Old 02 July 2003, 18:13   #1

Boat name: Spirit of Cardiff
Make: Ribtec
Length: 10m +
Engine: Yamaha 240hp diesel
01 - Looking Forward

It's hard to think that a year ago, Alan, Steve and I had just about completed one of the most traumatic passages of our round the world trip. It was five and a half days of hell - brilliant sunshine but 50 knot winds - in the Caribbean. Now Alan, Jan, Egbert and I are looking forward to the coming record attempt across the North Atlantic.

As with last year, I'm going to have my hands full - with updates for this forum, filming for a TV documentary, and generally keeping the media output on track. We're absolutely delighted that BBC Radio 5 Live have agreed to follow us daily throughout the trip, as have BBC Radio Solent and one or two other regional broadcasters. Our TV documentary is being produced by Meridian, and they will have a camera crew in St John's to capture the preparations and departure, and of course our arrival this side of the pond.

It's going to be busy, for sure, short and sweet, but hopefully immensely enjoyable as well. Notwithstanding the risks, I'm looking forward to getting up close to the icebergs around Greenland, and seeing some whales. It's a bit like being an astronaut on board a boat with a 6 by 8 foot cabin, but it somehow enhances your appreciation of the power and magnificent natural beauty of the ocean.

The Jolly Sailor pub in Southsea, whose name now graces the boat, have been going great guns with their support for us, hosting a media launch, and promoting the challenge and associated charities to its customers. It's a great pub, serving good food as well, so pay them a visit if you're in the area, even before we hit the town on August 9th.

Clive Tully
Old 02 July 2003, 23:03   #2

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
All the best Clive. I am looking forward to your future postings on here.

By the Way I need you to sign some more copies of Confronting Poseidon for the people over here. They forgot to get copies at the presentation.

all the best and see you on the 9th.

Dom
Old 03 July 2003, 07:23   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Having followed your daily postings avidly on the RTW trip, even phoning in to Nadia from somewhere off the Schetlands once or twice because I couldn't get to a PC, I am now looking forward to each thrilling episode that you post here on your Arctic trip.
Damm good luck to all of you, and I look forward to coming out to meet you when you come along the south coast (of England !!) and will hopefully get you to sign my copy of Confronting Poseidon too.
Old 07 July 2003, 16:48   #4

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
You can also catch Clives radio 5 live interviews at www.soltron.co.uk
Old 10 July 2003, 17:03   #5

Town: Devon, Alberta
Cheers!

Hello Mr. Tully. I'm very proud that my Dad, Eg Walters, is going on this trip as navigator. I will be reading the updates regularly to track the progress. Best of luck and a SAFE return for all!

« - | Top | 02 - Anniversaries »