Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 15 December 2005, 07:40   #21

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
You might also find there is a %-age of nitrogen added by some suppliers..for taste reasons (!)...to brewers CO2.... CO2 works much better through a purpose built regulator with a heater built in….. or a stand alone gas heater... and you might find that the method of withdrawal from the cylinder varies between “brewers” and welders … our cylinders are fitted for vapour withdrawal..... some of us use Argon without CO2 for welding materials other than Aluminium alloys... adding CO2 to Argon for root passes at "dip" amperages is acceptable but not at spray or pulse amperages.... added CO2 is a no-no if you have particular corrosion issues in austenitic stainless steel......and you might find that CO2 welds perfectly well on its own without blending for those of us who use it for certain welding processes..... and you might find that some of the advice on here is complete drivel....but what would I know… If I rebut any silliness posted by some of the more “vocal” members on this board.. I’m leapt on for “bashing”… just bite the bullet and buy your gasses for the purpose for which they were intended… it’s much easier…. And if your after a cheap price on rentals…try playing off you local BOC/Air Products/ Whoever sales representatives… but they’re really only interested in those who spend thousands a week on gas….. good luck!
Old 15 December 2005, 08:03   #22

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Jono. Make sense to me.

I only found out about brewers CO2 when I ran out on a Sunday and had a chat with a friendly landlord. Not sure if the rough welding that followed was down to the gas or the beer I had to buy to qualify for the loan of the cylinder.

Codders, you dont stand a chance of mixing your own.
Old 15 December 2005, 09:52   #23

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cracking Day
Make: Tohatsu
Engine: Optimax 150
I can get you massive bottles filled for £60 no contract and little bottles (pub) about a tenner (no contract)

On the paintball site we only use the liquid Co2 and you can weld for ages of the gas that we throw away so if you're only using it every so often we could rig a fill set up and you caqn pay peanuts for plain gas.

Andy
Old 15 December 2005, 10:06   #24

These here "paint ball guns" ? Where do I find good info on them..? Best buy/most accurate/Etc?... Google? or can you aim (sic) me at a good site straight off?
Old 15 December 2005, 13:36   #25

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
You might also find there is a %-age of nitrogen added by some suppliers..for taste reasons (!)...to brewers CO2.... CO2 works much better through a purpose built regulator with a heater built in….. or a stand alone gas heater... and you might find that the method of withdrawal from the cylinder varies between “brewers” and welders … our cylinders are fitted for vapour withdrawal..... some of us use Argon without CO2 for welding materials other than Aluminium alloys... adding CO2 to Argon for root passes at "dip" amperages is acceptable but not at spray or pulse amperages.... added CO2 is a no-no if you have particular corrosion issues in austenitic stainless steel......and you might find that CO2 welds perfectly well on its own without blending for those of us who use it for certain welding processes..... and you might find that some of the advice on here is complete drivel....but what would I know… If I rebut any silliness posted by some of the more “vocal” members on this board.. I’m leapt on for “bashing”… just bite the bullet and buy your gasses for the purpose for which they were intended… it’s much easier…. And if your after a cheap price on rentals…try playing off you local BOC/Air Products/ Whoever sales representatives… but they’re really only interested in those who spend thousands a week on gas….. good luck!

Am I better off using neat Argon for welding mild steel with a Mig or a Co2/Argon mix? I thought that you get better weld penetration with CO2 present? I know you get far less spatter with Argon present and I find it easier to see what's going on.

For stainless I will use pure Argon with my TIG but how well would it work for mild steel with my mig???

I really don't do enough welding to justify renting bottles - CO2 is easy - can pick them up for £9 a bottle with no rental.
Old 15 December 2005, 15:02   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Am I better off using neat Argon for welding mild steel with a Mig or a Co2/Argon mix? I thought that you get better weld penetration with CO2 present? I know you get far less spatter with Argon present and I find it easier to see what's going on.

For stainless I will use pure Argon with my TIG but how well would it work for mild steel with my mig???

I really don't do enough welding to justify renting bottles - CO2 is easy - can pick them up for £9 a bottle with no rental.

Do you really want my advice? On the presumption you want advice and not an argument, here goes... It's not "black and white". Different gases are just one of the twenty or more variables in a weld set up. They will perform different functions depending on the different conditions you are using, different base materials, consumables and the result you are looking for. For instance, we sometimes use "pure" CO2 for MIG (or technically MAG) welding Carbon Steel, when we need a more controllable arc. As a "rule of thumb" and without knowing anything about your set-up, requirements or skill levels, I would suggest that you use around a 12% CO2/2%O2 in Argon mix I suspect you know it as Argoshield mid/universal. This should cover anything you want to weld ….if you’re welding light gauge stuff you might want to drop the CO2 to 5% (light) and if you go thick use 20% (Heavy).. keep your pure Argon for shielding/backing on your TIG set… and don’t use CO2 without the right cylinder/equipment….or at least not if you’re after quality work…
Old 15 December 2005, 15:25   #27

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Do you really want my advice? On the presumption you want advice and not an argument, here goes... It's not "black and white". Different gases are just one of the twenty or more variables in a weld set up. They will perform different functions depending on the different conditions you are using, different base materials, consumables and the result you are looking for. For instance, we sometimes use "pure" CO2 for MIG (or technically MAG) welding Carbon Steel, when we need a more controllable arc. As a "rule of thumb" and without knowing anything about your set-up, requirements or skill levels, I would suggest that you use around a 12% CO2/2%O2 in Argon mix I suspect you know it as Argoshield mid/universal. This should cover anything you want to weld ….if you’re welding light gauge stuff you might want to drop the CO2 to 5% (light) and if you go thick use 20% (Heavy).. keep your pure Argon for shielding/backing on your TIG set… and don’t use CO2 without the right cylinder/equipment….or at least not if you’re after quality work…
Yes I did want your advice - I am a long way from being a skilled welder - I am great at anything that does not require freehand work - fine on a lathe or milling machine etc but no artistic talent of ANY description!!!

Can I use the same Argoshield for welding stainless with my TIG??? Not for the backing gas - as the main one???
Old 15 December 2005, 15:35   #28

Stick with "straight" Argon for your TIG set. There are lots of mixed gases that you can use, but Argon will do fine for your needs, I think..
Old 15 December 2005, 16:57   #29

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cracking Day
Make: Tohatsu
Engine: Optimax 150
www.powerball.co.uk although i can supply at cheaper as i am a trade acc holder. Their guns are superb.