Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Wasp's nest

Think we have a wasp's nest in our bird-table. Noticed it the other day as there were more wasps than normal in the back garden. I'm not great around wasps - as my neighbours will testify. My first instinct was to 'torch' the bird-house. Extreme I know... but you know it will do the job. Think I should be able to get a black bag over it at night and then spray insecticide into it.

Came across this video. Like the improvised fish-slice utensil, complete with gaffer tape!

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 29 May 2011, 09:41   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
We have them every year, just leave it be, you don't bother them, they don't bother you. They'll leave at the end of the season. Enjoy them instead of fearing them. When they're gone investigate the empty nest, it'll amaze you.
Old 29 May 2011, 09:43   #3
RIBnet Supporter

I'm a big fan of the scorched earth approach myself - a diesel soaked rag burning on a stick, applied below the entrance after dark.

This works on more than just wasps.....

Old 29 May 2011, 09:57   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
If you don't like JW's approach (e.g. they are causing a problem with kids, or coming in your kitchen a lot) then you get a white powder for wasp nests at B&Q or garden centres. You just need to apply a little "puddle" of this close to the entrance of the nest - it doesn't involve disturbing the nest and you can do it when they are mostly inside so your risk of getting stung is tiny. Then leave it for a day. If the nest is big or has a couple of entrances you might need to do it twice - but it is very effective.
Old 29 May 2011, 09:58   #5

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
We have them every year, just leave it be, you don't bother them, they don't bother you. They'll leave at the end of the season. Enjoy them instead of fearing them. When they're gone investigate the empty nest, it'll amaze you.
That depends - last time I had a wasp sting when I was a kid it landed me at hospital with an ear the size of a grapefruit. Fortunately we don't have them here so I only have to contend with them on holiday

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2011, 10:52   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Think I should be able to get a black bag over it at night and then spray insecticide into it.
If you can get a black bag over it, any aromatic solvent in it will kill them as long as it's sealed in and left for a day or so. The advanage of that is the solvent will disperse from the bird house afterwards whereas insecticide may not.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2011, 11:02   #7

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Put the bird table that yahoo group freecycle or freegle and get the new owner to remove it...
Old 29 May 2011, 22:37   #8

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
As with others - I agree with JW's consensus to leave them if you can. However as Polwart says sometimes they have to be removed if they are proving to real hazard. This was our case .

We had quite a large nest (about the size of a football) to deal with and ended up getting some of the aerosol foam spray from DIY outlet. At evening ,when activity is much lower, you begin by spraying foam into nest entrance(s). Then proceed to cover all nest with foam. Leave for 24h then can be safely removed.

Also a member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2011, 15:23   #9

Boat name: Kikican
Make: Vipermax 7
Length: 7m +
Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
I had a decent size one right above my front door last year.

Put on drysuit, hard hat, mozzy net over the head (the hat keep the mozzy net away from the face) and riggers gloves. Shame I never took a picture...

No idea what would happen so I put a pint of petrol in the wheely bin in case I had to exercise the nuclear option. Manovered the bin under the nest and then sliced it off with a kayak paddle. It fell into the bin and I flipped the lid closed. By morning, all the wasps in the bin were dead. Presume they had been gassed by the petrol fumes.

Richard
Old 31 May 2011, 20:10   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Selman View Post

Put on drysuit, hard hat, mozzy net over the head (the hat keep the mozzy net away from the face) and riggers gloves. Shame I never took a picture...

No idea what would happen so I put a pint of petrol in the wheely bin in case I had to exercise the nuclear option. Manovered the bin under the nest and then sliced it off with a kayak paddle. It fell into the bin and I flipped the lid closed. By morning, all the wasps in the bin were dead. Presume they had been gassed by the petrol fumes.

Richard
Textbook operation. So far I've 'bagged' the bird-table. Picking up insecticide spray at the weekend. Meant to be hot, so need to deal with it sooner or later.
Old 01 June 2011, 21:02   #11

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Last summer we also had an issue. I don't mind but the kids and washing machine operator
are really scared.

The "nest" was inside the area where the roof meets the wall, impossible to access.
We extended the piping of an old vacuum cleaner, and positioned it close to the inlet to the nest. Had it running daytime during a weekend, blocked "emergency " exits before that

They all got sucked in, hundreds of them in the bag when operation was completed.
Old 01 June 2011, 21:18   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Dear God, I thought that the notion of me with a pillow case and flaming torch was scary - you guys are a Humane Society nightmare!

"There's smoke, and there's flames, now, and the frame is crashing to the ground, not quite to the mooring mast... Oh, the humanity..."
Old 03 June 2011, 22:19   #13

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Selman View Post

Richard
Now that is good

Can I just offer one more tip .. a thunderflash lobbed in just to complete the job is in my humble opinion very neccessary lookout for debris over a few hundred yards .. but you have done the right thing
Old 04 June 2011, 11:06   #14

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Dear God, I thought that the notion of me with a pillow case and flaming torch was scary - you guys are a Humane Society nightmare!

"There's smoke, and there's flames, now, and the frame is crashing to the ground, not quite to the mooring mast... Oh, the humanity..."
Don't try this at home kids!

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">