Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 20 June 2007, 17:54   #1

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Pending
Make: Pending
Length: no boat
Seeing through the smoke....

Is anyone giving up SMOKING at the end of the month?, if so how ? ive tried 3 times & just keep going back .
Anyone got any good original ideas on how to stop?
Mike.

The Titanic was built by professionals - The Ark was built by one man!
www.aqua-care.co.uk
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2007, 18:20   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Spike,

I managed to give up 6 years ago after smoking for 27 years.

First of all you need to keep away from fellow smokers. Going down the pub shouldn't be too much of a problem from the 1st of July, getting in past the throng of smokers outside might be though.

Then the way I did it was to smoke loads the day before I intended to give up so I was sick of the damn things and have a late night on the drink so I felt awful the next day. That got me through the first day. After a couple of days I went on the patches which I used for a month. They cost as much as the ciggies though.

I believe nowadays you can contact the NHS and they'll sort you out.

Other than that. Best of luck.

Personally I can't wait till the pubs are smoke free. I just hope then that smoking is also banned at the entrance to pubs and public areas.
Old 20 June 2007, 18:41   #3

Ive tryed all sort's & the best i found so far was hypnotherapy, but after a year i ended up back on em as i rent the rooms out in my place in London to 5 of the lads that work for me & when im there it was in my face all the time, but now everyone that live's there is a non-smoker so should be a lot easyier.....bloody filthy habbit...hate it, but ive not got enough will power i suppose. I dont have a problem with smoke in pub's as im 'T' total, so dont go in many .
Mike.

www.aqua-care.co.uk
Old 21 June 2007, 14:02   #4

Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Ive tryed all sort's & the best i found so far was hypnotherapy, but after a year i ended up back on em as i rent the rooms out in my place in London to 5 of the lads that work for me & when im there it was in my face all the time, but now everyone that live's there is a non-smoker so should be a lot easyier.....bloody filthy habbit...hate it, but ive not got enough will power i suppose. I dont have a problem with smoke in pub's as im 'T' total, so dont go in many .
Mike.
Good luck. I'm not a smoker. My dad gave up when I was born - 37 years ago. Mum gave him a choice - his boat or the cigarettes. That worked.

If you found hypnotherapy worked - why not give it another go. Perhaps with the new ban you will be less likely to reoffend. Also, why not put the money that you would spend on ciggs and put it in a bank account. This worked for a friend of mine. He was so shocked at the amount of money - he never went back.

You want to do it - that is half the battle.
Old 22 June 2007, 12:58   #5

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Go to your doctor - I took Zyban tablets and they were fantastic and haven't started again - over 4 years now!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2007, 15:32   #6

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
This probably wont help but it's how me and brother never started!

We were in the garden thinking about smoking tabs and thought we'll make them being as how we didnt get much pocket money. The tobacco plant wasnt native in the Sunderland area so we substituted this ornamental moss my Mum grew, it was plentiful she'd never notice! Next the drying process; we couldnt wait for it happen naturally and it was before microwaves - easy make a stove so a treacle tin and a tea light started the process but it went all dry to quick. The remedy was easy add candle wax it made it look a little more like baccy but smoked it bit.

We then moved on to paper procurement clearly the family bible was out so Ronnie (next door neighbour worked at HMSO) gave us some nice green paper, this stuff was fun being as it was also light sensitive. Making the paper stick to itself was difficult we'd seen some old codgers just lick a rollie and hey presto an instant tab but this didnt work. Another simple idea was cellotape a line of that down the side sealed our "home made tab"

Next step spark it up and take our first heady drags thus entering nirvana and social acceptance...we were somewhat perplexed at it's acidic taste and the almost instant gut wretching and gagging; eyes streamed, lungs went into spasms and I dont think we even managed to finish one of our creations (there were now three of us at the "tasting session"), with age and maturity I now realise our ingredients did contain a number of less than suitable chemical compounds. Experiment concluded we never touched fags and had the most earnest respect for those who did, clearly they were super human.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2007, 15:46   #7

Town: mansfield
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Is anyone giving up SMOKING at the end of the month?
No. My choice.
Old 24 June 2007, 22:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey__viper View Post
No. My choice.
Only asking , Would stay on um but i promised the wife......just as long as she keep's her end of the deal (new boat) good incentive
Mike.

www.aqua-care.co.uk