Old 25 January 2003, 10:12   #1

Dive Skipper Training

Hi

I'm a keen UK south cost wreck diver and I'm intrested in training up as skipper. With the view to possibly running a weekend rib charter once I gain sufficent knowledge and experience.

Could any of the forum members advise me on how to get started on training (RYA Power Boat II ?) and any ideas on how I can safely build my experience of skippering a rib before I take the step of purchasing a boat for charter usage.

I'm not expecting to achieve all of this in a short period of time and I am quite prepared to invest my time to gain experience rather than pay.... Safety Is My Number One Priority..

Any advice would me much appreciated.

Thanks Jim Butler.....
Old 25 January 2003, 10:36   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Welcome to the ribnet forums.

Would you like to tell us where you are based, Jim?
We can then give you details of local trainers and facilities.
Old 25 January 2003, 10:40   #3

Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
Dive Skipper

Jim,

If you look at the thread coding it may cover a number of topics?

Qualifications - if the boat is not BSAC it will need to be MCA coded and as such surveyed to meet requirements.

You as skipper will need to hold a commercially endorsed qualification - this may be

level 2 upto 3 miles by day
advanced upto 20 miles day and night

To be commercially endorsed you require a MCA medical, First aid certificate and sea survival certificate.

IMHO i would aim to get the advanced as it includes emergency procedures such as helo medivac, search patterns, navigation etc etc (see RYA site for full syllabus)

Also, as you are intending to go down the diving route I would also reccomend HSE first aid and O2 Admin as a minimum as the 1 day RYA is probably too basic for diving activities.

I do a lot of teaching for HSE divers in Plymouth who will be skippering boats etc on dive operations so feel free to ask any more questions.

Regards
Karl
Old 25 January 2003, 17:33   #4

Thanks for these two replys

I'm based in Bedfordshire, so Southhampton or Brighton areas would be ideal for some training. I'm often over at Swanage for the divng but I'd be trying to minimise travel for my rib training.

Could either of you shed a little more light on the commercial endorsment side of the RYA qualifications. Is it simply a case that you complete the Main course then provide proof of sea survivial, Medical & First aid qualification and you get signed off with a commercial endorsment?

Regards Jim..........
Old 25 January 2003, 18:46   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Butler
Could either of you shed a little more light on the commercial endorsment side of the RYA qualifications. Is it simply a case that you complete the Main course then provide proof of sea survivial, Medical & First aid qualification and you get signed off with a commercial endorsment?
Yes, it's as simple as that, apart from paying the RYA a few quid I seem to remember! Your certificate really is "rubber stamped" with your commercial endorsement -- it's not a very impressive looking thing!

John

« Coding | Top | RIB Charter »