Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01 September 2005, 03:43   #1
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral / Anglesey
Boat name: Cobalt
Make: Avon 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 150hp
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15

Can anyone point me towards a simple guide to code a rib. The MCA website doesn't really seem to be very clear about it. Any other websites or people you can ring toget info? It's not for serious commercial use. I'd just like to do it for the sake of it really!

nickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2005, 04:51   #2
Pete7's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,912
Nick until recently you needed a copy of the Yellow code book from HMSO or a decent chandlers. The MCA are planning to combine the various codes so have a read of the document below. Its quite a serious undertaking and will cost £2k plus. Deffinately worth reading back though Ribnet as there is lots of information and answers to problems etc.

From the MCA:


Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2005, 06:01   #3
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 827

The link on Pete7's reply is the document that the surveyor used to code my RIB in June - so it looks like that is now the standard used rather than the old 'colour' codes/books.

Its worth having a chat to a surveyor before actually embarking on the coding process - the cost/hassle depends on what your RIB is and what you've got already.

DGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2005, 06:27   #4
Country: UK - England
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 10
Easy Guide to Coding a RIB

On the SpareRIBs site we have attempted to help potential charterers, like your self, with coding your RIB.

Take a look in the Coding Section of the website. We'd be interested in how useful you think it is.

The Coding section of the SpareRIBs site is specifically designed to guide RIB Owners like yourself through "Local Coding" and "MCA Coding" from referring to a chart that simply defines all the different Operating areas, to being able to select your local personal operating area (applying to your RIBs operating port) then guiding you to the appropriate Certificating Authority for you to be licensed/coded with. In some cases around the Solent, a suggested Surveyor may also be listed for you to then contact.

Nick, where are you planning on chartering your RIB out of? If your just planning on using chartering to suplement your RIB cost then "Local Coding" is still the way for you to go.

Some tips on chartering and likely costs that you may incur are also worth checking out on the website. Just have a look via the links I've hopefully set up correctly in this rather long note! or just go to

Cheers, Hope this helps
Andy T
SpareRIBs RIB Hire Agency
Andy T
SpareRIBs RIB Hire Agency
Andy T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:24.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.