Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 04 September 2007, 11:07   #41

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I'm such a crap welder that I get the electrode to stick to the metal every time

Shame they don't do one with a 2' arcing ability

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 September 2007, 18:45   #42

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Hightower,
Can I give you some tips on tigging stainless based on you're working with 1" tube etc.?

Most of the tig machines mentioned are probably ok, the one thing you need to look for in a machine is HF (high frequency) start. The other option of scratch start (touching electrode on work to initiate arc) is useless, the moment the electrode touches the work or filler rod you need to stop, remove electrode and re sharpen as it will be contaminated!

Machines I can recomend are Eutectic, Cebora and R-Tech. I have used all these and they are great, unfortunately prob all outside your budget!

Some parameters etc for you:

Tungsten electrode - 2% thoriated (red tip) 1.6mm dia. Grind the tip with a nice long sharp point on it, helps to concentrate the arc.

Gas cup (shroud) smallest dia you have (around 8mm ish is fine)

electrode protruding about 3-5mm depends on if you can get the access (type of joint etc.)

Filler rod - 1.6mm dia 316L (most makes of rod will have 316 in the part no., same as the material you will be using)

Gas - pure argon, from BOC its called Pureshield. Flow should be 13 litres per minute but indoors you can get away with 6-8 lpm no worries. You have to pay annual rental on the bottles so buy the small (size X) bottle, will still last you ages.

Amps - tube to tube around 30-40A, tube to 3mm plate go up to 60-65A

The bits you may not have budgeted for is all the polishing tools and materials. I spent a couple of grand on air die grinders, filing belt sanders, polishing wheels etc etc. its another trade in itself! Its so important to polish out every nick and scratch and smooth off the welds otherwise the chromium oxide layer cant form itself to protect from rusting.

Hope this helps, welcome to PM me or ask anything else would like to know!

Matt
Old 04 September 2007, 19:37   #43

Thanks for the info Matt, I'm still undecided whether to go for the welding and bending gear as yet as I've had some major outlays just recently and am in the process of working out my spare capital (before the missus does ).

I'm very tempted and keen to just get the two backrests for the front seats made and to also have the console screen grabrail made, just to get me on the water ASAP. This should see me in action by the end on the month (I hope). There is a longer term plan however to buy the welding set and manufacture on a small (part time) scale to help with fuel voucers.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 04 September 2007, 19:45   #44

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
No worries, get some more quotes for the backrests imo, £200 each? Shouldn't take 5hrs to knock one of those out.
Old 04 September 2007, 19:52   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
No worries, get some more quotes for the backrests imo, £200 each? Shouldn't take 5hrs to knock one of those out.
I've made backrests before, when I used to work for my old company. They had all the benders and welding gear to hand and didn't mind workers using the kit for themselves. However my new company, whilst having a TIG set is a little more difficult to approach (more to do with being a new boy) so this IMHO would be a little trickier to do.

But such is life I guess

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 04 September 2007, 20:29   #46

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Haven't you got any mates in the old place who will knock up a pair of backrests for you during their tea-break?
If not, I know of a chap in Fareham, who'll make some for you at a lot less than £200 apiece. Let me know if you want his number.
Old 04 September 2007, 21:10   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Haven't you got any mates in the old place who will knock up a pair of backrests for you during their tea-break?
If not, I know of a chap in Fareham, who'll make some for you at a lot less than £200 apiece. Let me know if you want his number.
There are people who could help me there, however they are mainly electricians and the like, and favors with management went when I left as they where very shocked by my change of job. I wouldn't want my friends to get into trouble by doing work behind the managers backs.

I would be interested in your friend, please give me his name, email and telephone number and I'll arrange to meet him at the weekend if thats possible.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 04 September 2007, 21:45   #48

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
PM sent Andy.