Old 21 April 2006, 20:48   #21
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Roy, my experience differs to yours.

The domains rib.net and ribworld.com both point to the same place. They are interchangeable.

RIBnet is number one Google search result for the word "rib"

Maybe I'm just lucky . . .

John
Old 21 April 2006, 21:14   #22

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
I haven't got time to go through every page of ribnet in the google database (im not that sad ) but - if you type in site:www.ribworld.com into google and then site:www.rib.net

you will see a set of results which are (i believe) mutually exclusive. e.g the first result in the first search returns the page www.ribworld.com/forum/index.php and i don't believe the same result is returned at all under the second search.

It would appear that the duplicate filtering for ribnet has been done on a page by page basis and therefore there are pages that will never show up under the ribnet name and others that will never show up under ribworld.

All im saying is that it would have been better in the beginning to have forwarded www.ribworld.com to www.rib.net rather than have it as a copy - or alternatively have some dynamic content at the start of the page somewhere that made google see it as a different site.

Either way - i don't think RIBnet has much to worry about - with the kind of content in your database (both quality and quantity) and number of inward links that you must have from other sites you are bound to come out top a lot, if not all of the time.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2006, 02:10   #23

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
dctucker - if you follow your suggestions and point a second domain name at an existing web hosting package you WILL be penalised by googles duplicate content filter and possibly even deleted from their index all together.

Do a google search on "google duplicate content filter" if you don't believe me.

Pointing multiple domain names at the same website can prevent a page from being indexed by google for months - even years !!!

I'm not going to bother to say it again - choose to ignore my warning at your own risk...
All right, you taught me something. Thank you. I'm happy to admit that SEO is not my area of expertise. What I've learned just points out that moving the content to a proper web host with a TLD would be the cleanest option, IMHO.

However, I've used the redirect option, similar to what is described here, which is what Dal's quick and easy solution is without moving to a paid host. I don't think this would cause issues with duplicate content, likely it is a simple 301 redirect. There is no duplication of content. I beleive this to be the case, as the actual domain will appear in the address window, unless the domain hider is on, in which case your actual page address will show in the status bar when you hover on a link. Again, IME and IMHO. Hell, I like to be contrarian, and offer a KISS solution whenever possible. Not a bad deal for $7.95 USD!

As pointed out above, if search results aren't important to Dal, none of this matters! In fact, we're all just jerking around, as we have NO IDEA what Dal's goals are... and I suspect he may not be real sure!
Old 22 April 2006, 02:49   #24

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Good stuff!!! Thanks to all.
Actually I found a site that does all the hard work for you.
http://www.printroom.com/

I had people flag me down while out on my RIB, after shooting them wanting copies
Just wanted to see if I could make more of a part time business out of it than just the occasional sale. Be great to be out on the water having fun and getting paid for it
So here's the plan so far,
get advertising splashed on the RIB with the .com site. (Something easy to remember ) And maybe a large flag or other banner with the same info.
I plan to make sure the people are aware they can check the site to see if a photo of them is available.
So they check the .com site that auto directs (or whatever the correct term is) to my home page. on there will be examples of a variety of water sport/events/ tall ships/ Naval deployments/races etc that I have covered.
On my home page is a link to the printroom site which basically does the rest.
I download my photos to their site and set prices. they display the galleries ,take the orders/process the shots and deliver. They take the processing costs and a commision and send you a monthly check.
I know it's not as profitable as doing it all yourself; but does seem very appealing and they handle all the hassles.
So dont need a lot of storage space and my existing ISP provides adequate room for my home page.
In fact registering the .com name seems cheap and wonder if there's a catch
Checked the Go.Daddy site and seems some cheap deals at the moment!
Just need that catchy name Any ideas????
cheers Dal
Old 22 April 2006, 19:32   #25

Okay, now we know what you're doing!

Printroom.com looks like a great solution for what you want to do. You are going to want to be found even if people can't quite remember the name. Based on what you want to do, I would recommend proper hosting for your site, but I don't think it's going to kill you to host on your residential ISP. Domain names ARE cheap, there's no catch. Domain names are a commodity, and registrars want to sell you add-on services, including hosting...

For a name, how about
ribshots.com?
photorib.com?
dagophoto.com?
diegophoto.com?
watershots.net?

Check out nvu.com for a free, open source html editor along the lines of Frontpage or Dreamweaver. I started playing with it last week, has some limitations, but should be just right for what you need.

Consult your tax advisor... you should be able to write off running expenses of the rib while shooting, registration fees, taxes, ramp fees,and depreciation. Brilliant!
Old 23 April 2006, 09:59   #26

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
The best place to ask this question http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ the rib.net for hosting and related subjects, DNS is the search you need, you need five posts before they let you start a thread. I use zoom reseller account at $4.95 per month its the dogs bo**ocks http://www.resellerzoom.com/budget-reseller.shtml upto 50 domains hosted, I have ten hosted via DNS all pointing to the same nameserver, all rank on google, but all have different content, domains registered with http://www.1and1.co.uk. Decided on these after researching for some time and all has gone well since, good luck with the site, looks good.
mark
Old 24 April 2006, 04:59   #27

Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR5.4
Engine: Suzuki DF70
Hi Darrall,

How did I miss this one. Anyways webhostingtalk.com is def a good place to find the best info on hosting, and all web related issues. I also think you might want to move away from the cox residential hosting. I think there is a stipulation that its not useable for business purposes. For starting out I would go with a seperate e-commerce provider until you start getting enough traffic to do it yourself. You could even just setup a simple paypal shopping cart system but even they take a small cut...

Boatster
Old 24 April 2006, 05:09   #28

DC,
thanks for the advice.
Wanted something easy that your average "tourist" could remember.
So stayed away from the RIB prefixes as wouldn't mean much to the majority over here.(Would have to call it "Big orange inflatable rafty thing.Com ")
If the comments I get are anything to go by
So wanted BayPhoto.com (as most of my stuff is done in "The big Bay" as the tourism board calls it.
However someone had that; so settled on Bayshots.com.
I already have an email with a similar address and I like the fact its short and hopefully easy to remember.
So getting some lettering done for the RIB which will give me time to get the site sorted.
I do have Front Page and also MS Publisher, so can get to work on that.

Mark, thanks for the web hosting chat site.Lots of useful stuff there and chose went with Cheapnames after reading feedback.
Bit dull today but got a couple of shots.
And who says it never snows in San Diego (not my shot )
cheers Dal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cg boat (Small).jpg
Views:	252
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	18649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011a (Small).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	18650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013a (Small).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	18651   Click image for larger version

Name:	SanDiegoMarch06 (Small).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	18652  
Old 24 April 2006, 16:15   #29

I like the purple spinnaker on the sailyboat, though I think they need to fly me to the west coast for some coaching on sail trim! Or else it's a worn out old sail.

Good choice on the name, I would say. Boatster does raise a good point about using the cox account for business purposes, most residential ISPs have language in the user agreement about that not being allowed, but frankly, unless you're seeing heaps of traffic, they're not likely to notice. And as I understand it, you don't need e-commerce or shopping cart, the Printroom.com site takes care of all that. If you ever do, I can help you out.

Seems to me you have a good sensible plan.

Oh, and you should be able to write off your camera gear and expenses too! I think you have 3 or 5 years to show a profit!
Old 24 April 2006, 22:32   #30

Dc,
On my home page I hope just to show examples of my work.
So there will be a link to the printroom site where the "business end" will happen.
So I read the cox user agreement and I think I will be Ok as I am not really doing business from that site.(Just using a link to point to it)
Will give a try and can always make alternate arrangements later.
cheers Dal
Old 25 April 2006, 05:32   #31

oops forgot

Dc,
heres another sailything for you. Hope the trim is correct
cheers Dal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woody 034a (Small).jpg
Views:	202
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	18669  
Old 26 April 2006, 01:08   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeydal
Dc,
heres another sailything for you. Hope the trim is correct
cheers Dal
Much Better! Nice sail trim, good crew weight distribution, rig pulled forward...

Though I suspect the white chute in the backround is sailing the lot of them right off the racecourse, just to be obstinent while trying to avoid being passed!