Old 22 January 2007, 17:23   #1

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Salvaging on Lyme Bay area

I,m thinking of going their right or wrong what is the law seems to be mixed messages if you listen to radio and whaych the news
Old 22 January 2007, 17:34   #2

Town: Aylesbury
Length: no boat
From watching the BBC news 10 mins ago I wouldn't bother (not that I would consider nicking stuff anyway), apparently tonight the police are having a crack down in an attempt to clear as much as possible. Also, some of the stuff washing up in the containers are peoples personal belongings from house moves etc. The sort of stuff you can't replace and insurance money can't buy so I'd think carefully.

Besides, you're too late, all the BMW motor bikes went last night!

There's another thread on this already:

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17702

Anyone know why the hell they can't get it into Portland Harbour? - edit, cos it started to break up.
Old 22 January 2007, 17:43   #3

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
From the news just on TV you can collect things but must report it to the offical receiver . The owner has the right to have back if he wants. Not sure how long they can claim over.
Old 22 January 2007, 18:16   #4

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Check out HERE The reciever of wreck web pages.

Brian
Old 22 January 2007, 22:37   #5

Town: Dorset
Make: ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 250
this is about 20-30 mins stream from me and I can see the Napoli from the harbour [a mile away]. the police, CG etc have been the entire length of the coast today recording the containers and their numbers. Branscome and the surrounding area is shut by road and although officially there is nothing they can do to stop the looting, the word is that the beach area is to be closed to EVERYONE from daybreak as the whole place is just a huge mess now. anything that might have been worth anything has been robbed and anything else is thrown aside. It resembles a land fill site! we found 1 and within a few hours it'd been chained and padlocked shut to keep people out and the stuff in and not washing out to sea.
Looking at the state of the place, I reckon the 'best pilphering' days have gone....
No more containers have fallen off today and those that did yesterday were sunk on purpose as a 'safety precaution' apparently...
It's blowing quite hard tonight [NE 5-6] and the likelyhood is that anything still floating will end up in the shipping lanes!

Saw loads of oiled birds today [and not the type you find on a top shelf mag or a dodgy website!!] some were never going to make it as they were already covered in it...

Lets just hope they get the heavy oil off before if cracks open and we have a REAL problem on our hands...
Old 22 January 2007, 23:29   #6

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Sorry to hear about Oil Milo,
Some plonker made a bad decision along the way. Perhaps even setting out in that boat. It is not the first to have it happened, someone is responsible, and not the sea.
Old 23 January 2007, 12:30   #7

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Under the Right to Salvage Act you are aloud to collect articles washed up on a beach as long as what you take is disclosed to the authorities. This will then be passed onto to either the company concerned or their insurers who are entitled to the articles that have been taken in return for a financial consideration that is fair and resonable.

So if you have taken one of the motorbikes this is not illegal as long as it has been disclosed.

Simon

I am not just a powerboat Instructor before anyone asks !
Old 23 January 2007, 16:28   #8

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hawkins View Post
Under the Right to Salvage Act you are aloud to collect articles washed up on a beach as long as what you take is disclosed to the authorities. This will then be passed onto to either the company concerned or their insurers who are entitled to the articles that have been taken in return for a financial consideration that is fair and resonable.

So if you have taken one of the motorbikes this is not illegal as long as it has been disclosed.

Simon

I am not just a powerboat Instructor before anyone asks !
I wonder! I thought that it was containers that were washed ashore. They are locked and sealed. If you open a container to get what's inside, aren't you guilty of breaking and entering, like I presume you would be if you broke into a warehouse or someone's lock up?

On the other hand, if you remove a whole sealed container and report it, there's probably no problem.

It might be obvious that I'm not a lawyer. :-)
Old 23 January 2007, 16:34   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
I wonder! I thought that it was containers that were washed ashore. They are locked and sealed. If you open a container to get what's inside, aren't you guilty of breaking and entering, like I presume you would be if you broke into a warehouse or someone's lock up?

On the other hand, if you remove a whole sealed container and report it, there's probably no problem.

It might be obvious that I'm not a lawyer. :-)
They do actually break open quite easily-they are only made from 3mm steel and as they bend the doors pop open.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote