Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Phone calls regarding viruses malicious viruses on my computer.

Anyone else getting these calls from India... hello my name is Michael... its never Gupta is it this is not a sales call but an advisory call regarding viruses on my computer. Microsoft have informed us that I have some malicious viruses on my computer and if I go onto my pc now he can guide me through it. Is anyone else receiving these calls ?? Now I'm no computer expert but there is no way I would allow Gupt...erm Michael into my pc.
Old 21 June 2012, 16:01   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Yes, I have been having two such calls per week now for about two months.
I interrupt them after 3/4 words and say "I am not interested please delete my phone number from your database" and hang up. Do not wait for ANY reply.
Old 21 June 2012, 16:02   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
If you check the drop down menu here, I think you'll find that I, I mean Michael was actually Anjali.

You should be more trusting Kerny
Old 21 June 2012, 16:09   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I think you'll find that I, I mean Michael was actually Anjali.
sounds more like umgali to me mate
Old 21 June 2012, 18:14   #5

Town: wirral
Boat name: midlife Too
Make: COBRA
Length: 6m +
Engine: 15O E-TEC
MMSI: one day !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny
sounds more like umgali to me mate
We got one on monday, said he was from microsoft, saying our comp had been sending fault codes, it has'nt been turned on for over a month lol, so I kept him on the line till he got fed up lol.
Old 21 June 2012, 18:23   #6

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
The father in law has had a few of these calls and again its someone claiming to be from Microsoft and that the computer is curently infected with a virus. They explained that if they follow their instructions they can clean the computer over the phone.

My father in law on the third call simply said ok, give me a couple of minutes to fire it up, then left the phone on the table in the lounge. After a few minutes he picked the phone up and said its still loading hang on.... Again he put the phone down and waited. After a few more minutes the caller had given up and hopefully wont call back.
Old 21 June 2012, 18:30   #7

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by actions View Post
The father in law has had a few of these calls and again its someone claiming to be from Microsoft and that the computer is curently infected with a virus. They explained that if they follow their instructions they can clean the computer over the phone.

My father in law on the third call simply said ok, give me a couple of minutes to fire it up, then left the phone on the table in the lounge. After a few minutes he picked the phone up and said its still loading hang on.... Again he put the phone down and waited. After a few more minutes the caller had given up and hopefully wont call back.
Damn windows boots up sooooooo slow lol
Old 21 June 2012, 18:41   #8

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by actions View Post

They would more than likely pass you on to another line called the Virtual Doctor, they take over your computer and clear any virus and software issue's that might be there.
They offer 24hr cover if you agree to a contract with them i know some one that use's them to look after there business computers and they are good they maintain your computer and keep it running as if its new and not expensive so i was told. If its the same 1 Virtual Doctor they are okay

I was told they are UK based but like everyone else use mumbai calling 1st
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2012, 18:45   #9

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
They would more than likely pass you on to another line called the Virtual Doctor, they take over your computer and clear any virus and software issue's that might be there.
They offer 24hr cover if you agree to a contract with them i know some one that use's them to look after there business computers and they are good they maintain your computer and keep it running as if its new and not expensive so i was told. If its the same 1 Virtual Doctor they are okay

I was told they are UK based but like everyone else use mumbi calling 1st
Fair one, i have to say though, i still wouldnt trust a cold caller.

I simply let Norton check the computer daily and if it goes wrong pop it into the chap in the town who sorts it all out.

Having said all that i did use Nortons online help once and had a chap from America online sorting out an issue which worked perfectly.
Old 21 June 2012, 18:47   #10

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post

I was told they are UK based but like everyone else use mumbi calling 1st
Some companys are ok until you decide not to go ahead with the contract or you try delete the programe and it then takes a load of other programs with it as a (sour grapes )issue usually you dont know about anything until you discover later your disc defrag wont work ,
Old 21 June 2012, 18:54   #11

RIBase
Done a bit of DIY maintenance on mine today, the fan kept coming on every few mins so I Googled the problem and it said open up the tower and clean the dust out which I have done, there was about four years of dust in there put it all back together and its running like new. Glad I didn't tell Michael that he probably would have signed me up to one of them Virtual Doctor Gupta conracts
Old 21 June 2012, 19:29   #12
Administrator

Town: Pacific NW, USA
Length: under 3m
RIBase
Interrupt the caller or when they ask about your windows computer say "before we talk about that can you tell me what you're wearing". Then ask for detail...
Old 21 June 2012, 19:35   #13

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Viper
Make: XS
Engine: Outboard 2x 100
I've had a few of these. Just asked them to give me a few more details from their investigations like what OS I'm running. Odd but they hung up then.
Old 21 June 2012, 21:34   #14

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Interrupt the caller or when they ask about your windows computer say "before we talk about that can you tell me what you're wearing". Then ask for detail...
Old 22 June 2012, 07:07   #15

Town: Wiltshire
Boat name: Dennis & no name
Make: Avon Sportboat & SR
Engine: 3.5 & ??
Anyone that calls saying you have trouble with your computer is dodgy! My mum had a call from an Asian sounding Michael last Monday weirdly enough. Just glad she was suspicious and stopped the call.
Old 22 June 2012, 08:34   #16

I get on average two or three a week, as im an IT Security professional I would advise if you get any calls from people claiming to be from an IT Support centre or Microsoft to just put the phone down, these are all bogus. Dont have a go at them on the phone as they will and do get abusive and will repeatedly call you back.

Never follow any instructions they tell you to do.

If you do follow what they ask or buy from them you may find yourself on what is known as a 'suckers list' which is a list these people sell to other criminal gangs of people who are easily exploitable which will then cause more calls and cons.

The intention of these people is to scam you into either purchasing a service or anti-virus software that you dont need or even worse to attempt you to do actions which install a malicous program in the background which will collect any user id's and passwords you may use or other information on your computer. If you carry out there instructions you may find money missing from your bank account if youve used your computer for internet banking or use it to purchase goods over the internet. There are criminal gangs involved in this activity and it has become far more sophisticated over the years.

So just ignore them.

If you want to keep your computer safe from viruses and hackers then buy security software from a reputable source, anti-virus and a personal firewall and make sure these software packages are maintained, ensure you download latest patches regularly. Get a external hard drive and back up your important data regularly and if you have a laptop encrypt the hard drive to protect against theft.

Hope this helps.
Old 22 June 2012, 08:53   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I get on average two or three a week, as im an IT Security professional I would advise if you get any calls from people claiming to be from an IT Support centre or Microsoft to just put the phone down, these are all bogus. Dont have a go at them on the phone as they will and do get abusive and will repeatedly call you back.

Never follow any instructions they tell you to do.

If you do follow what they ask or buy from them you may find yourself on what is known as a 'suckers list' which is a list these people sell to other criminal gangs of people who are easily exploitable which will then cause more calls and cons.

The intention of these people is to scam you into either purchasing a service or anti-virus software that you dont need or even worse to attempt you to do actions which install a malicous program in the background which will collect any user id's and passwords you may use or other information on your computer. If you carry out there instructions you may find money missing from your bank account if youve used your computer for internet banking or use it to purchase goods over the internet. There are criminal gangs involved in this activity and it has become far more sophisticated over the years.

So just ignore them.

If you want to keep your computer safe from viruses and hackers then buy security software from a reputable source, anti-virus and a personal firewall and make sure these software packages are maintained, ensure you download latest patches regularly. Get a external hard drive and back up your important data regularly and if you have a laptop encrypt the hard drive to protect against theft.

Hope this helps.
My thoughts exactly, they can't be genuine if they want to do all this by a phone call. I like Janet H's idea though, tell me what you are wearing.....Michael !! what colour are your underpants and do they match your turban