular boaters I guess we all appreciate the compact gas inflate units, but I'm often surprised at how many passengers seem nervous about whether the jackets will do there thing in an emergency

Question is..... What foam jackets are you using (if any)?

Well also need lights / to add lights....
Does servicing mean you send them off to someone and get them back tested? Would that still need done with foam ones?

If all that needs replaced is the cartridge its less than £10 each. I realise that mounts up if you have 3 boats, 12 seats each and need spares and kiddy sizes etc.

The risk assessment for a foam needs to be different... ...there are basically two scenarios where a passenger ends up in the water. One where the crew are on the boat and coming back to retrieve and one where the whole boat is flipped out. The whole boat with foam the crew can remind them to inflate manually. The individual case will possibly forget to inflate. Add to that you need to consider if everyone can inflate it. Yes they have 50N of bouyancy but if that was sufficient you'd just supply bouyancy aids?

I used foam LJs as a kid (stupid school insurance!) before moving to BA's and then now BA / Gas Auto. I HATED LJs - they got damp and stored damp and mildewy. You had to put your head into a mildewey hole. YUCK. In the end I bought a crewsaver one that was 50N like a BA but with bladder for mouth inflation to 150N, but was a waistcoat style. Don't think they still do it. It was simillar to the Crewsaver Harvester but without the gas bit, with a mouth bit instead.

Can you take the lights off your current ones? But how are the lights activated, Protected etc. Suspect you'll get a lot more light failures...
Old 14 July 2015, 19:35   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Does servicing mean you send them off to someone and get them back tested? Would that still need done with foam ones?

If all that needs replaced is the cartridge its less than £10 each. I realise that mounts up if you have 3 boats, 12 seats each and need spares and kiddy sizes etc.

Were but it that simple.... You're not allowed to service yourself (annoyingly).... We have bought in at trade price, used for a season then sold on before.... Works out cheaper than servicing, but it's a PITA tbh.

The risk assessment for a foam needs to be different... ...there are basically two scenarios where a passenger ends up in the water. One where the crew are on the boat and coming back to retrieve and one where the whole boat is flipped out. The whole boat with foam the crew can remind them to inflate manually. The individual case will possibly forget to inflate. Add to that you need to consider if everyone can inflate it. Yes they have 50N of bouyancy but if that was sufficient you'd just supply bouyancy aids?

No, the LJs we want / need are 150N without air. They have to be LJs to keep the head floating face up (as opposed to buoyancy aids).

I used foam LJs as a kid (stupid school insurance!) before moving to BA's and then now BA / Gas Auto. I HATED LJs - they got damp and stored damp and mildewy. You had to put your head into a mildewey hole. YUCK. In the end I bought a crewsaver one that was 50N like a BA but with bladder for mouth inflation to 150N, but was a waistcoat style. Don't think they still do it. It was simillar to the Crewsaver Harvester but without the gas bit, with a mouth bit instead.

We have a drying room for all our wet kit.... Agree there's nothing worse than donning cold wet LJs (and foulies which we supply) in a trip

Can you take the lights off your current ones? But how are the lights activated, Protected etc. Suspect you'll get a lot more light failures...
The old lights will be out of date / test

Old 14 July 2015, 20:57   #8

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
foam life jacket

See
BSI 150N | Crewsaver

Only requires regular air check for servicing. Self service. Main issue is salt in the inflation valve, bit of warm water sorts it. Servicing is a wet morning, cup of coffee type activity for crew. Skipper responsible for signing off.

Guaranteed to offer buoyancy/assistance to wearer.

Dirty, smelly mildew? Isn't poor equipment management the issue?

We use foam on our open boats and gas on our cabin ribs.

Tony
Old 14 July 2015, 21:25   #9

RIBase
Cheers Tony, just what I was after

Survitec chap I spoke to today told me they no longer made these

could I ask which survitec depot you deal with? Our local one closed some time ago, so geography not important , just want good customer service

Thanks in advance...

Old 14 July 2015, 21:42   #10

Town: arran
Boat name: 3 boats
Make: 3 boats
Engine: all
Razorbill I've sent you a message