Old 05 June 2010, 20:39   #1

Town: W.Sussex/Plymouth
Length: no boat
Deliveries/ commercial work

Hey all,

I thought i would put a post on here as there seem to be quite a lot of people in the know on who to contact for what or are involved themselves. I have been driving ribs commercially for about 3/4 years now and am a PBI and going to be going for my Advanced Commercial this month and APBI sometime this year as i should have done these a long time ago but haven't been needed until now. I recently got the Day skipper power ticket and would love to go and get my experience up maybe to yachtmaster but not the zero to hero way, but helping out with deliveries as crew and as long as travel and potentially food is covered I am happy to work for free. Any advice at all on getting hours and experience would be greatly appreciated especially if there is anything in the solent that i can do any help would be brilliant!

Many Thanks All!
Old 05 June 2010, 21:12   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopay View Post
Hey all,

I thought i would put a post on here as there seem to be quite a lot of people in the know on who to contact for what or are involved themselves. I have been driving ribs commercially for about 3/4 years now and am a PBI and going to be going for my Advanced Commercial this month and APBI sometime this year as i should have done these a long time ago but haven't been needed until now. I recently got the Day skipper power ticket and would love to go and get my experience up maybe to yachtmaster but not the zero to hero way, but helping out with deliveries as crew and as long as travel and potentially food is covered I am happy to work for free. Any advice at all on getting hours and experience would be greatly appreciated especially if there is anything in the solent that i can do any help would be brilliant!

Many Thanks All!
I started driving Coastal tugs to get my hours in. It's rough work but makes you a better mariner. every week you are on a tug you get 84 hours of seatime half of which are night hours.

Commercial People don't offer to work for free but if you must I'm sure there are plenty of delivery agencies/Yacht Brokers/Training Establishments who may take advantage of your offer

SDGANDER on thi forum does deliveries I think
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2010, 22:21   #3

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
Hi,

Thanks for the ad RW

I have been a bit short on that side of work lately and working as Mate on a survey boat instead...

Snoopay drop me a CV and I'll let you know if anything comes up - we sometime need a Mate here but not sure if we would be able to get away with using you with your qualifications/current experience.

Also I would avoid working for free if you can - partly because it takes paid work from others (and that will be you in the future) and because the skipper should factor in crew costs and you may find that some less honest skippers are pocketing the money allocated for crewing... not that common but it does happen.

SDG