Old 24 June 2003, 22:37   #1
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
The Soltron Atlantic Challenge

Later this month Alan Priddy, Clive Tully, Jan Falkowski and Egburt Walters will attempt to make the crossing from St John's, Newfoundland to Cape Wrath in Scotland in less than 100 hours.

The team hopes to leave St John's, weather permitting, on July 27th and they aim to be back in Portsmouth on August 9th. En route they'll stop in Greenland and Iceland before reaching the end point for the record at Cape Wrath in Northern Scotland. After that, they'll make their way back to Portsmouth via Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man.

Clive Tully, crew member and onboard journalist, will be posting regular updates here as the voyage progresses. A camera crew is following them on both sides of the Atlantic, so there should also be a chance to re-live the experience on TV in the autumn when their documentary is scheduled for screening.

More details on the Offshore Expeditions web site

Best wishes to all the crew from RIBnet. I've got my fingers crossed for some decent weather!

John
Old 24 June 2003, 22:49   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Good luck!

Wondered when this was going public!

Good luck. You are of course all bloody mad but I think that point has been proven already. (Except for Eg who seems a relatively normal sort of chap.)

Hopefully see you in Portsmouth. (or if you get REALLY delayed, Newfoundland in August!)

Alan
Old 24 June 2003, 22:56   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Oh yes, anything with the theme 'unfinished business' has got to be worth watching. Best of luck to all - keep the updates coming!
Old 25 June 2003, 05:53   #4

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Hi Alan P

May I be the first to suggest a SoC return gathering.

Keith Hart
Old 25 June 2003, 06:34   #5

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
A Return Trip

Hi Allan & Crew,

I read the article last night in the Portsmouth local newspaper.

I wish you well in your ventures and god's speed for a safe trip & safe return journey.

Very Best Wishes
Old 25 June 2003, 07:20   #6

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Keith, did you ever for one minute imagine that we would not have a home coming party?

Dont know where att this stage but it will be on August 9th
We will keep you updated. Alan P
Old 25 June 2003, 07:53   #7

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Alan P you have our BEST WISHES for a safe and successful voyage.
Old 25 June 2003, 07:58   #8

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Alan the very best of luck, its about time you had some!!!
Andy
Old 25 June 2003, 09:03   #9

Town: Hamble
Dear Mr "Been there and worn out the tee shirt", just been reading about your next record attempt, and I'm a bit confused.

You say that you are attempting to make the crossing in 100 hrs, but by my reckoning the intended dates of july 27th - august 9th is 336 hrs. How does this work out. I realise that you might have to make a few fuel stops, but are you also intending to take the weekends off!

All IMHO, and with the greatest respect.

PS, I'm thinking of competing in the London Marathon next year, but my intention is to do it over 26 days, a mile a day. Hoping to set a new world record!
Old 25 June 2003, 09:20   #10

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Dear Mr Diggler,

I tried for a long time not to lower myself to responding to the sort of posts like your last one in this thread. But as you put IMHO it may take a little bit of time to get from Cape Wrath in Scotland to Portsmouth on the south coast , and if they stop for a break at some time, personally I don't blame them. I was totally knacked after going from Plymouth to Dartmouth and back in one day, And I was only a pasenger.

Anyway.

Good look Alan and crew, hope to be in Portsmouth to welcome you back.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
Old 25 June 2003, 09:57   #11
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
PS, I'm thinking of competing in the London Marathon next year, but my intention is to do it over 26 days, a mile a day. Hoping to set a new world record!
I reckon that running a mile a day for 26 days I'd still be hard pushed to get anywhere near a record marathon time!

As far as I know the target that Alan has set is for time at sea. As the only Atlantic record that the UIM formally recognise is Ambrose Light to the Lizard, the rules for this route are something of a free for all

John
Old 25 June 2003, 10:06   #12

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
Start point is Newfoundland end point is Cape Wrath, that is the Atlantic part out of the way in under 100 hours. Next is a tour of Ireland, Isle of Man and Southern England.

Please visit this thread for updates on the ports that they will be visiting and expected arrival dates. I am sure they will have some Soltron freebies to give away. August the 9th is the big arrival date in Portsmouth.

Dom
Old 25 June 2003, 10:16   #13

Town: Hamble
Aha, thanks for that, it all starts to make sense now.

Quote:

I was totally knacked after going from Plymouth to Dartmouth and back in one day, And I was only a pasenger.

Well Mr costguard, I assume your an Aux then if a little trip like that "totally knackers you", or do you only go boating in "HMS Armchair"?
Old 25 June 2003, 10:37   #14

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
Fantastic news. Good luck. Anything that promots the use of RIBs is good.
Old 25 June 2003, 12:02   #15

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
D Diggler,

Actually I work in the ops room, and befgore that I spent 11 years in the Royal Navy serving in Bosnia, Persian Gulf and the Falklands. The reason I was so knackered is that I broke my spine in 2 places, falling from a helicopter during a winching sortie.

If you look in the gallery section you will see my new rib, not an armchair in sight.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
Old 25 June 2003, 22:26   #16

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
Nice One Alan !

I guessed you had something in the pipeline ...!

Best wishes and safe trip!

If you are on the West Coast of Ireland and need any help from either the School or the Army Boats give me a shout.

Best wishes,

Stuart
Old 26 June 2003, 10:07   #17

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
Come on Clive lets have some pre event info going on. How about your experience at the press launch. How you are feeling about this trip especially after the hardship and memories of the last voyage.

Any body who is following this I would advise getting hold of a copy of Confronting Poseidon by Clive as it gives you a really good insight as to what the team have experienced prior to this trip. It will also give you a feeling as to the importance of this from the crews perspective.

Personally I am looking forward to another event that we can actually follow live as things are happening.
Old 26 June 2003, 10:14   #18

Some of you are wondering how we plan to do this trip in 100 hours and how we can to this figure.

It is based on the timed run we did in 1998 from Tower Bridge in London to The Monaco Yacht club. The distance is about the same as across the Atlantic and we completed the 2200 miles in 99 hours 12 seconds and 15 minutes with four fuel stops.

In 2000 we blasted Cable & Wireless Adventurers best time from Gibralter to Monaco proving that on a leg distance of 750 miles we can average 25 knots. The longest leg we have is 800 nautical from St John's to Greenland and we are only having two fuel stops.

We have carried out some serious mofdifications to the boat and the team think we can achive the time. All we need is a lucky break in the weather.

We have formed a little group to organise the home coming so keep your comments coming Alan P

And don't forget, if you are in Portsmouth, drop into theJolly Sailor for a pint and introduce yourself, I think you wil be impressed.
Old 26 June 2003, 10:59   #19

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Priddy
if you are in Portsmouth, drop into theJolly Sailor for a pint and introduce yourself, I think you wil be impressed.
- Alan, please can you explain...
Is this the establishment sponsoring the challenge? Where is it? Have you become a publican?
Old 26 June 2003, 12:28   #20

Richard

The Jolly Sailor is sponsoring the TV Crew that is following our every move and providing a base for the Press & Media while we are on our travels. I have always said that I would never make my hobby my day job that is why I am not a boat builder. The same goes for being a publican. Drinking is one of my hobbies!

We have lots of other sponsors Hogg Robinson, Yamaha, Cmap, Stratos communication, Stirling communication to mention a few, who are all doing there bit for the cause and Soltron are the title sponsor .
Keep the questions coming Alan P