Old 20 July 2005, 22:16   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Rip off Britain myth

The bloody media are at it again - I just don't know HWY they are trying to perpetrate this myth all the time!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4700445.stm

Basically the Beeb are reporting on the article that appeared in PCPro mag entiltled

"Rip Off Britain Exposed".

"Buying the goods from US websites rather than UK high-street stores could mean a saving of more than £1,000."

This just sums it up - maybe if they had bought from BRITISH websites instead of normal shops it would have been a bit closer to the truth!!!

Obviously web sites are usually MUCH cheaper than normal high street shops - so why didn't they choose the cheapest sites they could in the UK???

EBUYER is so cheap it is amazing!!!
Old 21 July 2005, 07:25   #2

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Quite agree Codders, thats where I'll be getting my next PC from, however, there does appear to be a grim monotony to apparent overpricing of goods here.

As long as the differential is high enough to make a difference people will vote with their feet and eschew "good service" in the face of a bargian. Then theres eBay ofcourse, which I believe the taxman is now quite interested in!
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2005, 10:27   #3

Not that many goods ARE overpriced here though - obviously the $ is very weak at the moment but people tend to forget that it is only stuff actually MADE in the USA that is a bargain.

Many states in the USA have sales tax a bit like our VAT.

The ONLY things in this country that are a rip off are anything the government has touched - like fuel - tobacco and booze!!!
Old 21 July 2005, 11:35   #4

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
The whole beauty of the www is that we have the chance to shop around and find the best bargins whether it be in the US/UK ect ect.

It should in theory - all things being equal - be the big " equalizer" of consummer pricing. Invarably, this is not so, as a lot of local barriers are placed to stop people profiting from lower prices in the states.

e.g - " cannot be exported" and unfortunately when buying using credit cards
the exporter will see that the the billing address is not the same as the shipping address.

There are numereous ways around this , and also the way in which VAT/ DUTY can be calculated quite legally while still profiting from the price differentails. My company imports a lot of stuff from the States and as a rule of thumb ,for every 100$ of purchase value we get to about +10% landed in Belgium even with a VAT of 21%.. I will not devulge how you do it .... but just check out a few sites......

As regards rip off Briton - I am always annoyed at having to pay over 2 quid for a cup of coffee which is one teaspoon of nescafe dissolved in hot water.OK Belgium is not utopia - but we get real coffee for under a quid a cup. By the way Nescafe is over 50% Na2(CO3)2

Jonathan
Old 21 July 2005, 11:42   #5

Not that many goods ARE overpriced here though

Come off it codders - houses arn't over priced in the UK???- and dont say that is "special" - ohhh yes I forgot your estate in wales with the the two astons?? Housing accounts for nearly 40% of ' working class ' peoples budgets.

Any news of your rib yet?? Delivery Day must be getting near??

jonathan
Old 21 July 2005, 12:20   #6

Many states in the USA have sales tax a bit like our VAT.

FYI export sale - NO STATE TAXES ARE APPLICABLE

Jonathan
Old 21 July 2005, 12:26   #7

The ONLY things in this country that are a rip off are anything the government has touched - like fuel - tobacco and booze

You dont need tobacco or booze to live. One eats the lungs the other the liver, and incidently euro 95 is cheaper in the Uk than France/Belgium
Diesel is another story. Mr. Blair is a marveleous person.. Look what happened to poor old Chirac

jonathan
Old 21 July 2005, 16:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
Not that many goods ARE overpriced here though

Come off it codders - houses arn't over priced in the UK???- and dont say that is "special" - ohhh yes I forgot your estate in wales with the the two astons?? Housing accounts for nearly 40% of ' working class ' peoples budgets.

Any news of your rib yet?? Delivery Day must be getting near??

jonathan
Well unless you have "special methods" it would be hard to import a house from the USA - and even harder to import the land to build it on!!! Obviously ANY country which has a low population density is going to be cheaper for housing - thought that was OBVIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21 July 2005, 19:11   #9

Obviously ANY country which has a low population density is going to be cheaper for housing

Believe it or not Codders , Belgium has a higher density of population /sq. km than the UK.

Jonathan
Old 21 July 2005, 19:14   #10

it would be hard to import a house from the USA

If I remember correctly somebody in the Uk did . They imported a New England post house in its entirety , and guess what --- it was cheaper.

Jonathan
Old 21 July 2005, 20:33   #11

Quote:
it would be hard to import a house from the USA

If I remember correctly somebody in the Uk did . They imported a New England post house in its entirety , and guess what --- it was cheaper.

Jonathan
I just KNEW you would come up with some stupid remark like that which is why I also said the LAND would be even harder to import!!!
Old 22 July 2005, 06:42   #12

I believe stupidity is one of your prized values.........
Old 22 July 2005, 07:09   #13

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
I just bought a camera monopod in the UK, £185, in the US its $120 .... come on why!!! Its not all VAT! We get exploited in the UK.

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2005, 10:34   #14
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Belgium has a higher density of population /sq. km
dats cuz thay arr orl likkul fatt fkkers fromm stufin der faicis wiv choclit.

gArf
Old 22 July 2005, 11:33   #15

Town: Isle of Wight
Length: no boat
I've just imported a chartplotter from the US. I can't make a direct comparison because you can't buy it in the UK as it is a new model. However, even with the shipping, insurance, VAT & import duty (3%) I reckon it has saved me about 25% or £300.
Old 22 July 2005, 12:56   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbw156
I've just imported a chartplotter from the US. I can't make a direct comparison because you can't buy it in the UK as it is a new model. However, even with the shipping, insurance, VAT & import duty (3%) I reckon it has saved me about 25% or £300.
I all depends on where it was made and what market it was aimed at - you will NOT get a Raymarine cheaper in the USA!!!

As to the tripod again if it was US manufactured then yes it will be cheaper because the $ is so weak at the moment - if it was made in Europe or the far east then it shouldn't have been cheaper.

So much depends on SHOPPING AROUND - yes some places in the UK will rip you off - as they will all over the world - but if you look hard enough you WILL find British websites just as cheap as anywhere else or even cheaper.

Our big supermarkets are also great for driving down prices with their huge buying power - a perfectly good electric kettle for £4.99 or a DVD player for £24 - not exactly a rip off!!!!
Old 22 July 2005, 13:20   #17

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
................. you will NOT get a Raymarine cheaper in the USA!!
Now they are going to be made in china you will
Anyway you are beginning to sound like a new labourite you aren’t Gordon Browns love child by any chance
Des
Old 23 July 2005, 22:16   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
Now they are going to be made in china you will
Anyway you are beginning to sound like a new labourite you aren’t Gordon Browns love child by any chance
Des
You WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't start me off about Tony B Liar and his cronies - of course we all know the latest terrorist attacks are NOTHING to do with the war in Iraq or the fact Blair has wound up the muslims the wrong way!!!

I USED to think of myself as very right wing - until this mob got in - how the hell can old school Labour supporters support a party who are bedfellows with the most right wing President the USA has ever had???
Old 25 July 2005, 09:45   #19

Don't start me off about Tony B Liar and his cronies - of course we all know the latest terrorist attacks are NOTHING to do with the war in Iraq or the fact Blair has wound up the muslims the wrong way!!!

I USED to think of myself as very right wing - until this mob got in - how the hell can old school Labour supporters support a party who are bedfellows with the most right wing President the USA has ever had???

There was an admirable piece yesterday in the Sunday Times by Simon Jenkins concerning Mr.Blair and the Tory party in general... There was also a
very good analysis by Brian Moyhanaran in The Sunday times colour mag. on
La France. If you hav'nt read it I would advise you to do so... If you find it a bit beyond your limited reading ability -- there is also the comic section "Fundaytimes for toddlers.....

Jonathan
Old 25 July 2005, 11:39   #20

Quote:

There was an admirable piece yesterday in the Sunday Times by Simon Jenkins concerning Mr.Blair and the Tory party in general... There was also a
very good analysis by Brian Moyhanaran in The Sunday times colour mag. on
La France. If you hav'nt read it I would advise you to do so... If you find it a bit beyond your limited reading ability -- there is also the comic section "Fundaytimes for toddlers.....

Jonathan

The Sunday Times - which happens to be owned by Rupert Murdoch who happens to be pals with................