Old 13 July 2007, 15:56   #1

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Talk Talk email problem

I wonder if anyone could make some suggestions about a problem I'm having.

Talk Talk is my server, however I use an email with Orange.

When I send someone an email they recieve it fine.

When someone sends me an email by manually writing my address I recieve it fine.

But if someone replys to an email I've sent them it gets diverted to an email address at Talk Talk I have no access to because it belongs to another account holder.

My questions are:

1. How do I stop the mail from going to the wrong address?

2. If mails are going to another mail address then how do I access this email account or delete it or find out who runs it?

Talk Talk have been less than helpful and have been on the phone for over 3hrs with various a$$ H*&ls that are less than interested and keep cutting me off.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2007, 16:02   #2

Town: helston
Boat name: pressman
Make: Carson 900
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 370 yanmar
Andy we have recently left talktalk as they kept cutting us off and we never received the broadband. They then tried to charge us £76 for breaking the contract They were told in no uncertain terms that we hadnt received the service that was supposed to have been provided and would not be paying that was two months ago and have not heard anything since.
Old 13 July 2007, 16:08   #3

On the whole I've found them to be pretty good and have recently upped my connection speed.

However after repeated phone calls and pathetic call center staff, I'm quickly re-apraising the situation.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 13 July 2007, 17:10   #4

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Emails have a 'From' section and a 'Reply-to' section. If somewhere you have inadvertently put an incorrect mail address in the 'Reply-to' section that would cause the problem. That would also explain why it works OK if someone sends one by typing directly.

You should be able to see the stuff in the email headers - View / Options in Outlook. Get someone you've sent one to to paste it into a fresh email back to you.

Assuming you are using Outlook, probably worth looking at the 'More settings' section of your email account where the reply-to address can be set different to your original sending one. To get replies back to you, the Reply Email address should be blank.

Mike
Old 13 July 2007, 17:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
Emails have a 'From' section and a 'Reply-to' section. If somewhere you have inadvertently put an incorrect mail address in the 'Reply-to' section that would cause the problem. That would also explain why it works OK if someone sends one by typing directly.

You should be able to see the stuff in the email headers - View / Options in Outlook. Get someone you've sent one to to paste it into a fresh email back to you.

Assuming you are using Outlook, probably worth looking at the 'More settings' section of your email account where the reply-to address can be set different to your original sending one. To get replies back to you, the Reply Email address should be blank.

Mike
Mike, I have gone through the entire menu system on Outlook Express and other that the outgoing server info being smtp.talktalk.net there is no mention of Talk Talk anywhere.

You say there is a "more settings) area. I can't see it!

I am really scratching my head

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 14 July 2007, 17:29   #6

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Tools -> Email accounts -> View or change existing -> Select account and 'Change' then More Settings bottom right on the dialogue box. 'General' tab has a reply email box.

HTH

Mike