Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Registered with the TPS.

Well, well, can't these sales callers get nasty, after receiving a call saying that they believe that I was involved in a car accident less than 3 years ago and that I have got some compensation money set to one side for me to claim or something like that.

Well to be honest the last time I was involved in a bump was at least 20 years ago and after getting sick of receiving at least 4 to 5 calls in a day I thought that I would try a different approach and play along so he asked if I had any documentation from this apparent accident so I said yes, I will go and dig it out and can you hang on, okay he said so I went along doing my usual business then after about half an hour YES 1/2 hour I heard a female voice seeing if I was still there as my phone was on loud speaker, so I picked it up and said hello and she said have I found my documents so I said give me an hour so she said that she would phone back later, so I said okay thinking that she won't bother.

Well blow me this guy phones me and said that he phoned me earlier and have I found my documents , hang on I said I will go and get them, this time he gave me about 10 mins before hanging up.

Well 15 mins later phone rings same company but the female on this time asking if I had found my documents yet, have you got an hour I said, she said, you like playing games do you and I said, well I keep getting calls from your company as well as others and that I am registered with the TPS system and that it is illegal for you to send me sales calls, so then I got a bit of abuse before I told her to pi** off then put the phone down.

A few minutes later phone rings again this time the bloke, saying that he knows my address reading it out me, and that a crew will be coming up to torch my house. Now I am not intimidated by his threats but how many people are... especially the old. These company's want shutting down but there doesn't seem to be anything done about it and signing up to the TPS means diddley squat.
Old 09 July 2012, 20:00   #2

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Just tell them your German and a SS member.
Old 09 July 2012, 20:19   #3

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I don't get too many sales calls but as I am also registered with the TPS I just replace the receiver as soon as I realise what it is.
Never had a call back yet as they can't get me to even engage with them past "hello", as soon as I get that it is a salesman the phone immediately gets put down without a further word from me.

However if I was threatened like this I am afraid I would be straight onto BT and report the conversation and the police with the number BT would have after their check.
Threats like that are out of order even if they are toothless. At the very least a quick visit by plod and some correspondence from BT would scare the bejesus out of them.
Old 09 July 2012, 20:29   #4

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
These company's want shutting down but there doesn't seem to be anything done about it and signing up to the TPS means diddley squat.
Quite agree .. they are fekin pain in the ass .. I'm registered with TPS corporate TPS and yes ... Fax TPS

I am sick and tired of these shite bags phoning me... so now I just hang up as sometimes my office phone is on divert to my mobile, which means I am even paying for their damn call

Quite often when I hang up on some of them ,.. they phone me back to say I just hung up on them ?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Fortunately 3 Days a week the blond in the office takes the flak but for the other two days .. I want to break out the schmeisser
Old 09 July 2012, 20:30   #5

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Condor
Make: Proshore
Length: under 3m
Engine: Merc 3.5
MMSI: 235907337
I watched panorama last week about these lying towrags (secret filming etc) and when it comes tothe TPS it's actually overseen by the association of annoying towrags. When the reporter asked how many complaints the TPS he replied about 2000 a month, how many companies had been prosicuted in the last 18 months? Reply errrr none.

I've had one tonight came up out of area on phone. When asked where they had got my ex directory number from she said oh it's generated because we're an advice service. I advised her to take number off database and DON'T give or sell my bleedin number to anyone either.

No doubt they will take no notice and just continue to annoy people, it's about time the government made some laws or ofcom got off their ar$es and did something about this but all they say when they can't be bothered is " we don't have the powers to stop them" they even call mobiles now and bug you on there.

One good thing ofcom did do though it's not an offence to use obscene language over the telecommunications network because the words are used in normal conversation so you can happily tell them to "Foxtrot Oscar"

Bob
Old 09 July 2012, 20:38   #6

Because of all the 'list selling ' that goes on, where a phone number is 'required' for an internet sale for example I use my second house phone line, which rings like a good 'un some nights, with spam callers, its amazing how soon your number gets passed around, I dont seem to find the same issue when Ive used my mobile as a contact number though ?

Anyway, I also use anonymous caller reject at home .. that stops a shed load of them too

Sometimes the automated spam call messages actually have a 'press to be excluded ' option at the end of their message which is worth trying
Old 09 July 2012, 20:40   #7

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I want to break out the schmeisser
Could I borrow it
Old 09 July 2012, 21:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Could I borrow it
Nein ....... I must apologise for my countries conduct during telephon de-regulation ... we have clearly vun ze battle but lost ze vor !
Old 10 July 2012, 01:53   #9

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Engine: evinrude 135hp
I agree these calls are bloody annoying.

Last time I was called at home, I made out I was interested, and got further along the process, then asked how I could be sure the company was genuine, and asked for thier address and details so I could check the company out before commiting anything to them.
After they assured me they were UK based, PLC, and gave me a company name and address, I then asked how they had got my number, and got them on the defensive when told them that I had signed up to TPS, and I would be reporting them to Offcom. They tried to tell me I was not on the TS list, and became very defensive.
Up until that point I had been getting about 1 call a week (i think it was to do with PPI misselling) I ranted at them for a good 5 minutes telling them to make sure they never called me again and to take me from their lists, and eventually they hung up on me.

Strangely I have not been called back since.

The other issue i have is I am abroad a lot, and when I get a call or text trying to sell me something it costs me. If i am in far east it will typically cost me 2 quid a minute for someone to try to sell me something, and even if i cut them off, Vodaphone charge in 1 minute lots. Bloody annoying I can tell you!
Old 10 July 2012, 06:19   #10

Town: Fareham
when these sales people start getting funny on the phone with me I point out they are getting recorded for training purposes. It's surprising how many hang up on the spot.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2012, 07:43   #11

Length: 7m +
Very nasty threat, get on to the Police and the Police can contact BT and see if those who called were from overseas or UK, if overseas I doubt much action could be done but if UK I would hope some action would be taken. It was a rather nasty threat.
Old 10 July 2012, 07:53   #12

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
I used to get loads of junk faxes in the olden days, I get the odd text but no calls but I had thought of getting myself a premium rate phone number, not an expensive one, couple of quid a minute would do, then I'd be happy to chat about PPI for as long as they wanted - someone did tell me that it'd not be all the legal though.
Old 10 July 2012, 09:52   #13

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Very nasty threat, get on to the Police and the Police can contact BT and see if those who called were from overseas or UK, if overseas I doubt much action could be done but if UK I would hope some action would be taken. It was a rather nasty threat.
They were UK based as they didn't have Indian accents but scouse so they will be Liverpool or Merseyside based. I have phoned ofcom regarding TPS and they then refered me to the Internal Commission Office who then logged my complaint and told me to contact my service provider and also the police which I am going to do today, although I will leave the police out of it for now, because I do not have much faith in them, they usually only act after the event, not before, as we find out on the news time and time again.
Old 10 July 2012, 11:08   #14

Town: wirral
Boat name: midlife Too
Make: COBRA
Engine: 15O E-TEC
MMSI: one day !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny

They were UK based as they didn't have Indian accents but scouse so they will be Liverpool or Merseyside based. I have phoned ofcom regarding TPS and they then refered me to the Internal Commission Office who then logged my complaint and told me to contact my service provider and also the police which I am going to do today, although I will leave the police out of it for now, because I do not have much faith in them, they usually only act after the event, not before, as we find out on the news time and time again.
My ten bob curry's phone tells me if its international or out of area or number withheld, not of these get answer'd unless the dog gets there first lol. You should start with" I work for the council you know" that does it for me lol.
Old 10 July 2012, 11:28   #15

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
"Hello, Have you got ten minutes for me to tell you about our exciting range of kitchens?"

My reply a) "Yes, if you have ten minutes first for me to tell you about the joy that Jesus could bring into your life."

My reply b) "Yes, but I think you ought to be aware that I am naked as I listen to you."

My reply c) "Yes, but first I need to go through some security questions with you..."
Old 11 July 2012, 10:13   #16

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN
"Hello, Have you got ten minutes for me to tell you about our exciting range of kitchens?"

My reply a) "Yes, if you have ten minutes first for me to tell you about the joy that Jesus could bring into your life."

My reply b) "Yes, but I think you ought to be aware that I am naked as I listen to you."

My reply c) "Yes, but first I need to go through some security questions with you..."
Brrrr brrrr
Me "hello Doncaster infirmary psychiatric ward, how can I help?"
Them "oh err can I speak to mr Pikey Dave please?"
Me "he's in therapy at the moment, can I take a message?"
Click brrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2012, 12:48   #17

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Pikey Dave I tried that one it was my G.P. OOPs, I usually try and sell them a boat (i havent got any but I know people that have) they usually ring of as I get to describing the beutifull internals of the engine,(you just cant help some people)