Old 29 June 2007, 06:25   #1

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Pompey up in smoke

Always at the forefront of healthy living Portsmouth...

A local pub is holding a 'Smokeathon' in advance of the Big Ban.

Pete 7 meanwhile will have to leap off the Pac every time he needs the old nicotine

K & P
Old 29 June 2007, 09:20   #2

Town: Leighton Buzzard
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens View Post
Always at the forefront of healthy living Portsmouth...

A local pub is holding a 'Smokeathon' in advance of the Big Ban.

Pete 7 meanwhile will have to leap off the Pac every time he needs the old nicotine

K & P
Pete 7 can stay onboard till next year vessels are exempt from the new rules, they are saying it will be first quarter 2008 at least before it comes in
Old 29 June 2007, 12:17   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I hate smoking with a passion BUT I hate this government and it's heavy handed laws even more. I have no doubt smokers are in the minority in the UK these days BUT I am sure if they were to survey pub and club goers they would find it the other way around.

I can see many of our smaller pubs closing because of this - mates of mine have also said it has ruined the ambience of the pubs they go to and even the non smokers say the same.

Even worse people are buying booze to take home with them and then making their kids suffer from a lot more smoke - yes it's happening. I can also see more clubbers turn9ing to drugs if they can't have a smoke.

In Swansea every where I walk is now covered with fag butts - even outside local supermarkets where the staff are forced to smoke. Oh I know they now have litter wardens who will fine people £75 but I would LOVE to see them do it to a crowd on The Kingsway in Swansea at 2am!!!

Why not bring in a rule that pubs must have powerful extractor fans? That way everyone would have been happy!!!
Old 29 June 2007, 15:41   #4

Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I hate smoking with a passion BUT I hate this government and it's heavy handed laws even more. I have no doubt smokers are in the minority in the UK these days BUT I am sure if they were to survey pub and club goers they would find it the other way around.

I can see many of our smaller pubs closing because of this - mates of mine have also said it has ruined the ambience of the pubs they go to and even the non smokers say the same.

Even worse people are buying booze to take home with them and then making their kids suffer from a lot more smoke - yes it's happening. I can also see more clubbers turn9ing to drugs if they can't have a smoke.

Why not bring in a rule that pubs must have powerful extractor fans? That way everyone would have been happy!!!
I know it seems really heavy handed but there are two sides. I agree that the pubs do suffer. When you go to Ireland, every pub landlord says that they have suffered since the ban, but on the up side, more people have given up - therefore not putting such a pressure on the health service.

My mate who runs a local pub looked into having all the fancy extractors fitted and because the pub is a listed building the cost was more than his annual takings - it wasn't worth it.

On Monday we went into a cafe for breakfast (whilst waiting for the trailer to be fixed) - pouring with rain outside. Then a woman walked in and chain smoked - it was awful. My daughter even commented on how bad it was getting - I as a non-smoker should not have to sit through that and have to taste her cigarettes when I'm trying to eat my breakfast. I'm not sure that an extractor fan is the answer!

In some respects I wish they had gone further to say that you cannot smoke within 100 m of an entrance so that you don't have to run the gauntlet of trying to get into a building without having to be inundated with all the smokers fumes.

Sorry Codprawn on this one I disagree with you - I cannot wait for the ban on the 1st.
Old 29 June 2007, 16:29   #5

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Pending
Make: Pending
Length: no boat
I have given up & am glad to have done so (been tryin for years) i am not anti smoking & it was my choise to give up, but i belive that the taxation on the ciggi bring's in far more than the accutal genuine cost to the NHS of giving care to smoking related problems & would like to see anyone give genuine convincing figures to the contrary. I would like to be proved wrong as now i belive that the goverment will have to make up the loss in revenue with other tax's, as i belive the current tax per 20 pack is about £3.85 in G-B's pocket now time's that by however million people smoke, some more than one pack pr day! Sorry i cant see how it is taxing on the NHS.
Mike.

The Titanic was built by professionals - The Ark was built by one man!
www.aqua-care.co.uk
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2007, 16:49   #6

If people are worried about smoker's what about all the unseen crap in the air.......did anyone see the program about WIFI radiation? i dont have anything that uses WIFI so why should i eat my breakfast being infected by somthing somone else uses? TOUGH ONE IN'IT (what's good enough for peter is good for paul) I do belive PUB's & CLUB's will suffer & that's not really fair on them, but are the goverment now going to pay them a subsidey for loss of earning's with all the spare cash they dont have to give to the NHS for smoker's? yeah right!!!!
P.S.
I am an X-smoker & dont care what other people chose to do as long as it does'ent cost me anything, if i dont want to smell smoke i can move as long as they dont do it around Kid's as they dont always have a choice of walking away.
ONLY MY OPINION
Mike.

www.aqua-care.co.uk
Old 29 June 2007, 17:35   #7

No smoke without fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickuk3 View Post
Pete 7 can stay onboard till next year vessels are exempt from the new rules, they are saying it will be first quarter 2008 at least before it comes in
Was only joking about Pete on the Pac !

Didn't realise that Richard!

K & P
Old 29 June 2007, 17:38   #8

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
That was us on the Way to Alderney. Anyway disgusting addictive habit that should be banned, once we have finished the duty free

I should also point out that the Pac does the same mpg as most petrol ribs, so what about all those horrible invisable petrol fumes you lot are leaving all over the solent, disgusting silent invisable killer, buy a yot
Pete
Old 29 June 2007, 17:53   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

I should also point out that the Pac does the same mpg as most petrol ribs, so what about all those horrible invisable petrol fumes you lot are leaving all over the solent, disgusting silent invisable killer,

You can't see ours following us about though

Besides, most WAFIs are silent until they shout 'Steam gives way to sail' and run you down while you're anchored....

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2007, 17:54   #10

Ye need a new bad habit!

LOL

Old Spice is just one big cigar

Yotties drink a lot.

Allegedly (been listening to Sir Mark's tales)

K & P
Old 29 June 2007, 18:13   #11

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Quote:
LOL

Yotties drink a lot.

K & P
Tis true.
If sea water tasted better and had more alcohol, that would be drunk as well during Cowes/Cork Week. And then what would we do?
Land yachting?

Shock news.
I think I will be giving up as I will not be able to smoke in my garden shed.
It doubles as my place of work.
Old 29 June 2007, 18:22   #12

An Englisman's home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday View Post
Shock news.
I think I will be giving up as I will not be able to smoke in my garden shed.
It doubles as my place of work.
But that's Gnome Sweet Gnome!

It's a bit much if the Nanny State can put you on the Nauti Step in your own backyard!!!!

K & P (friends of the Nauti Step main supplier)
Old 29 June 2007, 22:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
If people are worried about smoker's what about all the unseen crap in the air.......did anyone see the program about WIFI radiation? i dont have anything that uses WIFI so why should i eat my breakfast being infected by somthing somone else uses? TOUGH ONE IN'IT (what's good enough for peter is good for paul) I do belive PUB's & CLUB's will suffer & that's not really fair on them, but are the goverment now going to pay them a subsidey for loss of earning's with all the spare cash they dont have to give to the NHS for smoker's? yeah right!!!!
P.S.
I am an X-smoker & dont care what other people chose to do as long as it does'ent cost me anything, if i dont want to smell smoke i can move as long as they dont do it around Kid's as they dont always have a choice of walking away.
ONLY MY OPINION
Mike.
I wouldn't get too worked up about wifi but what does worry me and IS causing me health problems is the local waste incinerator. I can avoid smokers by staying out of pubs and clubs - I can't avoid a 300' chimney that belches out God knows what 365 days a year!!!
Old 29 June 2007, 22:50   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Quote:
LOL

Yotties drink a lot.

K & P
Cigar!!! I thing a Pipe!!!!
Old 29 June 2007, 23:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I wouldn't get too worked up about wifi but what does worry me and IS causing me health problems is the local waste incinerator. I can avoid smokers by staying out of pubs and clubs - I can't avoid a 300' chimney that belches out God knows what 365 days a year!!!
Codder's
You need to find out who's been putting those car's around Central London & get um to place a couple at the base of your chimney problem & tell it's a political strong hold.......problem solved
Mike.

www.aqua-care.co.uk
Old 30 June 2007, 00:19   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Codder's
You need to find out who's been putting those car's around Central London & get um to place a couple at the base of your chimney problem & tell it's a political strong hold.......problem solved
Mike.
Nah they wouldn't go off............
Old 30 June 2007, 01:16   #17

True...
Mike.

www.aqua-care.co.uk