RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Film charter

I have a contact who needs a RIB for about 2 hours in the following locations to do some filming .If anyone can help please PM me . They have a budget of about £300 a go.

Spurn Head
Lindisfarne
Liverpool
Blackpool

all in July
many thanks
Old 19 June 2008, 11:33   #2

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
They have a budget of about £300 a go.
They will need coded Ribs and qualified skippers, and that isn't going to happen at £300 a go!

They WILL be breaking the law if they don't!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 13:00   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
They will need coded Ribs and qualified skippers, and that isn't going to happen at £300 a go!
I know plenty of people who would do a 2 hour film charter for £300! Maybe Solent prices are different to elsewhere.....
Old 19 June 2008, 15:31   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I know plenty of people who would do a 2 hour film charter for £300! Maybe Solent prices are different to elsewhere.....

no surprises there!

That's because theres too many people trying to get piece of the action and make ther boats pay for themselves. Proffesional boat drivers don't like to get out o bed for less than 200 a day, That doesn't leave much for boat hire, transportation, coding fuel, insurance and safety equipment costs. Also this is film work and that pays a premium. At 300 quid a day you'd lose money Any idea how long it would take you to tow the boat to Lindisfarne that's near Newcastle

D'ya see Solent Ribcharter going ater work for tht kinda money, or somebody that's just given John Price 80k for a Commercial Humber.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 21:43   #5

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Proffesional boat drivers don't like to get out o bed for less than 200 a day,
Professional as in does this for a living, or professional as in meets the Rogue Wave definition (I think it's about three people... )

Quote:
D'ya see Solent Ribcharter going ater work for tht kinda money
Yes, but only if it's based near their area of operation - same as South West Rib Charter etc. The big cost here strikes me as the transport costs involved.
Old 20 June 2008, 06:03   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Yep and some of them even pay trade membership when they have a signature linking to a rib based business
Old 21 June 2008, 06:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Professional as in does this for a living, or professional as in meets the Rogue Wave definition (I think it's about three people... )
Rogue Waves definitions

Semi-professional
People who are semi-professional are paid for an activity which they take part in but which they do not do all the time:

Professional
Someone who has worked hard in the same type of job for a long time and has become skilled at dealing with any problem that might happen:

So in my world a profesional power boat driver isn't a hustling student, an accountant, an employee of the environment agency or even a talented young SRC and Yacht instructor. Hes a guy that is involved in and dedicated to powerboats full time. I'd say Cookee fitted that profile wouldn't you? Pete7 would if he decide to do it for a living!

I've had the pleasure of working with many excellent and skilled people over the years, many of which I've learnt from, and the very best is a guy called Jon Aldis.

You're other point about the big cost being transportation, in this instance that's probably true, but I suspect Lurchers friends were looking for local resources. Overall, I believe the biggest cost is an invisible one namely wear and tear. That's why you have to factor in a sensible profit margin or walk away from the work. if you're making a hundred pounds profit and you ding your prop then you've worked for nothing, which most certainly doesn't fit my definitions of either semi professional or professional
Old 22 June 2008, 00:24   #8

Length: 6m +
Quote:
So in my world a profesional power boat driver isn't a hustling student, an accountant, an employee of the environment agency or even a talented young SRC and Yacht instructor. Hes a guy that is involved in and dedicated to powerboats full time. I'd say Cookee fitted that profile wouldn't you?
So someone like Doug (who will kill me for dragging him into this) doesn't qualify as a professional according to your definition, because despite a life on the water, he spreads himself between Yachting, Dinghy Sailing, Powerboating, Motor Cruising, and the Supporting Theory, including maintenance of boats and a commercial centre, doesn't qualify as a professional because he spreads himself across various maritime disciplines, but someone who builds and races boats does, because it's exclusively powerboats he builds and races?
Old 22 June 2008, 06:43   #9

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
The words can, worms, open and everywhere spring to mind here

I would also suggest that a pro can deal with the customers in a manner that is not seen to be them opening their mouth and inserting a large size 9 boot!
Also is able to put brain in to gear before opening said mouth

There are a huge number of part timers, in many walks of life, that are as good and if not better than those who do a role full time. Just look at firefighters and our very good men and women of the RNLI, how many of them work in boating full time any more? not very many yet they are, without doubt, one of if not the best marine resuce services in the world.

If you house was on fire, god forbid, you would not care if they were part timers or whole timers would you? hell I know I would not!

Its not about how much time you spend doing something its how good you are at it.

I run my marine company part time but I know we are as good and in a lot of cases far better than many who do it full time and we are proud of that fact and strive to ensure we stay that way.

And getting back to the thread, IMHO £150 per is not a bad rate, this would cover fuel, wages, wear and tear and include the other hidden cost of running a boat business. If you do the sums right this sort of rate works well.

All IMHO of course!
Old 22 June 2008, 10:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
So someone like Doug (who will kill me for dragging him into this) doesn't qualify as a professional according to your definition, because despite a life on the water, he spreads himself between Yachting, Dinghy Sailing, Powerboating, Motor Cruising, and the Supporting Theory, including maintenance of boats and a commercial centre, doesn't qualify as a professional because he spreads himself across various maritime disciplines, but someone who builds and races boats does, because it's exclusively powerboats he builds and races?

Absolutely
Old 23 June 2008, 01:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks View Post
Its not about how much time you spend doing something its how good you are at it.

I run my marine company part time but I know we are as good and in a lot of cases far better than many who do it full time and we are proud of that fact and strive to ensure we stay that way.

And getting back to the thread, IMHO £150 per is not a bad rate, this would cover fuel, wages, wear and tear and include the other hidden cost of running a boat business. If you do the sums right this sort of rate works well.
So how do you get experience without spending time on the job

If you are so good why don't you run your marine company full time then you could be even more proud!

150 pouns per hour is a good rate especially if it's a 5 hour charter. But this job isn't a 150 pounds an hour job. It's a three hundred pound job which should take about 2 hours does that include planning, mobilisation, safety planning, furnishing the production company's admin requirements, and of course the safety briefing

If you do manage to get all this done within your 2 hour window what are you gonna do with your boat for the rest of the day.

I don't like working for cheap, but if you need or want work for that kinda money you go for it you won't find me undercutting you
Old 23 June 2008, 08:09   #12

Well like everthing in life the more you do it the better you get but you don't have to do it full time to become good.

Whilst I would love to do it full time I also really enjoy my other job and with good time management do both to a high standard, no pun intended!

Ok so its two hours work at £150 per hour, if it local to you and you have a good brief from the persons chartering you its no going to be rocket science. It amazes me how protective some people get in this industry and try to make it sound like a black art and to be honest its not!
Also two hours work maybe all some companies have in the diary for that day so what would you prefer? two hours work at the said £150 per hour or the boat to lay idle and not earn anything? Even laying not working the boat is coasting you money.

Imho they may only want 2 hours on the water but in most cases, as you pointed out, any half decent company needs time before and time after any charter. This is where good negotiation skills come in to play.

Cheers
Old 23 June 2008, 14:42   #13

Town: Harlow, Essex
Boat name: On Water Training
Length: no boat
Professional :-

1 a: of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b: engaged in one of the learned professions c (1): characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2): exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace

2 a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional diver> b: having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional sailor> c: engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>

3: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>

Semi-professional :-
1 : engaging in an activity for pay or gain but not as a full-time occupation

2 : engaged in by semiprofessional players <semiprofessional baseball>

Nuff said...!
www.onwatertraining.co.uk
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2008, 23:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks View Post

Whilst I would love to do it full time I also really enjoy my other job and with good time management do both to a high standard, no pun intended!
Rollucks

To my dying breath I would not believe this is the reason. I'd believe it's because it won't pay your mortgage more like!.

Any way the thread served it's purpose quite well for yu as you are able to plug your wonderful boat and your wonderful self
Old 24 June 2008, 06:22   #15
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
Any way the thread served it's purpose quite well for yu as you are able to plug your wonderful boat and your wonderful self [/QUOTE]

Old 24 June 2008, 08:29   #16

Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
I remember rates of pay being discussed before and did a quick search- here are the results

Quote:
in a croweded marketplace you get what you can. I don't like to go out for less than 125 a day cos I am hardworking and can entertain the customers quite well
Quote:
I know of a powerboat experience company that I used to work for that pays about 15 an hour and they asked me to find them some new drivers. If you are interested in talking to them I'll happily forward your number to them if you PM it to me.
Quote:
Do you think they'd be looking for change out of a hundred quid. We have a fleet tender that will do that support job
So if we do the sums £100 a day for the boat and £15 and hour for the driver then a 2 hr job is £130 plus fuel plus wear and tear plus admin, and the boats has been paid for for the whole day.
Old 24 June 2008, 09:45   #17

Quote:
Rollucks not sure we asked what kept your ears apart

To my dying breath I would not believe this is the reason. I'd believe it's because it won't pay your mortgage more like!. well I hope you dont die to soon Stu, would miss you out look on life and you wit and banter. But hand on heart it would pay the bills but would miss the cut and thrust of the full time job.

Any way the thread served it's purpose quite well for yu as you are able to plug your wonderful boat and your wonderful self
Why thank you!
Old 24 June 2008, 13:22   #18
scm

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Mercury 275
Still not a trade member.....
Old 24 June 2008, 13:28   #19

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Why does he need to be? It's not like he's blatantly advertising his charter business on here. There are plenty of people on this forum who have their business name in their signature. My understanding was that people only needed trade membership if they posted blatant messages publicising their business....
Old 24 June 2008, 13:53   #20

Cheers Tim but should get round to re-newing.....yes re-newing my trade membership.

Job for tonight me thinks.