Old 28 May 2014, 17:08   #1

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Paypal for under 18's

My daughter is 16 and now she's got a part time job and a bank account she wants to start selling and buying on sites like ebay, online shops etc.

To do this as safely as possible she wants a Paypal account but as far as I can see you need a credit card to complete registration. Obviously being younger than the legal age for a credit card lies the problem.

Seems like a catch 22 scenario. Anyone else had this problem and how did you get around it?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2014, 17:14   #2

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
My daughter is 16 and now she's got a part time job and a bank account she wants to start selling and buying on sites like ebay, online shops etc.

To do this as safely as possible she wants a Paypal account but as far as I can see you need a credit card to complete registration. Obviously being younger than the legal age for a credit card lies the problem.

Seems like a catch 22 scenario. Anyone else had this problem and how did you get around it?
I'm 16 and when I buy & sell stuff on ebay I just have the account set up with my dad's paypal then pay him/he pays me accordingly.
Old 28 May 2014, 17:20   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Andy,

No idea if they will work for Paypal registration - but how about a pre-paid credit card which are created with under 18s in mind. As I recall it wasn't essential to have a card at all for Paypal. Even for their 'verified' accounts if you linked (and approved) a bank account by direct debit (which she can do at 16?) it was OK - however they may have changed their rules - they will obviously be keen to ensure they have a mechanism to recover any chargebacks.
Old 28 May 2014, 17:21   #4

Length: 5m +
I've had a Paypal account since I was 15. When I registered, you didn't actually NEED a credit card, it would just leave your account as 'unverified' (which was never a problem for stuff like eBay, online shopping etc.) if you didn't put any details in. Sounds like it has changed since then. I had a debit card though, so I just put in those details and it was all fine, probably the easiest way to do it.
Old 28 May 2014, 17:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryfreston View Post
I'm 16 and when I buy & sell stuff on ebay I just have the account set up with my dad's paypal then pay him/he pays me accordingly.
I've already mentioned that, she's a very independent girl and wants to do it by herself.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 28 May 2014, 17:21   #6

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
You have to be 18 to even register on Ebay, let alone activate a Paypal account.

Best solution is for you to create an account in your name and allow her to use it. I would open a seperate account with a debit card for her to use. This is allowed on ebay.
Old 28 May 2014, 17:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_moose View Post
I've had a Paypal account since I was 15. When I registered, you didn't actually NEED a credit card, it would just leave your account as 'unverified' (which was never a problem for stuff like eBay, online shopping etc.) if you didn't put any details in. Sounds like it has changed since then. I had a debit card though, so I just put in those details and it was all fine, probably the easiest way to do it.
Yes it must have changed as that's how I remember it when I registered years ago.

I'm kind of against the idea of a debit card as you don't have the same protection that a credit card gives you.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 28 May 2014, 17:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
You have to be 18 to even register on Ebay, let alone activate a Paypal account.

Best solution is for you to create an account in your name and allow her to use it. I would open a seperate account with a debit card for her to use. This is allowed on ebay.
I'm beginning to realise that this might be the only option.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 30 May 2014, 08:51   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Yes it must have changed as that's how I remember it when I registered years ago.

I'm kind of against the idea of a debit card as you don't have the same protection that a credit card gives you.
We've been through all this over the last couple of years, and the fact is if only using paypal for ebay transactions a debit card is fine because PayPal itself is the one already offering you the protection, or lack thereof if the buyer claims all his money back... I wouldn't expect a credit card company to side with you rather than paypal in that situation but I may be wrong.

As mentioned above the sensible thing to do would be for her just to use your accounts. The benefits are two fold - presumably you already have feedback on your ebay account so she doesn't have to buy up rubbish from sellers and then sell it on to build up a track record and a simple paypal set up.