Old 07 October 2007, 16:40   #21

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
I am obliged to visit many different parts of the USA several times a year on business, and each time I visit I feel the best thing about going there is leaving.
Old 07 October 2007, 21:07   #22

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post
I am obliged to visit many different parts of the USA several times a year on business, and each time I visit I feel the best thing about going there is leaving.
Sorry to hear about your obligation, it sounds as though it causes you much mental stress.
Old 08 October 2007, 06:38   #23

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
I'm going to hold out a little longer while the $ Canadian : $ US ratio gets a little higher, then buy a nice, mid-sized state. Colorado or Oregon would do just fine.
You can *have* Minnesota.

jky
Old 08 October 2007, 06:52   #24

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
I've always liked the States, - must have something to do with living in Texas as a child - everything else seems pretty normal after that!

For every bit of weirdness that people point to, there is something wonderful- whether it is the outdoors activity, scenery, entreprenuism. It's too big, too diverse to be categorised in one sweeping statement.
Old 08 October 2007, 10:24   #25

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Oh I have nothing at all against the USA - just the idiots who run the country and treat visitors as criminals!!!
Old 08 October 2007, 16:53   #26

Had a long chat ( Skype) with a friend in Southampton yesterday. I would appear that there is a lot of confusion about requirements for a Visa to visit the US. He confirms that if you need one then you have to go the the US embassy in London and stand in a queue. This is not good I agree. However it would appear that most Brits. would qualify for the Visa waiver program.
It would appear that you only need a visa if you British passport was issued OUTSIDE the UK. ( Like mine BTW)
See:http://www.passport.gov.uk/general_b...s_exchange.asp
Hope this helps .
Old 08 October 2007, 17:21   #27

No we don't need a visa - just accept being treated like a criminal.....
Old 08 October 2007, 17:57   #28

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
You can *have* Minnesota.

jky
I like Minnesota, - it's full of tall, blond, gorgeous Scandinavian women, lots of nice lakes in the northeast part of the state. North Dakota on the other hand, reminds me too much of the windswept barren lands of southern Manitoba.
Old 08 October 2007, 19:06   #29

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Had a long chat ( Skype) with a friend in Southampton yesterday. I would appear that there is a lot of confusion about requirements for a Visa to visit the US. He confirms that if you need one then you have to go the the US embassy in London and stand in a queue. This is not good I agree. However it would appear that most Brits. would qualify for the Visa waiver program.
It would appear that you only need a visa if you British passport was issued OUTSIDE the UK. ( Like mine BTW)
See:http://www.passport.gov.uk/general_b...s_exchange.asp
Hope this helps .
Not entirely true if I read the links to the dept of Homeland security. F'r example I have a UK Passport issued in Jan 06 in Ottawa. It's not biometric but does have a digital photo as opposed to a stuck on one. So according to this http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/programs...ge_0021.shtm#2 I can travel to the US under the visa waiver programme.

Incidentally for the frothing Xenophobes amongst you, the security checks upon travelling to the US are pretty much the same as for a non Uk passport holder travelling to the UK. Why should you be any different? US immigration officers have always been famously unpleasant even prior to 9/11 & various gulf wars. But passport officers in many other countries can be equally or more unpleasant. Argentina, China and Russia spring to mind but that hasn't stopped me visiting and enjoying those places.
Old 08 October 2007, 19:11   #30

Alan
You did not read the link properly. Your passport was issued OUTside the UK.
Just like mine.
Old 08 October 2007, 19:22   #31

Quote:
Alan
You did not read the link properly. Your passport was issued OUTside the UK.
Just like mine.
Well I've read the link again (the DHS one) and I can't see where it states that you passport must be issued in the UK to qualify? My passport is from a visa waiver country, has a digital photo so according to my reading of the website should comply. Mind you I haven't travelled to the US on it yet so you might be right.
Old 08 October 2007, 19:41   #32

Alan
It is in the 3rd bulleted item on the link. However, I assume it refers to Brits departing from the UK. May be different rules if you depart from Canada. I would check on it tho.
Regards, T
Old 08 October 2007, 19:50   #33

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Incidentally for the frothing Xenophobes amongst you, the security checks upon travelling to the US are pretty much the same as for a non Uk passport holder travelling to the UK. Why should you be any different? US immigration officers have always been famously unpleasant even prior to 9/11 & various gulf wars. But passport officers in many other countries can be equally or more unpleasant. Argentina, China and Russia spring to mind but that hasn't stopped me visiting and enjoying those places.
I generally expect more hassle coming back into Canada than when going across to the states.
Old 09 October 2007, 02:42   #34

I have just had a long conversation with a major UK travel agent. He confirms that fingerprint of index finger and dig. photo are now required. He also confirms that all UK airports now take a photo when you go through departing document check. The major US airports are having a major problem with the delay caused by these new rules, in particular the attitude of airport employees. There are 3 new pilot programs introduced, at Kennedy, Huston and San Fransisco, to retrain employees to be more efficient, polite, etc. etc. Obviously, we all hope this works, but it will take some time.
Part of the problem is the reputation EU countries have for home grown terrorism. Too late to do anything about that.
Of course all governments are grossly incompetent.
Now here is one for you: why will my US state pension be double that of the one I get from the UK after paying in for 25 years, when I payed for 44years in the UK? Sorry rant over, my arse is sore.
Old 09 October 2007, 11:32   #35

Quote:
I have just had a long conversation with a major UK travel agent. He confirms that fingerprint of index finger and dig. photo are now required. He also confirms that all UK airports now take a photo when you go through departing document check. The major US airports are having a major problem with the delay caused by these new rules, in particular the attitude of airport employees. There are 3 new pilot programs introduced, at Kennedy, Huston and San Fransisco, to retrain employees to be more efficient, polite, etc. etc. Obviously, we all hope this works, but it will take some time.
Part of the problem is the reputation EU countries have for home grown terrorism. Too late to do anything about that.
Isn't that what I said in the first place???

As to home grown terrorism isn't that what the US encouraged with the IRA???

Wonder if there are still collecting boxes for Noraid in New York - maybe they realise the harm now after Sept 11th............
Old 09 October 2007, 14:01   #36

Make: Joker Booat
Engine: Yam 70
Quote:
Sorry Codders you are wrong. All documentation work/checks are done before departure. The only addition procedure that overseas flights have to go through is checked luggage has to be xrayed which does cause an approx. 15 min. delay. My friend from Leeds arrived today so I am sort of up to date.
PS. The wait for a US passport is currently 3 months for the same reason.
Has something changed in the last 6 months then ! I have been flying into US for the last 8 years on a very regular basis and have had to queue, have photo's taken and finger printed on every occasion and thats with a 10 year B1B2 Visa, on most occasions by officious and over bearing immigration officers.

The worst immigration to date has to be the British Virgin Islands !

To be fair most immigration Officers in most countries are officious, they must all go to the same immigration college worldwide. Except for the bloody UK who welcome every bugger with open arms, big kiss and a nice cup of hot tea to make up for the nasty, bumpy little flight over !!!
Old 09 October 2007, 18:38   #37

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Quote:
He also confirms that all UK airports now take a photo when you go through departing document check.
It's not just international flights either. I regularly fly between Manchester and Stansted and always get my photo taken at Manchester. It then gets logged against a reference number and the reference number gets stuck on your boarding card.

Quote:
Part of the problem is the reputation EU countries have for home grown terrorism.
It's not part of the problem, its the ENTIRE problem. We need to get our own house in order before we preach to others about how to keep their countries secure.
Old 09 October 2007, 18:58   #38

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Isn't that what I said in the first place???

As to home grown terrorism isn't that what the US encouraged with the IRA???

Wonder if there are still collecting boxes for Noraid in New York - maybe they realise the harm now after Sept 11th............
Probably are. The Buena Vista Cafe in San Francisco has a rather large bash each St. Patrick's Day with large numbers of donation boxes asking money "For the Cause".

Can't really say that the US Gov't supports it, though.

jky
Old 09 October 2007, 19:32   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Probably are. The Buena Vista Cafe in San Francisco has a rather large bash each St. Patrick's Day with large numbers of donation boxes asking money "For the Cause".

Can't really say that the US Gov't supports it, though.

jky

Oh they used to..............
Old 09 October 2007, 21:00   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Oh they used to..............
Certain US Senators & Congressmen with connections to Ireland certainly courted the Irish American vote by championing the cause, but I think you are stretching the truth by implying that the US Govt had any kind of official support for the IRA. Still, I wouldn't expect reasoned argument from you in any event.

Incidentally, there is a probably apochryphal story of some US Senator/Congressman, probably one of the Kennedies who angily confronted a british soldier whilst on a visit to Northern Ireland and told him to get back to his own country. The squaddie apparently looked him up an down and responded 'I'm in mine sir, how about you get back to yours!' I offer this tale as testament to a certain sympathy with the point of view that some parts of US society had more support than could be justified to the IRA. However tarring all with the same brush is a mistake only the truly ignorant make.