Old 12 October 2010, 16:58   #1

Town: Surrey
Length: no boat
Crew/Deckhand courses

Hi,

I pray that this topic hasn't been covered hundreds of times before, so apologies if so.

I'm new out of university and have realised I no longer want to pursue a career in what I was studying. So, I'm in need of information from you kind people who can steer me in the right direction for employment as a Crew/Deckhand on Motor / Superyachts.

I know I would have to complete the STCW-95, Powerboat Level 2 as a real minimum, but I'm having training providers telling me I would need to complete a Yachtmasters Offshore course in order to get on a Superyacht.... Is this correct?... I just feel that's quite a step for a complete novice.

Also, I feel I would prefer Motor courses rather than sails... Am I deluded?...lol

Aimy
Old 13 October 2010, 11:27   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Aimy

Assuming you are looking to work on super yachts (over 24m) then you need your STCW '95 Yacht Rating Certificate. The reason most training centers have not told you this is that they don't run this course.

If you joined us, we would need just over three weeks with you to get you through all of the relevant training (including STCW Basic Safety, PWC Proficency, Powerboat Level 2 and yacht rating qualifiers).

If you are interested PM me and I will send you dates, prices etc.
Old 16 October 2010, 10:53   #3

Town: North
Boat name: PPT
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki
MMSI: 07795600946
Superyacht crew

The best people by far to speak to are the crew at JPMA the UKs leading provider of superyacht training and also placements.. Www.hss.ac.uk 0151 632 4000 .. Ask for John, Anna or Julie.

Feel free to PM me if you woul like to discuss further, we work very closely with JPMA