Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 18 September 2006, 06:01   #1

Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
Towing a Searider 7.4M diesel with a Mitsubishi Shogun

Is it possible? Well technically its a Mitsubishi Montero 1989 v6 (3.0liter) manual transmission 4x4, short wheel base. I'm looking at a Searider 7.4m inboard diesel. I think it weights around 4000lbs dry? I'm hoping to store it in a boat yard near the ramp but want to be able to occassionally tow it to the gas station and around town if need be. Is it possible to use my Montero/shogun for this task? Will I blow out the transmission? I figure I will get alot of torque for pulling it out of the water if I put the truck into 4 lo gearing.

Other info: Its a 120 hp inboard diesel connected to a Volvo duoprop outdrive.
Is this a decent/reliable combination? What about fuel economy and speed? It comes on an aluminum dual axle (braked) trailer.

What about these 7.4 Seariders? Are they good or bad boats? + vs - traits or things to consider?

I think I've outgrown my 5.4 although I do love it dearly.

Cheers,

Boatster
Old 18 September 2006, 09:38   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I believe the Montero/Pajero/Shogun has a braked towing capacity of something like 2800kg (which is about 6000lb - though check it in the book in case it is different in the States) so you should be fine.

Mitsubishi transmissions seem pretty tough, the petrol engines are fairly revvy I think so perhaps not as good a choice for towing as the diesels would be, but I'm sure it will be fine, as you say you will have no problems at all in launching and recovery using low range, I do this in my Defender on a steep rocky slipway and it will pull up the slipway at idle in 1st low range. The Mitsubishi low range gearing is not quite as low I don't think, but still more than up to that task. I think I'd use the permanent 4WD when towing on road in high range, Mitsubishis have a 2WD for normal on road use but I think towing a heavy trailer and putting all the load through the back axle might be pushing your luck a bit and I think they say you should use the 4WD mode for towing, just make sure the centre diff is UNLOCKED as otherwise you may damage the transmission.

Can't help you on the boat, though it sounds nice
Old 18 September 2006, 13:26   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Whatever you tow most of it comes down to the trailer - I have towed 12000lbs with my Landrover that felt really safe and yet I have towed a 4400lbs trailer that was all over the place!!! I love the way you Yanks stick to imperial but can't you use tons instead of pounds???

As to diesels the main reason we in the UK use them is becuase we pay about 3 times as much for petrol as we do for diesel due to strange taxes.. Having said that they do go on for ever and don't have much electrical trouble so they are ideal in a workboat environment. Volvo duoprops are very well proven.
Old 18 September 2006, 15:13   #4

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatster_sr4
Its a 120 hp inboard diesel connected to a Volvo duoprop outdrive.Boatster
That sounds a bit miserable on a big heavy boat, take it for spin on the water before you buy it and see if its fast enough for you.

Pete
Old 18 September 2006, 15:34   #5

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
That sounds a bit miserable on a big heavy boat, take it for spin on the water before you buy it and see if its fast enough for you.

Pete

I'm with Mr 7. Typically that size of commercial spec Avon would have 200hp+. I imagine that 120hp is going to give it a top speed not much more than 20kts.

As to towing, well in Europe towing that size boat with a Shogun/Montero/Pajero wouldn't raise an eyebrow. In North America, you'll be wanting a one ton pickup with a 6.0L V8 Diesel I'd say?
Old 18 September 2006, 17:01   #6

Yes it does go about 20 knots from what I've been told. If the fuel economy is good I can live with that I suppose. Eventually I can put in a bigger diesel yes? I'm all for fuel economy but my only concern would be if the current power plant is good for handling the rough stuff. Would I be under powered if I were out in rough conditions. Afterall this is the reason I want to get such a bigger boat. Well that and the increased space/safety/cool factor

Also does anyone know what would my fuel economy be like? gph mpg etc??

Or would I get better economy if I just stuck a 4 stroke 70hp on my 5.4 searider?

I do think it would be a bit funny looking towing that with my Montero.
I just think if you guys across the pond can get away with it, why can't we?
I don't want to buy a big Ford, or GMC just to tow this beast!
Old 18 September 2006, 17:51   #7

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Why don't you stick a 90 4 stroke on the back of the 5.4 Searider.
That big Avon sounds nice but I bet its a nightmare to tow and launch. Also what condition is the engine in. How long before that diesel engine needs a major overhaul or even replacing. At least with a new 90 on the back of your present boat you will have a boat you know all about and a trustworthy engine on the back. I like the Searider 5.4, the only reason I would change it is if you like to take out friends and family then it becomes too small just because of the way the seats are set out.
Having said that if you have a nice towing vehicle, somewhere to store/moor the big boat and its what you really want then no doubt thats the way you'll go.
The lack of power might be an issue in rough seas.
Old 18 September 2006, 20:22   #8

Quote:
Yes it does go about 20 knots from what I've been told. If the fuel economy is good I can live with that I suppose. Eventually I can put in a bigger diesel yes? I'm all for fuel economy but my only concern would be if the current power plant is good for handling the rough stuff. Would I be under powered if I were out in rough conditions. Afterall this is the reason I want to get such a bigger boat. Well that and the increased space/safety/cool factor
My comment on that would be that I wouldn't spend money buying a boat that I wasn't happy with from the start, it is one thing buying one then finding later on that it is not big enough/not fast enough/not shiny enough or whatever, but if you have doubts about it now, they will probably only be magnified once you have had it for a while?
Old 18 September 2006, 21:21   #9

Yes, I think the speed might be an issue for me. I'm being offered what I think is a really good price. But the question is, would it be easy to upgrade the diesel to a bigger one? Are 2nd hand diesels easy to find and not too expensive? I guess thats something I'd need to look into this side of the pond. If it does go too slow, why would they put such an underpowered motor in to begin with?
Old 18 September 2006, 22:00   #10

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
In answer to your last question. Does this boat have the engine its always had or have they stuck an engine in it just to sell it.
The other thing is we are all busy talking about the boat but I bet you few of us have been in that boat. Therefore you need to try it and see what you think of it. It might be okay. But there again we might be right and it could be underpowered.
Let us know.
Old 19 September 2006, 00:48   #11

I'm going to have to ask about that. I've got a slight feeling I might be getting in over my head. Although dropping in a larger motor myself does sound like a fun challenge. I also have visions of my wallet getting dangerously thin...
Old 19 September 2006, 00:51   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Shame you're over the pond or I'd be after your 5.4

I've convinced the far better half to let me save up for a bigger boat and its just gotta be a searider

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 02:34   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2

I've convinced the far better half to let me save up for a bigger boat and its just gotta be a searider
Isn't somebody doing a cross Atlantic run in an oversized RIB?

Where's your sense of adventure man
Old 19 September 2006, 02:36   #14

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Yes, I think the speed might be an issue for me. I'm being offered what I think is a really good price. But the question is, would it be easy to upgrade the diesel to a bigger one? Are 2nd hand diesels easy to find and not too expensive? I guess thats something I'd need to look into this side of the pond. If it does go too slow, why would they put such an underpowered motor in to begin with?
There is a simple solution - if you find you aren't happy with the engine after a while rip it out and stick a petrol engine in there - Volvo use Ford engines I believe so you could keep the leg - stick a 300hp in there and she will fly!!! Most Yank boats use such engines so they should be cheap enough.
Old 19 September 2006, 02:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2

Funny, i was thinking if only I was in the UK I'd get my hands on a pristine 5.4.

The search never ends.

Cod,

I don't really fancy being a gas guzzler. I was thinking maybe something like a 200hp diesel. I don't mind going at most 30 mph as long as its fast enough to out run the open ocean swells in a following sea. I'm all about the destination then the means. Fuel economy would be a big factor too.