Old 28 April 2004, 23:10   #1

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Volvo T5 AWD

Anyone any first hand experience of these? More specifically towing and/or launching with one?

I'm thinking ahead a few months but want to replace three cars with one... a 4x4 (My Rangie), a reasonably quick sports car (My MR2) and an estate car (My 405)... this might just be the ticket. An A6 estate quattro is also on the cards but i think the T5 is quicker.
Old 28 April 2004, 23:59   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
It aint gonna be as good as a Rangie when you need real 4x4 grunt and traction but I'dve thought for your RIB it'd be upto the job. I used to launch and recover 6.5m with V6 Mundano and only got it stuck once

Nice car. I looked for one last year but ended up with S60 which is a darn sight faster than the Trooper it replaced! Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo is the beast to go for on Audi's. 230hp Quattro is v. fast! The other car you might want to consider is the Subaru forester XT (Turbo version.). Tows 1500kg, 0-60 in 8 secs and handles v. well. Also has that bit of ground clearance that can be useful when launching.

If you go for the volvo I can recommend suppliers of pipe, slippers, tartan travel rug and labrador

Alan
Old 29 April 2004, 05:54   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
How about a VW Touareg? That looks like it might fit the bill!

John
Old 29 April 2004, 07:18   #4

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
don,t spend a penny unit the new discovery comes out the old one have been
around a long time and can do the lot. the new one is now set at BMW X5 and volvo XC90
standards and is as good as the new range rover seven seats is allso good
i think it hits the street at the end of the summer

the volvo will drop its price like a lead ballon as all volvos do and it a lot of money to loose when you sell on

daniel
Old 29 April 2004, 07:31   #5

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
I've gone for the A4 quattro convertable only the 1.8 T version( getting old). Don't like the big 4x4's but no doubt will need one when stuck. Unlike you, I don't need an estate but like to get sunburnt on my head - and theres more of that each year %4!2@><

here's a joke the tow bar is £750 factory fit. Nice bit of kit - slides up under the bumper when not in use -but for F*** sake 750 !!!!!

Paul
Old 29 April 2004, 07:46   #6

Length: 5m +
MMSI: Nope
Niiiiice
Old 29 April 2004, 08:09   #7

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
my boss just got a x5 he still has his dicovery that i have most weekend
bmw want £890 for the tow bar. landrover fitted it free
Old 29 April 2004, 08:59   #8

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Daniel

I've got the new shape Volvo V70 2.4T (200hp) - I think the T5 has 250hp. And yes, Alan, I'm afraid to admit I do have a tartan travel rug and a labrador!! I have to say it's a massively relaxed tourer and remarkably refined and the 5 pot engine is a real beaut. However, the problem with T5s has always been shedfulls of torque steer, although that may not be such an issue with the 4WD version. As DanielTD5 points out, the other major issue with Volvos is depreciation - mine cost £27,000 three years ago and has a partex value of around 3K, albeit it's got 88,000 miles on it. Thankfully it's a company car Furthermore, Volvo parts and servicing are renowned for being a preposterous rip-off - I regularly get bills of £600 for routine services.

I would go for the Audi A6 if it was my money, although don't think you'll be immune to huge parts and service bills and like all cars of that ilk you'll suffer large depreciation too, although not at quite the rate of a T5. VW Touareg - forget it. Very accomplished car but they've sold about 2 in the UK, everybody hates their looks and it'll be a nightmare to sell on. New Discovery looks nice, although as with every new Land Rover product, I'd give it at least 18mths for them to sort out the inevitable teething problems and even then I'd extend my 3yr warranty cover.

By the way, how on earth does Audi justify £750 for a tow bar and BMW £890 for same? Factory fitted towbar on my Range Rover was just on £500 quid and I know which one I'd trust first.
Old 10 May 2004, 18:46   #9

Town: Reading
Boat name: Top Banana (Own Half with Daniel)
Make: Osprey Viper
Length: 6.0m
Engine: Outboard, Merc Optimax 150 Saltwater
I'd go for the A6 everytime, if you want fast go for the 2.8t, but they do a 4.2l version aswell , if you want faster go for the S6, and really fast RS6 (if you have a spare £50k). Wouldn't dunk that in the sea though! As you know I have an A6 but it's a saloon, it has done 165000 miles now and still going strong, doesn't use oil, or water, has not needed a clutch in the time I've had it (45k miles), it's very comfortable, and all the electrics still work, inc the climate control. Don't by a red one though ;-). Comes with a ***** recommendation and my next one will be an A6 Quattro estate 2.8t.
Old 10 May 2004, 19:03   #10

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Quote:
Volvo T5 AWD
Daniel,

I`ve been using both T4 and T5 for a Osprey Viper 6m and both cars worked really well.
The T4 was a little stiffer than the T5 the T5 is offcourse the best choice of them.
I am Swedish so i say go for Volvo before Audi

Quote:
I regularly get bills of £600 for routine services.
Have to say that the service was very expensive in UK, we pay like 200 GBP for a routine service.
Old 10 May 2004, 20:23   #11

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
New Car

Hi Daniel,

How could you even consider another make of vehicle, it has to be another RR. P38A model with TD5 engine suberb.

What weight are you towing fully loaded? Remembering the 80% rule for safe towing. Is the Volvo heavy enough for that?

I must admit I hate all volvo's but that is because I am an Ex Biker.

Happy Hunting.

P.s. Don't forget to call me re:-Treasure Hunt Thanks.
Old 10 May 2004, 20:53   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
Have you consider Toyota LC90 (the smaller Land Cruiser) over here this vehicle is very popular for towing and also for offroad uses.
First picture shows the LC90 modification on 33" tires
Second picture shows LC90 modification on 35" tires
Third picture shows LC90 modification on 38" tires
Final picture shows standard LC90
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33%20lc90%20st.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	5635   Click image for larger version

Name:	35%20lc90%20st.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	5636   Click image for larger version

Name:	38%20lc90%20st.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	5637   Click image for larger version

Name:	1487size300x400.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	5638  
Old 10 May 2004, 21:09   #13

Town: Port Logan
Boat name: Red Fox
Make: Zodiac Pro 500
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
MMSI: 232004329
Had a white T5, went like a bullet and burnt off bikers so that could be why Aging Youth don't like em! Being white most cars slowed down when I appeared in the rear view mirror and then moved over. Had to put new tyres on every 18000miles, but enjoyed every minute of it. Sold it for a Discovery cos I couldnt see it pulling up the beach with a rib on the back...but the 4x4 version should be fine if you rope it across the softer sand if indeed it is a beach you launch from. The Volvo wont even notice the rib on the back! But just make sure you remember you have one on! Bit like driving a rib...you have a smile on your face all the time.
At the end of the day it's your choice...just my vote would be for the Volvo, fast, safe, roomy and bugs a lot of folk as you fly by (including bikers). I had the optional extra of having the rear wiper installed in the inside of the rear window...to wipe the golden retriever off.
Old 10 May 2004, 21:16   #14

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Youth
Remembering the 80% rule for safe towing. Is the Volvo heavy enough for that?
Is any car? I think that you have to accept that once a boat's on the back, the 80% rule is out of the window. 135% for me. Rouge Wave has re-named it the 300% rule.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2004, 21:53   #15

Town: Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Youth
Hi Daniel,

How could you even consider another make of vehicle, it has to be another RR. P38A model with TD5 engine suberb.
Ah yes. A stat from 2000 when I worked at LR that sticks in my mind was that an owner of a P38A (Thats the last RR before the current BM engineered one) had a 50% likelyhood of using the free breakdown and recovery service within the 3 years of warranty.

So not a car I personally would suggest as a second hand buy!

I also agree with Richard that the 80% rule whilst being good practice is impractical for big RIBS. What is sensible is the meatiest heavyest tow vehicle practical. For a 7.5m+ RIB thats a decent 4x4 e.g. LR/Disco/RR, Trooper, Landcruiser, Grand Cherokee etc. A RAV4 of other softroader wont cut the mustard.

For Daniel and a smaller RIB a 4x4 estate car would seem to fit the bill so T5 AWD good idea or A6 Quattro (as prev. suggested.). Other alternative could be Subaru Outback 3.0L but not as screamy fast as the T5 or Audi!
Old 10 May 2004, 22:01   #16

I had a look at the A6 Quattro on Audi's website - impressive at 1900kg rating on 12% incline. For "standard" cars you've gotta go Merc (2100kg) to better that (but loose the 4x4 option) unless anyone knows better? Couldn't find anything about Volvo on their glossy marketing website.
Old 10 May 2004, 22:08   #17

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Thanks for your input guys... some of you are missing the point here i feel - my requirments are to replace nearly all if not all of my cars - so a 'normal' 4x4 simply does not fit the bill, Rangie's, Landcruisers etc. are not options.

A powerfull (as fast as poss.) 4x4 estate is what i need.

I think Phil has hit the nail on the head when he said a serious downpoint of Volvo's is their depreciation - a £27k car worth £3k a few years down the line... that's the kind of car i want...over a £20k discount!!! Having looked into it i can't get so much for my money with an Audi.

Tappy if you really are going to buy a A6 Quattro estate 2.8t then i think i'll get the AWD T5 and then we can compair directly . Alternatively (and more likely ) is letting you buy the Audi, me buying another 280bhp MR2 turbo and simply stealing the Audi all the time

Kevin, i havent forgotten you, i'll try and call tommorow, but all is in hand.

Thanks again guys, keep the comments coming but remember a "real" 4x4 is not what i am looking for here
Old 10 May 2004, 23:48   #18

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Quote:
For "standard" cars you've gotta go Merc (2100kg) to better that (but loose the 4x4 option) unless anyone knows better?
Yep. Merc have jumped on the 4x4 saloon/estate bandwagon, so you can now get a Merc E-class 4matic as they call it. This would ideally replace all your cars, you could even bring it to Brabus for them to drop in a 6.3 litre V12, 640 bhp and 762lb.ft!!! of torque won't have any trouble towing anything in one of these!! Only problem is the price

I'd go for a used Volvo T5 and with the extra cash you'd save on the Audi, fit a chip and Boost controller and some VERY BIG BRAKES!!
Old 10 May 2004, 23:53   #19

Town: West London
Boat name: Asp
Make: A BLACK Stealthly Metzeler
Length: 4m + really stealthy
Engine: Johnson 70hp VRO - not steathly at all!
4x4 estate car"!"

Daniel,

So you are looking for a Audi based car without the Audi price. Boy, this is so easy....

A SKODA

The 4x4 Octavia 1.8T has all the Audi running gear minus the price tag. It will also push out 180hp (with just a chip change) although I believe you can get a reliable 200hp & this will give you quite a shock. £16K brand new & VERY LITTLE DEPRECIATION.

Try 1 - you might even like it.

Oh, try to get in the Audi first - you will hardly notice a difference, internally & externally.

Pete
Old 11 May 2004, 08:47   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki416
A SKODA
Hey Pete, I heard that people throw everything except the wheels away and then fit the wheels to the trailer!