Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 19 June 2006, 12:58   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 402
save money on petrol?

Anyone got any views on this....

http://www.pipelinecard.org/
]
__________________

__________________
timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 13:16   #2
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 332
I registered several months ago and get the odd newsletter but nothing has really happened.

SDG
__________________

__________________
SDGANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 13:23   #3
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,246
I have registered too, but nothing yet!
__________________
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 13:45   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,903
RIBase
Ditto
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 18:29   #5
Member
 
Tim M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,791
Same
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 07:20   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Talking of which...

This may sound really crazy BUT - it should be possible to run your outboard on red diesel or kerosene. Not neat of course!!!

In some countries petrol station have been caught mixing diesel or kerosene with the petrol - as high as 60%. Often people don't notice!!!
Kerosene would prob be better as it is thinner. I don't think it would be illegal as you can use red diesel in a boat anyway.

During the war petrol engined tractors would run on petrol first - switch to parrafin all day - then back to petrol before shutting down. Also EP Barrus and Evinrude have developed outboards to run on neat aviation fuel /kerosene.

I was thinking maybe a 60% petrol/40% kerosene mix wouldn't be too bad??? Any ideas - would save a fortune!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 07:45   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Eleven
Make: Arrow
Length: 8m +
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,261
Let me know how your engine runs on it.
__________________
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 16:35   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Talking of which...

This may sound really crazy BUT - it should be possible to run your outboard on red diesel or kerosene. Not neat of course!!!

In some countries petrol station have been caught mixing diesel or kerosene with the petrol - as high as 60%. Often people don't notice!!!
Kerosene would prob be better as it is thinner. I don't think it would be illegal as you can use red diesel in a boat anyway.

During the war petrol engined tractors would run on petrol first - switch to parrafin all day - then back to petrol before shutting down. Also EP Barrus and Evinrude have developed outboards to run on neat aviation fuel /kerosene.

I was thinking maybe a 60% petrol/40% kerosene mix wouldn't be too bad??? Any ideas - would save a fortune!!!
I must remember never to buy an out board from you .
Those old tractors used to have a special manifold that heated the Parafin (TBO) so it would burn ok . They also used to burn valves and need a de coke rugular . A modern engine will die very quick if you try to run it on crap fuel

hasn't anyone done an LPG conversion yet for an outboard . its got to happen especilly with the demise of 2 strokes
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 16:42   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Eleven
Make: Arrow
Length: 8m +
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,261
Is that the "demise" where a 'rude 200 etec is more fuel efficient than a verado?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
it's got tohappen especilly with the demise of 2 strokes
__________________
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 17:23   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat
Is that the "demise" where a 'rude 200 etec is more fuel efficient than a verado?
I dunno whats best , just that 2 strokes are being slowly outlawed and with 4 stroke becoming the norm Iam surprised that I haven't heard of any gas conversions . Having said that its not easy to get new vehicles as a gas burner .
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 17:34   #11
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat
Is that the "demise" where a 'rude 200 etec is more fuel efficient than a verado?
i think the modern two strokes have a good bit of life left in them yet, the merc opti usually beats the etecs on economy in the usa tests and i have noticed mercury slightly changing their tac in looking to promote the optis more...

i love the look of the verado but that economy....my oh my

some of the 4 stroke outboards sound like thrashed 4 cyl car engines that sound horrible at high revs, i find the opti and etec just sound better and better the more you rev them.........odd really as i am not a two stroke bike engine fan
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 17:37   #12
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
I dunno whats best , just that 2 strokes are being slowly outlawed and with 4 stroke becoming the norm Iam surprised that I haven't heard of any gas conversions . Having said that its not easy to get new vehicles as a gas burner .
on your next boat dont be concerned in choosing a large opti, etec or hpdi engine. they are all fab, but try to steer clear of the old style two strokers if you can as resale on them is far lower. dont be fooled into thinking that 4 strokes is the only way to go as this is not the case at all.
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 18:50   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,914
Thats the problem with finding a boat , if the boat is right it has an old 2 stroke on the back , or if the engine is good it has an old boat hanging off it .

I don't know much about the modern 2 strokes and certainly haven't seen any about on the boats I have been looking at .
Fact is I know 4 strokes and can fix them , but 2 strokes are prone to so many problems in my experience I ould be scared to go to sea with an old one . If I owned a 2 stroke from new then OK but they are so open to user error / ignorance

At most slipways on a Sunday there is usually someone with the cover off an old Merc Johnson Or Evinrude wasting a decent day off. At lest you don't see Cryslers anymore
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2006, 00:12   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
I dunno whats best , just that 2 strokes are being slowly outlawed and with 4 stroke becoming the norm Iam surprised that I haven't heard of any gas conversions . Having said that its not easy to get new vehicles as a gas burner .
I saw two honda outboards running at the Southampton boat show quite a few years ago in tanks,one was lpg,the other petrol and it was demonstrating no oily residue with lpg.
The hondas were 50hp I think.
The company(cant remember who) were developing a system and I registered for further information but never recieved anything.
__________________
timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2006, 02:33   #15
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,425
Ian

An old carb'd two stroke is about as simple as it gets, and should be the easiest thing in the world to keep going. Much better than a four stroke developed from a car engine turned on end with its additional moving parts etc.
The reason you see so many old ones broken down is the owners fault more often than not, because they don't maintain them.
Sadly most who try to go boating on the cheap spent more of their limited cash on this years sunglasses than putting a new set of plugs in the engine, or changing the fuel filter.
Recently of course the 2 and 4 stroke engines are both covered in equaly complex electrical systems that take a bit more time to understand.
My vote will always be with a two stroke.

If you put some effort in you can pick up the right boat, remove the old spec two stroke, and drop on a newer one, for less than the cost of buying a boat with a newer engine on in the first place.

Nasher.
__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2006, 03:04   #16
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
At most slipways on a Sunday there is usually someone with the cover off an old Merc Johnson Or Evinrude wasting a decent day off. At lest you don't see Cryslers anymore
thats cos the 2 stroke was almost the only choice so there are 1000's of em kicking around that are 20-30 plus years old
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2006, 03:54   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,984
RIBase
Hondas / LPG

There were a few Hondas converted to run on LPG a few years back. 4stroke carb engines.

Hamble harbour master had them on their launches.

However, they binned the LPG gear as there were supply problems with LPG in Hamble and they were having to run on petrol for much of the time.

Marine LPG use did not reach a critical mass and the suppliers have been less keen to support it.
Less supply = fewer conversions being developed.
__________________
Searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2006, 14:26   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
Ian

An old carb'd two stroke is about as simple as it gets, and should be the easiest thing in the world to keep going. Much better than a four stroke developed from a car engine turned on end with its additional moving parts etc.
The reason you see so many old ones broken down is the owners fault more often than not, because they don't maintain them.
Sadly most who try to go boating on the cheap spent more of their limited cash on this years sunglasses than putting a new set of plugs in the engine, or changing the fuel filter.
Recently of course the 2 and 4 stroke engines are both covered in equaly complex electrical systems that take a bit more time to understand.
My vote will always be with a two stroke.

If you put some effort in you can pick up the right boat, remove the old spec two stroke, and drop on a newer one, for less than the cost of buying a boat with a newer engine on in the first place.

Nasher.
Exactly thats what I mean its not the engine , its the user , but with the 4 stroke so long as they can check a dipstick it will be ok with a service . I have seen so many people abuse 2 strokes over , with the wrong oil wrong plugs etc , Just running the wrong heat range plug can cause major damage . I would buy a new or nearly new motor , but 10 years old is a real gamble.
__________________

__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.