Old 19 December 2008, 22:18   #21

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Does state on my website payment via Pay Pal still not sure that makes the service I offer to clients any less professional than the next training centre.

I chose Pay Pal to handle the booking deposits when securing a course for a client and it works very well for me . Clients pay the balance at the end of the course either by cheque or cash .
What works for some won't be the favoured method for others but as I am only asking a 10% deposit to confirm a clients place on a course it works for me.

Pay Pal is very prominent in the market place and as I am mostly internet based for advertising I find this also suits me and the clients.

I would like to do as other schools do and spend some time at a boat show advertising my school but I never seem to get the diary clear enough to take time out to do it.

Merry Christmas
Old 19 December 2008, 22:51   #22

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
...They will at some point either have to register or type in all of their CC details for each transaction...
Doug, no, you don't have to and that's the benefit for the buyer. After selecting paypal as one's choice for payment, the website will link directly to a paypal login page and the buyer only has to login and confirm the sale. That sale is merchant linked and a confirmation/receipt email is sent to the buyer immediately. After payment, Paypal's page will have a link back to the merchant's site if one wishes to return. There are various flavours of the merchant/paypal linking but they're pretty similar.

If it's a direct purchase then the merchant will need you to provide an address for delivery of the item. If the sale is not a physical item, then maybe a contact phone number could be enough since you would be receiving payment via paypal anyway.
Old 20 December 2008, 08:45   #23

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
I wouldn't use paypal principally for the reason that due to past experience, when things go wrong they are a total bunch of shiesters. God knows conventional banks are bad enough, but this one is based in a dodgy Luxembourg address, is virtually uncontactable when it wants to be, and really doens't give a damn about anyone other than themselves.
At least with my normal bank, I can go and sort out problems face to face.
Old 21 December 2008, 20:18   #24

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
They will at some point either have to register or type in all of their CC details for each transaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Doug, no, you don't have to and that's the benefit for the buyer.
Did not perhaps expand enough on what I meant. To register for PayPal you have to type in all details just you do for an Amazon account, Argos account etc. Or you will have to type in details for each transaction.

I take your point however that if you already hold a PayPal account it saves you time to use PayPal again with a different merchant/supplier.

I suppose my gripe with PayPal is really cost, but its horses for courses.
Old 27 December 2008, 15:56   #25
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Paypal is easy to use and great if your buying things for £50-500. But it has some really big problems for people spending a larger amount.

When wrapping up my portrait business and getting very poor prices for the equipment I no longer needed I used ebay to sell. One of the items was a Canon 1Ds MKIII which went for over £3500. Because of the amount I had to wait 6 weeks for paypal to let me transfer that money to my bank account due to some rule they have. And after god knows how many emails and phone calls I finally got told it was due to help prevent money laundering.

Now I know most here wont be selling things for that kind of money in one transaction but if you had allot of sales in one day and that money accumulated in your paypal account then you will be up against the same thing.

EDIT: I only have a standard paypal, I'm not sure if this is the same for a business account.