Old 02 April 2008, 13:14   #1

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Sailing "tiff"

Seems my friends at USA-11 got reported to the coastguard for "harassing" the "America" boat last week.
I was astern of USA-11 when the radio call came from "America" to USA-11saying "collision course,please take action"
So not being a sailor I wondered what the heck was going on,as I saw no danger in the situation.
Seems "America" wants the Bay to itself and has a slight attitude problem
Dont think they realised that I was there, as the call was recorded by the USCG and my shot was at the same time. (complete with date and time stamp to the exact second.)
So in my opinion we have good evidence there was no "aggression" but just wondered what the sailors out there thought?
cheers Dal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0542 (Medium).jpg
Views:	287
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	33748  
Old 02 April 2008, 13:45   #2

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
IRPCAS (and racing rules) say that overtaking (and windward) boat keeps clear! ~Looks like an overtaking situation from the photo.

If on the other hand, the boat to leeward needed to tack for water then the windward boat should tack immediatley or indicate to the other boat that she has room to clear her stern.
Old 02 April 2008, 15:27   #3

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBoy View Post
IRPCAS (and racing rules) say that overtaking (and windward) boat keeps clear! ~Looks like an overtaking situation from the photo.

If on the other hand, the boat to leeward needed to tack for water then the windward boat should tack immediatley or indicate to the other boat that she has room to clear her stern.
I'd agree with that too. I guess the schooner ? will take some time to tack and will need more space than the modern yacht. Perhaps the schooner is running out of water and wants to tack. If she does so, she'll tack onto starboard tack and have right of way anyhow, just as she does now being leeward boat (and probably being overtaken). The modern boat will turn on a sixpence and from the picture they don't seem particularly close together.

If the schooner skipper was concerned about tacking into the path of the yacht, he could've called the yacht on VHF, or sounded two short blasts on his horn (I am altering course to port) to wake them up to the situation.

Seems to be another instance of American over reaction to a simple, and frequent, situation. Why ask nicely when you can call in the fleet?
Old 02 April 2008, 16:01   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeydal View Post
I was astern of USA-11 when the radio call came from "America" to USA-11saying "collision course,please take action"
Seems to me that if the collision was imminent due to an impending course change, then the radio call as issued was somewhat misleading.

I see no collision occuring as the picture stands; if America was about to change course, a radio warning as to their intent would have been a little more polite.

jky
Old 02 April 2008, 16:50   #5

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
Alystra
Your right about the schooner becoming starboard tack boat, but looking at the obvious speed advantage of the windward boat (wake shot) of about 3 knots, maybe she did have room to keep clear to winward. The sloop also looks to be not quite close hauled and is fetching off towards the track of the schooner. The shooner should give the windward boat time an opportunity to respond to her luff or tack, but looking at the picture you would hope that both boats should have seen the situation developing well before hand and be ready to respond immediately! clearly not looking at everyone chilling out on the rail of the sloop!

At the end of the day, IRPCAS rule 2 should have kept them from a collision, but I would bet money they don't know what it is!
Old 02 April 2008, 18:03   #6

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
It would appear that the schooner skipper was concerned about being trapped on a lee shore. The overtaking boat has the reponsibility to stay well clear and anticipate the action of the leeward vessel by anouncing his intentions via radio or by making an obvious change in course. Politeness of radio communications is irrelevant. His call was short and concise and he had the right to make it if he thought his vessel was in danger and he did say "please"

Looking at the photo, there is a guy standing by a primary winch looking at the helm; maybe they were about to tack.
Old 02 April 2008, 19:11   #7

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
They seem quite far apart at this time to me. Hard to tell the speed difference. I would have merely said, "this is America starting a port tack, USA-11 ("please" depending on my mood ) keep clear"
Old 02 April 2008, 19:24   #8

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
"this is America starting a port tack, USA-11 ("please" depending on my mood ) keep clear"
Now that would be very confusing. I think you meant " turning to port" or " starting a starboard tack."
Old 02 April 2008, 19:55   #9

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Haha yes, my bad, multitasking at "work"
Why do you think I have a rib!
Old 03 April 2008, 02:32   #10

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Them thar saily boats don't always respond so well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Haha yes, my bad, multitasking at "work"
Why do you think I have a rib!
Same reason we all have one... so we can get out of the way if need be...