Old 22 November 2010, 18:20   #21

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Seamanship can well be very different to skill on the helm.

If that were not the case we would all be competing at the next Olympics. Its one thing to understand the theory of what you should/could/would do, and a massively different thing to be able to do it, especially under pressure.
  • Was the action risky, sure it was.
  • Were there other options, of course.
  • Was this action the correct one, tbh I cant say, i do not have all the facts.
  • Did this take a large degree of boat handling skill, most definitely. (As well as some luck.)

95%+ of sailors would have ended up in a complete mess, and yes if you think its to rough to go in, your definitely right.
I know my own limits, and my limits are not the same as the sailor before me or the sailor after me.
Would i have done the same thing? I cant say as i do not have all the details.

I have entered harbours under sail in bft 8+ with no engine at night in a similar sized boat. testing? - Yes very.
Did i want to stay out for another 6 hours at night in that wind? - You must be joking, I've no idea if the boat would take that sort of pounding.

Every one has to make there own minds up on what to do in any situation, many many factors affect these decisions.
My point before and still, there is no one here, regardless of their own Skill/experience/knowledge can make a valid judgement based on a 67 second clip and some googling on the the boat. Maybe there was a medical emergency, or the boat was sinking we don't have all the facts.

Its easy to sit behind a PC in judgement of everyone, I wonder how many could pull off the same manoeuvre if they really had to?
Old 22 November 2010, 20:25   #22

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
I have to agree

Seamanship isnt always about reading manuals and following what someone else has said .. that may be true on many occasions, but on the odd one when somone finds themselves in their own situation.. they have to make a decision on their own merits

The sea (or your environment) is never like that ,.. it does not come in a pre defined way, you always .. always find yourself in a predicament from time to time that no amount of training gets you around .. and in the heat of the moment I wonder how many would forget what they've spent years learning anyway, or were judiciously able to implement

Sure .. knowing your weather and crew, and boat are everything .. maybe this guy did ? .. and maybe he was one of the ever decreasing numbers that had the gumption to put it all together and get the job done ..

It reminds me of the PCSO's standing at a lake side watching a child drown, because they were not qualified in rescue techniques .. and wouldnt help the child (IIRC)

God help us if we never take a chance ever again .. for better .. or for worse
Old 22 November 2010, 21:22   #23

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Golly, how deep this thread has got.

I only really posted it for entertainment and the title was a little tongue in cheek. It took both skill and a little luck, the rest was down to the skipper as to why, how
Old 23 November 2010, 12:31   #24

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Not bad though! It's like chinese whispers. In 22 posts we got from a simple Youtube link for viewing entertainment, to the moral and H&S issues of a PCSO and a drowning child.

The wonders of ribnet

Perhaps if all the members on here (me included of course) spent the time we do posting on threads about the rights and wrongs of the world and others actions, working for charity instead, we would all be in a happier place!
Old 23 November 2010, 13:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Not bad though! It's like chinese whispers. In 22 posts we got from a simple Youtube link for viewing entertainment, to the moral and H&S issues of a PCSO and a drowning child.

The wonders of ribnet

Perhaps if all the members on here (me included of course) spent the time we do posting on threads about the rights and wrongs of the world and others actions, working for charity instead, we would all be in a happier place!
With comments like these, have you ever thought of entering a Miss World competion
Old 23 November 2010, 16:56   #26
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
With comments like these, have you ever thought of entering a Miss World competion
You'd wonder, wouldn't you. But the fact is that he just got rejected from the 69 Club.

Quote:
Gutted, just seen there are 69 people with 1000 or more posts, missed out on a decent number by 1!
Old 23 November 2010, 19:28   #27

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
Golly, how deep this thread has got.
Cheers willk! But with words like "Golly" I think you should have more concerns about 250kts' sexuality! Not heard that since Xmas films like Mary poppins when I was about 7!!
Old 23 November 2010, 19:40   #28

Ah, so you never collected the Non-white figures as supplied by a certain jam company
Old 23 November 2010, 19:47   #29

Quote:
Cheers willk! But with words like "Golly" I think you should have more concerns about 250kts' sexuality! Not heard that since Xmas films like Mary poppins when I was about 7!!
And there was you berating the earlier direction of a thread too pot kettle black ,.. in no particular order

Well .. if you hadn't noticed.. its a forum .. where people share and argue opinions, and one that does it in a gentlemanly fashion IMVHO (except when that 'cad' Mollers is about! ) .. so come on .. are we becoming a risk averse society .. yes or no ? and justify ........
Old 23 November 2010, 19:51   #30
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
yes or no ? and justify ........
Here, swally this - you know how you get when you forget your "medicine"
Attached Images

Old 23 November 2010, 19:55   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Here, swally this - you know how you get when you forget your "medicine"
here .. I recognise that glass .. is that one I left behind somewhere ?