Old 20 October 2012, 15:35   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Speed camera fine

Got a notice of intended blah blah .... was photographed face on at 71 on a 60 section on the A9 whilst overtaking someone on a single section....camera was on the other side of the road ... so my own stupid fault really, but I misjudged how fast the guy was going and needed more speed than I wanted to get by safely before meeting on coming traffic ...and I was towing a small plant trailer .. fortunately my licence is clean.

Firstly, I didnt think face on shots were allowed ? thats why I wasnt so bothered at the time, and its a camera ive been through many times too anyway it doesent seem the case now ... whats the likely points do you guys think ?
Old 20 October 2012, 15:41   #2

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Ouch!

Single carriageway whilst towing would make it a 50 for you would it not ? May mean more than usual 3 points £60. Overtaking a car doing 60 with a trailer

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 20 October 2012, 15:56   #3

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Hate that A9 when I go up to Brora/Helmsdale for a bit of fishing in June. Had on myself 66 in a 50 about 6 years ago at 1-15 am.......Only one other car on the road & I overtook him just as we passed a bloody speed camera!!
Have you tried any of the sites like 'beat the speed trap' etc, they usually give you a fair idea of how to proceed ?
Old 20 October 2012, 15:59   #4
Dhf

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Ouch!

Single carriageway whilst towing would make it a 50 for you would it not ? May mean more than usual 3 points £60. Overtaking a car doing 60 with a trailer

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
I'd say they didn't notice the trailer on camera, so probably best not mention any pic issues with them, shouldn't be any more than 3 points £60,
Old 20 October 2012, 16:10   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Dont assume the ticket is completed correctly.

Follow through this forum and check out what and how it should be written , what is recorded on the ticket word for word, what image is sent, the time period of being sent from speeed day and how dealt with, there is a very high proportion of tickets incorrectly issued and if challenged they are regularly cancelled
PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=5

About 75% of tickets challenged in the local authority issued type are upheld for the driver.
Still check police issue fixed penalties as they are not always right, dont assume they know best, a little research has shown how many can be challenged and won

I did spend a lot of time challenging a bus lane ticket and local authority spent a fortune fighting me and lost at a tribunal. All over incorrect proceedures.

Same with a speed camera used to issue a ticket for a number plate issue, was thrown into touch. Yep bad boy
Old 20 October 2012, 16:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhawk ficht View Post
I'd say they didn't notice the trailer on camera, so probably best not mention any pic issues with them, shouldn't be any more than 3 points £60,
Unfortuantely, it states.. Offence details - Exceed 60 mph Speed limit 'vehicle with trailer' on the offence notice .. sadly with a 4.8 V8 you hardly feel that lot empty behind you
Old 20 October 2012, 16:32   #7

Do they still hammer you if you go down the road of trying to get out of it on a technicality ?

Old 20 October 2012, 16:39   #8
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Do they still hammer you if you go down the road of trying to get out of it on a technicality ?

The main issue is to research it before the case is listed for a court case. If issued through local authority cameras then the moment you challenge it , the ticket goes on hold.

If you end up at court and the case is found against you they will add costs and the fine can be increased as far as i know.

The web site I posted is very useful, usually it is best to research your ticket against the rules. If you open a forum question then scan your ticket and remove car number and personal details before loading onto site. You will surprised what the regulars spots. Some are coppers, solicitors and some are just very knowledgeable. Sorry but dont assume the authority has the ticket and process correct. I would warn not to drag time and get stuck into it.

Some tickets are pay the fine and get points, others will be attend court, they may even be an option to not get points and attend a speed awareness input
Old 20 October 2012, 16:57   #9

Town: Wick Highland
Boat name: Dirty Cow
Make: Osprey Viper 525
Engine: Mariner 90HP
I was done recently in my van at Tain, you should know that area, I'm from Brora originally, I was doing 82 in a van that should be doing 50, £300 fine and 4 penalty points, tip of the day, dont speed, I wasnt aware of camera's taking you from the front either, I'd be making enquieries as to their accuracy working in the opposite direction, had I known what I know about lazer guns now I would have argued with the police to at least get a fixed penalty but I think if you go to court and still get found guilty they'll come down harder on you
Old 20 October 2012, 17:01   #10
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS
The web site I posted is very useful
+1 pepipoo.com is definitely the place to go for anything to do with speeding tickets.
Old 20 October 2012, 17:30   #11

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Not sure if it applies while towing a trailer but I'm sure that you can avoid the points by opting to do a speeding awareness course.
Old 20 October 2012, 17:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny
Not sure if it applies while towing a trailer but I'm sure that you can avoid the points by opting to do a speeding awareness course.
Only if its within a certain bracket of the max speed. I was offered one when I got done at 37 in a 30, I don't think 70 in a 50 will get that offer

Old 20 October 2012, 19:26   #13

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp
I got caught at 38 in a 30 at 7pm on a country road (which should never have been 30). I got the option of a speed awareness course for the pleasure of £80. If it is your first offence you should be offered it automatically and it will be enclosed in the paperwork. I would rant,rant and then pay it and move on with your life as on the scale of things it is more irritating that we get caught than anything else. One more thing to consider is that if you elect to appear at court and it is proven you will be subject to court costs. Its not worth it.
Old 20 October 2012, 19:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD
I got caught at 38 in a 30 at 7pm on a country road (which should never have been 30). I got the option of a speed awareness course for the pleasure of £80. If it is your first offence you should be offered it automatically and it will be enclosed in the paperwork. I would rant,rant and then pay it and move on with your life as on the scale of things it is more irritating that we get caught than anything else. One more thing to consider is that if you elect to appear at court and it is proven you will be subject to court costs. Its not worth it.
I agree. Accept and move on. There was a discussion about this not so long back, if you accept the fact you were speeding then there's no point trying to get off on a technicality.

Old 20 October 2012, 19:41   #15
RIBnet supporter

I see it a different way, despite that you may have broken the law. Law enforcement against you for that breach MUST be compliant and the enforcement laws need to be correct. If it is not then it cannot be proven that you did the deed.

Take it to the horrible extreme this week , a murderer is convicted for ONE murder even though he led police to his second body. The police failed to follow the rules and the crown cannot proceed against him for second murder. I totally dislike this issue but does highlight why rules must be followed to enforce laws

What ever route you decide take a few moments to review first
Old 20 October 2012, 19:44   #16

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
I'm sure Pikey Dave put up a thread on here a month or two ago about him fighting a speed camera fine and winning.
Old 20 October 2012, 20:02   #17

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Friend's a barrister. Two main areas for cancellation of tickets are speed of issue and calibration. Check the exact timings, but I think they have to provide the ticket within a set time frame, usually done quick enough with a camera to be fair, but cops with radar often fail to process it quickly enough. The latter is more common, request a calibration cert, they have to be checked every 3 (or 6?) months. If not, you're off!
Old 20 October 2012, 20:14   #18

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp
It depends how much of his life that he wants to spend defending this. There are very few genuine technicality's. If the notice of intended prosecution was sent within 14 days, and the camera has been calibrated (and he was recorded) then he has an uphill struggle. Perhaps the repeater signs or the order signed by the local authority are faulty? I suppose what he has to ask himself was (if he was speeding) how much of his life he wants to devote to prove a technicality.

Some people go to extremes to avoid a speeding ticket. The Police officer who died yesterday in front of a train asked his wife (allegedly) to take the ticket.

Don't get me wrong...I think that they are sneaky Ba....ds but if you did it only you can decide what you should do.
Old 20 October 2012, 20:19   #19

Make: XS // Delta
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
....camera was on the other side of the road ...
What type of camera is it from?

Speed Cameras - Gatso, Truvelo, SPECS cameras, Peek, Speedcurb, Watchman, Traffic Light, DS2, Mobile speed traps
Old 20 October 2012, 20:54   #20

Fixed Gatso