Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 29 September 2013, 09:01   #1

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
This smells like scam, but how??

I'm normally very guarded about eBay listings, making sure bidders have feedback greater than +10, etc., but on a whim I listed a child's bike yesterday as a Buy-it-Now listing.

Within an hour I got two e-mails from eBay in quick succession. The first to say it had been sold, the second informing me of a PayPal payment.

The 'buyer' joined eBay yesterday and (obviously) has a zero feedback rating. His 'confirmed' (and very detailed) address for the PayPal payment is a hall of residence at York Uni.

In reply to his payment I asked when he wanted to collect the bike: his reply (via e-mail, not eBay messaging): "any time, sir, as long as I can collect it from my campus" - which, of course, won't be possible as I live in Littlehampton - as stated on the listing - and 200 miles away.

My gut feeling is that he is going to say he has made a mistake, ask for a refund and then pull the original payment, leaving me £25 down.

I have politely advised him that it is unlikely that he would be able to collect it and...
  • I see his IP address is via Chinanet in Beijing...
  • I will give him a £5 refund as a gesture of goodwill; if he collects the bike he can re-pay it...
  • Because I am ill my lawyers have power of attorney, so a full refund could take up to 130 days...
  • I would be happy to arrange a refund via my credit card and PayPal, but I wouldn't want him to have to worry about a possible charge-back...
  • If he wants to speed things up, he could send my lawyers £60 cash or bankers draft, which they would refund with the refund...
  • I sometimes visit York to visit a Cybercrime consultant in Elvington, but may not be going there for a while...
  • A friend of my children is in the same hall and says the food is very good. Could I send him round to say 'hi'?

(not all of this is 100% true )

Hopefully this will set some bells ringing for a scammer, but wouldn't deter a genuine buyer.

Two other eBay members who live locally contacted me after the auction to ask for first dibs if I relist it. They each have good feedback and could come round and buy it. I don't want to if the bike is tangled up in some "contract".

I assume that a purchase + a refund don't fully cancel out and he could still charge-back? £25 is £25...
Old 29 September 2013, 12:42   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
Length: 4m +
What sort of bike was it...?
Old 29 September 2013, 12:59   #3

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
perhaps you should just ignore it and it will go away along with the payment.
If they're genuine then surely pay-pal and E-bay would sort out their refund if they're genuine?
I cant see how it can be a scam at the moment but it seems fishy!!
besides why would anyone from Beijing want a bicycle? everyone knows there are already "9 million bicycles in Beijing"
Old 29 September 2013, 14:20   #4

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
"9 million bicycles in Beijing"

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2013, 12:15   #5

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
"Sorry sir but the system told me my last reply had blocked by your mail box.My sincerely apology for didn't see it is in the region of Sussex ,since I'm a new one to be in the UK and user of ebay,I wonder if I could get your pardon and refund, please relist it on ebay .Again apologize for my bad behavior in this contract"

As expected then!
Old 30 September 2013, 12:25   #6

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
tell him to request that the sale be cancelled via ebays resolution centre once you agree then the refund should be done automatically by ebay & the case closed he can only scam you if you refund his money via a different payment method
Old 01 October 2013, 11:39   #7

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
Could well be a foreign student recently moved to the country/uni with iffy language skills and no idea of the local culture, so a genuine mistake.
Old 01 October 2013, 12:40   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Quote:
Could well be a foreign student recently moved to the country/uni with iffy language skills and no idea of the local culture, so a genuine mistake.

ermmm....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flying_pig.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	85967