Click Here to Login

Old 11 May 2007, 11:07   #1

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Royal Navy removed search and rescue divers from Ops

A friend of mine has asked that I inform you all and kindly request your support in retaining the Rescue Diver Service recently removed from operational duties by the Royal Navy.

As I'm sure you will agree:
Quote:
This is a service that all of us can ill afford to lose.
Please help retain the service by signing the petition and/or writing to your local MP.

The petition can be found at:

http://www.searchandrescuedivers.com/

Many thanks.

Quote:
The Royal Navy have recently removed the specially trained search and rescue divers from operational duties, putting your life and my life at risk. These highly motivated professional people have been part of the search and rescue team for more than forty-five years but in March of this year their duties were suspended indefinitely. The Navy has not publicly announced a reason for their decision which may directly impact on the local fishermen, marine users and thousands of tourists who visit the Devon and Cornwall coasts every year.

Royal navy divers are exceptional people, their intensive training allows them to extend the operational capabilities of the search and rescue team by some considerable margin. They can be deployed immediately as soon as the aircraft is on scene allowing them to exit with full diving gear from heights of up to forty feet, delivering aid to a casualty in a matter of seconds rather than minutes. Time that is invaluable for the successful resuscitation of marine accident victims. Their equipment allows them to dive up to and beyond 30 meters, reaching people trapped in overturned vessels and bringing relief to victims trapped in air pockets after a ship has fully submerged. The Royal Navy search and rescue crews operate up to a 200 Nautical mile range from RNAS Culdrose and provide hope for those in difficulties. Their capabilities in rescue are inexhaustible as is their motivation and selflessness.

Old 11 May 2007, 13:13   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Signed.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2007, 13:37   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Not sure yet:-)
Make: Revenger.
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard/Petrol/625hp
Signed.
Gordon McMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2007, 17:50   #4

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Signed.

Unfortunately I suspect it is the thin end of the wedge:

http://news.independent.co.uk/busine...cle2279373.ece

If there are to be 12 Coastguard helicopter stations, where does this leave the RN and RAF SAR helicopters?

Chris
Old 11 May 2007, 18:01   #5

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
All done Shag.
Old 11 May 2007, 18:05   #6

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
signed..
Old 11 May 2007, 18:51   #7

Town: Vectis Isle
Boat name: REEF
Length: 6m +
MMSI: 235064495
Done
Old 11 May 2007, 18:54   #8

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Signed
Old 11 May 2007, 19:45   #9

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Signed, good find Shaggy.
Old 11 May 2007, 19:58   #10

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
done
Old 11 May 2007, 20:11   #11

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
Signed.

This is sheer lunacy - I've worked with these guys a few times and trust me, this move WILL cost lives. No ifs, no buts...people will die.

I particularly remember an incident a few years back, in the Solent, when a woman (Heidi something) was trapped in an air pocket under her catamaran for a number of hours. Dave Kennett, the Yarmouth LB cox, had to tow the craft with her in it into calm water whilst awaiting navy divers (then from Portland before it closed).

If anyone here knows Dave, let him know of the plan....he won't be a happy man
Old 12 May 2007, 00:22   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Why should I sign? Obviously speed humps and speed cameras are far more important....

Oh well on 2nd thoughts maybe not.......

Signed!!!
Old 12 May 2007, 00:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
Signed.

If there are to be 12 Coastguard helicopter stations, where does this leave the RN and RAF SAR helicopters?

Chris
Well personally I will throw a party and set off fireworks on the 27th June - and then REALLY celebrate when the rest of them have gone!!!

We should name 27th June - or 27 six as they call momentus events these days - a public holiday - Tony Blair day - has a certain ring to it......
Old 12 May 2007, 08:29   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
Signed.

Chris
I am wondering if that means you would rather be rescued by RN/RAF than the CG? If not then does it matter - whos budget it comes from (and is it not better to have a dedicated rescue service?). As I understand it the CG heli's are already operated under private contracts anyway...
Old 12 May 2007, 09:44   #15

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I am wondering if that means you would rather be rescued by RN/RAF than the CG? If not then does it matter - whos budget it comes from (and is it not better to have a dedicated rescue service?). As I understand it the CG heli's are already operated under private contracts anyway...
I'm happy to be rescued by anyone, should the need arise :-). The way I see it, the RN and RAF need to have a SAR capability (and in broader terms a helo fleet) to meet their primary function of defence ops. In order to maintain this capability they will need a certain number of hours flying time on ops / training, as well as maintenance infrastructure etc. Surely it is a good use of resources if this time and cost can be used to rescue civilians?

If it is accepted that the RN and RAF need to maintain this capability for their primary function, then the CG helo fleet becomes an additional cost rather than a redirected cost, in which case why spend the money? If it has been decided that the RN and RAF don't need to have a SAR capability or the existing size of helo fleet then that is a whole different can of worms.

I'm certainly not knocking the CG helo teams, who as you have said already operate out of 4 stations around the UK.

Cheers

Chris
Old 12 May 2007, 13:49   #16

It USED to be the case that military pilots were the most experienced - if only because of the constant training and no budget limitations.

I have seen the RAF crews doing all manner of strange jobs - from taking fencing materials to remote parts of the Brecon Beacons to carrying bales of hay to feed sheep. Whilst it may seem a waste of resources it is certainly good training and it keeps the farmers happy so they don't complain about low flying.

There have been many rescues carried out by the RAF that are way outside any safe parameters - I really do wonder if a privately run company would risk their crew in a similar manner with all the curret health and safety bollocks.

If a private contractor is working to a budget they are going to limit their flying hours.

I am worried it will get to the situation you have in the USA where there is such a wide mix of rescue helicopters - some of them don't even have winches!!!
Old 12 May 2007, 17:15   #17

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
the coming situation with the military and civilain sar has been known about and planned for for several years and the expansion of the cg helos has been negotiated over this period. Bristows didnt get the renewal on the contract but another company with perhaps a better investment in airframes did. As the cg helo down in portland area seems to be permanently airborne when we are down there I doubt flying hours are an issue. It would be nice to see one airborne up here when the changeover happens. And the way things are in the world at the moment there are perhaps pressures on military aircraft to be out supporting the military in far flung places.
Old 12 May 2007, 20:08   #18

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Signed

I can't help but feel that if so many resources were not used to support our so called tourist industry , ie protecting and saving idiots on our beaches , there may be a bit left more for the seriouse cases .
Old 12 May 2007, 23:31   #19
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
I can't help but feel that if so many resources were not used to support our so called tourist industry , ie protecting and saving idiots on our beaches , there may be a bit left more for the seriouse cases .
Agreed. It's time the idiots were educated. The only problem then is that idiots don't learn...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 00:41   #20

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Make em pay . If they need a rescue because they get cut off by the tide or do something stupid .

As for the helicopter Iam not kocking the local air ambulance they do a fine job , but last year one of my nieghbours broke his leg in the snow on the moors at the top of our village . I was doing my best to keep him warm etc but it took nearly an hour to get the helicopter there becuse they couldn't fly in the poor weather , ie heavy snow . he ended up with hypothermia , but a worse injury could have resulted in death.
If the private services are unable to fly for similar reasons then the rescue capability will be compromised . Nothing seems to stop the forces from flying , Iam not criticising thier ability but regulations and rules are often too strict .