Old 14 March 2003, 13:06   #1

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
commercial insurance in the USA

I would appreciate learning of any companies that provide charter/tour/rental liability insurance for commercial RIB operations in the USA. I've been looking for a year without success so any references or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 21 March 2003, 12:13   #2

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
I don't know but would also be interested if anyone has any information
Old 21 March 2003, 18:29   #3

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Since I don't live in the US, and don't know much about commercial insurance, I asked a friend on irc who deals with insurance in the US, and she suggested....

cna, kemper, one beacon, travellers, safeco

If any of those companies make sense to you then they apparently are the people you need to make contact with for what you want

-Alex
Old 21 March 2003, 21:34   #4

Thanks very much for making the inquiry. The companies suggested are principle property/casualty insurance companies with huge customer bases, but they don't offer this type of insurance. If I do a web search I find lists of companies that specifically claim that they offer liability and property insurance for boat rental - but when I contact them every one has said they "don't have a market for that type of insurance". I've contacted several companies that are currently in the business and either their insurance source is not writing any new policies, or they don't respond. Any additional suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 21 March 2003, 22:45   #5

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Sunrider,I am in touch with Canada every wk and I will ask the question as they build ribs and some are sold into the USA mainly for commercial use.What actualy do you want to insure for charter,dive,training ? As this may have a bearing.Also what type of rib eg value one off or a few?

I can only get back to you a wk on monday if that helps.
Old 22 March 2003, 11:52   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I was told, years ago, by my bruv. that a Lloyds Agent would create/compose a policy for you, to your EXACT specification, go onto the floor at Lloyds of London, and get the policy "written".

I did it for my diving kit, which under some circumstances you want to deliberatly drop to the bottom of the sea. "So what happened to your $5000 underwater camera exactly Sir?" "I threw it away" (cause you are about to drown and you prefer to actually save your life rather than your camera!).
Well would you pay out on that if you were an insurance company?
No normal company would cover this. Lloyds not only did, but were actually cheaper that a regular company anyway! (BTW I believe the technical term is "abundanmunt" for what I wanted).
(Fund of useless knowledge aren't I?)

Have you tried a Lloyds broker?
Old 04 August 2004, 03:14   #7

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
tried rafting?

Although RIB commercial operations are relativly new in the US.the river rafting guys have been at it for some time.
You may want to change your search to river rafting companies and contact them to ask which companies give them cover..
If they insure those "crazies" going down a cat. 5 white water stretch in an oversized doughnut; then a RIB operation should be relativly "plain sailing".Let me know if you get any success;
cheers Dal
Old 04 August 2004, 13:53   #8

thanks for the much appreciated effort and suggestions. within the last month I've discovered two companies that say they are willing to write a policy, and I'm working out details to generate a quote now - so, hopefully, my search has ended. but if anyone comes across specific companies I would appreciate hearing of them..maybe they will have lower rates.

my purpose is to use one or more of my boats for adventure tours/diving/whale watching excursions in Hawaii and/or the mainland US (the location depends on insurance rates and other considerations). I currently have a 30' RIB in Hawaii I'm trying to find a commercial home for, and am looking for someone already in the business to team up with. In Hawaii they use the term "Ocean Rafting" to describe this type of business, and if you Google it the results are typical of my intended use.

thanks again for the helpful replies.
Old 05 October 2004, 02:08   #9

Town: Bay Area, San Francisco, CA
still looking?

I recently insured a tour operation through a company called Port South. No problem with the RIB. Premium approx $2k with no lay up period (year round). If you want I can give you contact info. David. Wilmington NC
Old 01 January 2005, 14:28   #10

Town: Norwalk
Boat name: no name
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Commercial insurance

Sunrider,

Are you still looking for commercial insurance for your RIB?