Closed Thread

Old 05 August 2020, 22:31   #1

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Respectful suggestion

Perhaps, in the case of threads evidently started by people with a political axe to grind and where no useful information is imparted, it might be better to delete the thread and leave a placeholder explaining the reason for the deletion rather than simply closing the thread?

It always seems to be a certain type of argument or point of view which is posted in this way, and as soon as a dissenting voice is heard the thread is shut down due to "straying into politics". I'm not suggesting an admin bias in one direction or another, but the fact that such threads are left up and visible might give the *appearance* of bias, either amongst the admins or the users of the forum.

I am not inclined to contribute to such threads so its not that I'm angry about my voice not being heard. I just find that at the present time disproportionate weight is given to the opinions of those who enjoy pontificating in public forums. And it gets on my tits.
Old 06 August 2020, 06:17   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Respectful suggestion

It’s very rare that we close a thread. I only know of one recent occurrence and that thread is now languishing in the bilges.

I may have missed others though and I’m happy to have a look. Can you give me some more examples of the sort of thing you’re talking about? PM me if you like.
Old 06 August 2020, 06:31   #3

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gurney View Post
Perhaps, in the case of threads evidently started by people with a political axe to grind and where no useful information is imparted, it might be better to delete the thread and leave a placeholder explaining the reason for the deletion rather than simply closing the thread?
Hi Dan..while I respect your opinion ... as my post was the last one before the thread was closed.. can you let me know why you think it was either political..or contains no useful information ? Im at a total loss to understand why it shut the thread down

Its a true story..and I did it to warn visitors about leaving cars and trailers on beaches at present .... as my example would have been quite costly and was completely unnecessary

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/Ballan...2048310/posts/

Stranraer Coastguard ,with our colleagues in Girvan, Ballantrae & Portpatrick CG Teams, along with Girvan lifeboat were tasked today 2/8/20 regarding concerns raised by a member of the public regarding possible overdue vessels from yesterday evening at Lendalfoot, a search was conducted at various locations and both vessels were located safe & well in Lady Bay.

Note it involved 4 coast guard units and a life boat..so why do you think it should be deleted. ?

I also mentioned some campsites are not open to tents in Scotland..which is also relevant to visitors

https://www.facebook.com/PortnadoranCaravanSite/

Update - limited spaces available for SELF-CONTAINED units - sorry NO TENTS.

To add to my post about the search and rescue ... I would advise any visitor to small villages to cover their backs and inform coastguard to prevent it. When I met the coastguard.. I asked if there was anything I could have done to avoid this happening as I had let the owners of the houses nearest the cars know my plans. They shrugged their shoulders and mentioned they have been busy with a few false alarms lately ..but did not elaborate.

So again..can you or anyone elseexplain why this information is useless and you feel it should be deleted? IMO its far more important to a boating forum than..what the best cleaner for my tubes ? However I will accept Im wrong if someone can take the time to explain why Im wrong in posting this info.
Old 06 August 2020, 08:39   #4

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gurney View Post

It always seems to be a certain type of argument or point of view which is posted in this way, and as soon as a dissenting voice is heard the thread is shut down due to "straying into politics". I'm not suggesting an admin bias in one direction or another, but the fact that such threads are left up and visible might give the *appearance* of bias, either amongst the admins or the users of the forum.

I am not inclined to contribute to such threads so its not that I'm angry about my voice not being heard. I just find that at the present time disproportionate weight is given to the opinions of those who enjoy pontificating in public forums. And it gets on my tits.
Well Pontificated!...
(See literal meaning)
It is always entertaining to hear you're thoughts for sure...what free speach is all about
But personally ..having been a member for some years now ...I think the Forum and Admin team do a pretty good job overall.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Old 06 August 2020, 08:45   #5

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi Dan..while I respect your opinion ... as my post was the last one before the thread was closed.. can you let me know why you think it was either political..or contains no useful information ? Im at a total loss to understand why it shut the thread down

Its a true story..and I did it to warn visitors about leaving cars and trailers on beaches at present .... as my example would have been quite costly and was completely unnecessary

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/Ballan...2048310/posts/

Stranraer Coastguard ,with our colleagues in Girvan, Ballantrae & Portpatrick CG Teams, along with Girvan lifeboat were tasked today 2/8/20 regarding concerns raised by a member of the public regarding possible overdue vessels from yesterday evening at Lendalfoot, a search was conducted at various locations and both vessels were located safe & well in Lady Bay.

Note it involved 4 coast guard units and a life boat..so why do you think it should be deleted. ?

I also mentioned some campsites are not open to tents in Scotland..which is also relevant to visitors

https://www.facebook.com/PortnadoranCaravanSite/

Update - limited spaces available for SELF-CONTAINED units - sorry NO TENTS

To add to my post about the search and rescue ... I would advise any visitor to small villages to cover their backs and inform coastguard to prevent it. When I met the coastguard.. I asked if there was anything I could have done to avoid this happening as I had let the owners of the houses nearest the cars know my plans. They shrugged their shoulders and mentioned they have been busy with a few false alarms lately ..but did not elaborate.

So again..can you or anyone elseexplain why this information is useless and you feel it should be deleted? IMO its far more important to a boating forum than..what the best cleaner for my tubes ? However I will accept Im wrong if someone can take the time to explain why Im wrong in posting this info.
I found it most useful Donny...and the sort of info that prompted the question in the first place. Hearing from someone "on the ground" with real world experience (and definitely with no Axe to grind!)...is always good to share on a public Forum!
Hopefully to catch up with you soon

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Old 06 August 2020, 09:19   #6

Its certainly not political from my point of view..its the truth of how Covid is affecting Scotland.. and its absolutely pointless trying to hide from these facts...so why delete them? I have often left my car in that same location..with no issues what so ever. There are only around half a dozen houses in the village.

Some other things you should be aware of ... the Islands of Eigg and Canna are not wanting visitors and have made it public. So please don’t think you can do as in the past and park up in the harbour and get a good meal in the cafe there..they don’t want you. Its not politics ..its fact ..Im Scottish and they don’t want me either.

PLEASE READ our COVID-19 Guidance - The Isle of Eigg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-53458547

We know many people want to come to Eigg this summer, but sadly, for the moment, we ask you not to come.

This may have changed recently but Tobermory pontoon fuel and water was not available last time I enquired .. I presume to deter visitors. You could still land at the pontoons though. So check before going that it is now open for visiting boats.

Dont park a car anywhere that may upset a local.. even if you don’t get the coastguard looking for you ..you may get it “Keyed” as happened to a kayaking friend.

Many campsites are not allowing tents ..check before you go.

I think someone mentioned the were going to Mull soon .. if so check if you intend camping at Fidden Campsite. I heard earlier in the year that they said they were not opening at all this year. They may have changed their mind now ..but do check before going.

So in other words ..follow the advice “Plan your journeys and be totally self sufficient” as you cant guarantee fuel at places you could in the past.

However don’t let it put anyone off..Im sure its the same over the whole world.. folks may not like it but you have to accept..Covid has changed many things we took for granted. ..hell I hate wearing a nose bag ..but Im told its better than wearing a ventilator ..so I do it without question

Stay safe and take care
Old 06 August 2020, 09:21   #7

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
I think we know which recent thread we're talking about. For clarity I don't specifically mean lots of threads on Ribnet, I'm talking about more generally. I also wasn't having a pop at the admin team, just making a genuine suggestion. I've certainly noticed a number of previous posts, if not threads, expressing anti-SNP sentiment without challenge. I dont intend to waste my time trying to dredge them up, particularly in view of the fact that I can't ever seem to get the search function to work.

I think its pretty clear that the OPs intention was to denigrate the efforts of the Scottish Government and more specifically the FM, rather than making a genuine enquiry about peoples travel plans. And while I don't dispute that Donny's incident did actually happen his interpretation of *why* it happened is just an interpretation. It may have been due to a genuine concern for his safety.

I'm not sure why I bothered posting tbh, since I was pretty sure this would be the response. Since I seldom read or post to Ribnet these days anyway it doesn't make a huge difference to me personally. I'll leave you all to it.
Old 06 August 2020, 09:41   #8
Administrator

As ever if anyone has concerns about a particular post then please use the “report post” function so that the admin team can review it.

In my view the original post by Maximus was unnecessarily provocative and if I had noticed it I would probably have deleted it. Rather than delete it now though, and the follow up discussion that went with it, the whole thread has been deposited in the bilges.

There is clearly a discussion to be had about Covid-19 restrictions, but the politics of it are best discussed elsewhere.
Old 06 August 2020, 10:13   #9

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
donny please keep the info coming it's very much appreciated mate.
i dont understand why the thread was shut down but then i'm not easily offended at others opinions nor do i look for something thats not there or intended.
i also dont understand this thread if the OP isn't that bothered either but then he has an opinion too.
anyway get your boats out and chill
Old 06 August 2020, 10:41   #10

Hi Jeff ..thanks for your words.. and don't worry..I will still be around but wont add anything more to this thread after this short comment.

Folks can make up their own mind if I was being political.. giving false info (Even though I backed it up with links which I didn't initially want to do) ..or trying to wind folks up.

It was never my intention ..but I appreciate the written word can often be misinterpreted. I think Dan possibly misinterpreted Maximus ..but then I I have the advantage of knowing him and his sense of humour. I took his words in jest..just as I take the "political" comments in the Five Nation posts in jest too.

Some folks take life..and forums too personally ..and I will leave it at that.

Admin..I have no problems with you putting my comments in the bilges. Thanks for listening anyhoo
Old 06 August 2020, 11:56   #11
Administrator

Respectful suggestion

As I said previously if anyone has concerns about a particular post then please use the “report post” function so that the admin team can review it. As we have seen, making vague but sweeping complaints, even under the guise of a “suggestion” is not particularly helpful as people will interpret in all sorts of ways.

There is clearly a discussion to be had about Covid-19 restrictions, but the politics of it are best discussed elsewhere. Anyone is welcome to start that discussion if they have useful information or genuine questions. Please stick to the practicalities and not the politics.