Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Sealable Bags - Help

Help

My eldest lad of 9 is off on an Outward Bound type course first thing Monday with school, and they've sent him home tonight with a list of extra gear required. Most of which we have already for camping trips, but I'm stuck with

Re-sealable plastic bags for VERY muddy/wet clothes.

Two thoughts
Plastic bags with the Zip closures.
Does anybody know where I could get some large ones in the Pompey area on a Saturday?

The Sailing/Walking bags meant for keeping gear dry.
The Marine superstore at Port Solent sell Henry LLoyd Storm Dry Bags in various sizes that are surprisingly cheap, and would be useful afterwards.
If anyone has used them perhaps they can help with the following.

a) would they keep water and mud in as well as they are supposed to keep water out?
b) Are they washable, so I could clean them up and use them as they are supposed to be used later on the RIB and when camping?

Any Other bright ideas?
Remember they are for a (Bright like his father ) 9 year old to get to grips with, and I must be able to go and get them in the Pompey area on Saturday morning.

Help

Thanks

Nasher.
Old 31 March 2006, 18:42   #2
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Yes, yes and yes. I wouldn't bother with branded drybags, they're all the same.
Old 31 March 2006, 18:57   #3

Town: Nottingham
Length: no boat
RIBase
The thing that springs to mind is a Lifeventure Sealable Bags. They are like a big freezer bag with a ziplock closure, but they have a valve to let air out, so you can compress them without them going pop, or the bag opening itself. You will be able to get them at the Snow and Rock superstore at Port Solent. The valve might let a little bit of water out if you put wet stuff in it, but the're really cheap(£10 for 2 for large) so you can always double them up to keep mud/water in better. Much better, cheaper and lighter to carry than a marine style drybag.
Old 31 March 2006, 19:04   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
It might not be what you are looking for but a roll of decent quality bin bags do this job pretty well. To seal you just tie the top. You can untie them but if you have enough with you its just as easy to rip it open.
Old 31 March 2006, 20:28   #5

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
Help
The Marine superstore at Port Solent sell Henry LLoyd Storm Dry Bags in various sizes that are surprisingly cheap, and would be useful afterwards.
If anyone has used them perhaps they can help with the following.

a) would they keep water and mud in as well as they are supposed to keep water out?
b) Are they washable, so I could clean them up and use them as they are supposed to be used later on the RIB and when camping?
Nasher.
Nasher I have two of the Henry Lloyd bags (small gray ones) and yes they were cheap I have found them OK but they are not as thick as others I have. While am not going to fill it with mud for test purposes I have just put some water in it and its still there couple of minutes later. No washing instructions on the bag. Hope thats of some use. I think they will do the job.
Old 31 March 2006, 20:33   #6

Many Thanks guys, particularly you neal for the experiment

I'll go down to Port Solent in the morning and have a good excuse to wander round not only the Marine Superstore but snow and Rock as well.

What more could a guy want on a Saturday morning?

On second thoughts, don't answer that.

Nasher.
Old 02 April 2006, 21:37   #7

Brought two of the Medium size Henry Lloyd bags.

They must be about twenty litres each and were £5.50 each from the marine superstore.

Luckily I found them myself and didn't need to ask for any information as I'd have been there all day.

I'm very, very impressed with them for the price.

Filled one up half way with water, did the top up and squeezed.
No water came out at all, my lad even sat on it and still no leaks.

Nasher.
Old 07 April 2006, 22:53   #8

Update

He came home today from the homeland of sir codprawn, and I can confirm the cheap Henry Lloyd bags have passed the ultimate test of containing muck and truck.
By the sounds of it they spent the whole week up their ears in Mud and wading about in a lake.

The contents emptied from the two bags had to be seen to be believed, the wet garments have carried home a good few kgs of Welsh soil. and once removed from the bags left behind a half inch of silt sloshing about in the bottom.
You should have seen the state of some of the luggage being unloaded from the coach. The looks on some of the other parents faces were priceless.

Being 9 of course he'd seen no problem with putting the full bags INSIDE his suitcase and left out his sleeping bag instead to use as a pillow on the coach.
Amazingly NOTHING had leaked from the bags, and having been washed out are now hanging out to dry looking only very slightly less than new.

I've no hesitation in recommending them for doing exactly what they are supposed to do.

Nasher.