Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Windfarm planned off Poole?

Just spotted this:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sic-coast.html

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2009, 17:28   #2

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
something else to have a look at when out on the boat
Old 24 February 2009, 20:04   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
All sorts of local stress about this. Lots on NIMBYism going on. I say just build the thing . Good idea - not much out there & good fun to go see.
Old 24 February 2009, 21:35   #4

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
something else to have a look at when out on the boat
I love the Daily Mail 'Outrage - artist's impression' - you can barely see the turbines.

And considering the normal level of competence shown by the local councils:

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...combesurfreef/

not telling them seems like good business sense.

Cheers

Chris
Old 25 February 2009, 00:37   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Nothing gets me going more than this crap. They want to cover all our lovely hills with windfarms. Now they are sticking them "out at sea" - the problem is they aren't very far out. Ten miles sounds a lot but with the size of them they will still be an eyesore. Then you have all the pylons and other junk that goes with it.

IF and I repeat IF they made economic sense then fair enough but they don't. No wonder we have some of the most expensive electric in Europe. The only reason companies build them is because of subsidies raised through TAX!!!

Near Swansea there is a new very efficient gas power station. It is so unobtrusive most people don't even know it's there - just looks like a small factory. It produces more power than ALL the windfarms in the UK combined.

i am not in favour of gas either though - it still puts out CO2 - nuclear is the only way forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	526891440Veqgwe_fs.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	40678  
Old 25 February 2009, 08:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Nothing gets me going more than this crap. They want to cover all our lovely hills with windfarms. Now they are sticking them "out at sea" - the problem is they aren't very far out. Ten miles sounds a lot but with the size of them they will still be an eyesore. Then you have all the pylons and other junk that goes with it.

IF and I repeat IF they made economic sense then fair enough but they don't. No wonder we have some of the most expensive electric in Europe. The only reason companies build them is because of subsidies raised through TAX!!!

Near Swansea there is a new very efficient gas power station. It is so unobtrusive most people don't even know it's there - just looks like a small factory. It produces more power than ALL the windfarms in the UK combined.

i am not in favour of gas either though - it still puts out CO2 - nuclear is the only way forward.
Nuclear power as we currently know it is a good temporary solution, but thats a finite resource too. Nothing wrong with windfarms, they may not make economic sense but then neither does most green power
every little bit helps.
An interesting little fact, if they build the severn barrage it wil provide 5-7% of the uk electricity demand, which is also the the same percentage as inductive and corona losses in the uk national grid, one wonders if making the national grid 400KV distribution lines 1MVDC would make more economic sense?? they do it in norway for this reason.
Old 25 February 2009, 12:24   #7

If they don't make economic sense they shouldn't be used!!!

We can be as green as we like - it's just pi**ing in the wind - literally. With China and India using coal global warming will get worse and worse. The greens are too scared to go and protest in china so they would rather make our lives a misery instead.

I agree fission power won't last forever either but it should last long enough for us to get fusion sorted.
Old 25 February 2009, 15:43   #8

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Worked at Sellafield gas powered power station next door to the nuclear one a few years ago. The gas one worked 90% of the time providing the energy the nuclear power station could not.

I do not support wind farms but detest the nuclear option. Why? The radioactive pigeons and seagulls plus plenty of other issues that I suspect are still subject to non disclosure by all who read.

Would you really trust any government of ours to safely procure and run any type of equipment that has the potential to destroy our country?
Old 25 February 2009, 16:00   #9

"The radiactivity in the Irish Sea is 10x higher than background" said Greenpeace - sounds terrible doesn't it? Then you realise the Dead Sea and many health spas have 1000x background and people bathe there for their health!!!

The radiation monitors on the beach at Sellafield are so sensistive there was a scare recently that turned out to be the luminous dial from a Lancaster bomber. people used to wear similar things on their wrists!!!

Have a look at wildlife programmes from around Chernoybyl - man is far worse for the animals than the radiation!!!

12,000 people died in 1 year from smog caused by coal in London. Nuclear is far safer than coal............
Old 25 February 2009, 16:26   #10
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
The BBC have a graphic showing the proposed location.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7905327.stm
Old 25 February 2009, 17:16   #11

That looks a lot more than 10 miles to me!!!
Old 25 February 2009, 17:35   #12

Quote:
" luminous dial from a Lancaster bomber. people used to wear similar things on their wrists!!!...........
I found one of them radium dials (busted) at a spitfire crash sit when i was a kid, and put it in my pocket. theyre alpha emitters so usually the glass contains the radiation. when i got in the bath in the evening i had 0-4000RPM burnt into my leg!

Our radiation expert in work was checking one of the disused airfields we own for radioactive waste, and came across a low level radioactive rock, then another and another, there was a trail of rocks leading from the barracks to the edge of the airfield and through the nearby woods to the village pub.
sometime in the war someone had made a trail of luminous rocks to mark the path to the pub with radium paint to make the journey easy in the blackout.
Old 25 February 2009, 18:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
I found one of them radium dials (busted) at a spitfire crash sit when i was a kid, and put it in my pocket. theyre alpha emitters so usually the glass contains the radiation. when i got in the bath in the evening i had 0-4000RPM burnt into my leg!
Awesome - a new painless alternative to tattoos - you could make a fortune!!!
Old 25 February 2009, 19:13   #14

it didnt last long though, healed up really quickly
Old 25 February 2009, 21:47   #15

Quote:
That looks a lot more than 10 miles to me!!!
Does it? I spend quite a lot of time at sea in the area and it looks about right to me!!!

Bearing in mind that if you look in the other direction from Old Harry Rocks you see Bournemouth , I'm not convinced that a wind farm on the horizon is going to 'spoil' the area!!!

Still, I'm sure Poole residents would rather have a nuclear power station built on their doorstep!!!

Cheers

Chris
Old 26 February 2009, 00:27   #16

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
Still, I'm sure Poole residents would rather have a nuclear power station built on their doorstep!!!
Not this one - bring on the windmills as far as I'm concerned. I also tend to agree that they aren't really that unsightly

Certainly I've no desire to see the UK adopting as its sole energy policy a method that requires dumping small quantities of highly ionising material on then next 1000+ future generations. Many of the radioactive outputs from conventional fission plants have halflives that run into the hundreds (if not thousands) of years. Problems like that don't go away in a hurry - so where and how do you safely store that for a looooonnng time.

IMHO diversity is the key - if we have to have a few nuclear plants then lets keep the number to a minimum, but I accept they may have a place. We've also got a bunch of fossil fuel stations - again not ideal, but so be it. However if we can continually add into the mix a bunch of different renewables (wind, solar, tidal etc) then over time we may well reduce our need for the less pleasant options. All the greener options have their limitations but so do the current generation methods - its just that the problems are different.

Also a member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2009, 07:10   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
IMHO diversity is the key - if we have to have a few nuclear plants then lets keep the number to a minimum, but I accept they may have a place. We've also got a bunch of fossil fuel stations - again not ideal, but so be it. However if we can continually add into the mix a bunch of different renewables (wind, solar, tidal etc) then over time we may well reduce our need for the less pleasant options. All the greener options have their limitations but so do the current generation methods - its just that the problems are different.
Exactly . Large scale nuclear only makes commercial sense if either:

1. You subscribe to the theory that nuclear contamination is harmless, it's all a conspiracy spread by Greenpeace types, or

2. The taxpayer picks up the tab for the clean up, currently some £70bn+ for the existing stations alone.

Thatcher was a big fan of nuclear power, then quietly dropped it. I wonder why...

Change brings new challenges, just like (for example) the move from town gas to natural gas did. The key is investment and good engineering and science (something we still have in this country) to meet the challenges.

Cheers

Chris
Old 26 February 2009, 08:16   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Many of the radioactive outputs from conventional fission plants have halflives that run into the hundreds (if not thousands) of years. Problems like that don't go away in a hurry - so where and how do you safely store that for a looooonnng time.
there are some guys living in caves in Afganistan who will pay to take such waste off your hands...
Old 26 February 2009, 10:55   #19

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Just let them build the things - you'd be hard pushed to see them from Poole or Bournemouth beachs ( Vis is only rarely 10 miles in the summer) . You wont see them from the beach ( distance / vis) . Big boats SHOULD be able togo round them ( out of interest anyone heard of a collision with one yet ? )

And the likes of us can go under / out to have alook at them if we want .

A bit of everything doesn't hurt as had been said.

PS - It'll probabaly never happen much like all the other stuff in and around dorset coastline !
Old 26 February 2009, 13:30   #20

We already have electricity 3x more expensive than France. They have a load of nuke power stations only 25 miles from us. They are one of the few countries on Earth to meet their CO2 promises.

This idea of mixed power is really stupid. If you had a boat with 3 outboards on it and 1 of them was hardly doing anything or only worked for 15% of the time you would soon ditch it if it was costing you money!!!

It is the greens pushing everyone back into the dark ages through ignorance and fear that is doing more harm to this planet than anything.

Germany ditched most of it's nuke powe after Chernobyl and went down the green route. When they discovered that green power was a waste of time they started buying electricity off Russia to meet the shortfall. And how were the russians generating that power? Nuclear of course. personally I would rather see the Germans in charge of a reactor than the Russians.

As to the old few thousand years halflife argument as a Physicist you should know that the longer the halflife the more stable the material. Remember Hiroshima and Nagasaki are thriving cities and wildlife is abundant around Chernobyl.