Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Nice scam

I can see people falling for this one. Not sure what they expect to get out of you though..?

At first I must admit I wasn't completely sure, but a glance at the website and a quick google confirmed my suspicions.

Quote:
Dear Manager,
(If you are not the person who is in charge of this, please forward this to your CEO,Thanks)
This email is from China domain name registration center, which mainly deal with the domain name registration in China. We received an application from Hansen Ltd on July 9, 2012. They want to register " osprey-owners " as their internet keyword and China/Asia (CN/ASIA) domain names. But after checking it, we find this name conflicts with your company. In order to deal with this matter better, so we send you email and confirm whether this company is your distributor or business partner in China or not?
Best Regards
John
General Manager
Shanghai Office (Head Office)
3002, Nanhai Building, No. 854 Nandan Road,
Xuhui District, Shanghai 200070, China
Tel: +86 216191 8696
Mobile: +86 1870199 4951
Fax: +86 216191 8697
Web: www.ygnetwork.com
Just to be sure I google mapsed the addresses and none of them exist
Old 06 August 2012, 13:48   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Gotchi, there are many many such scams, and if this is the first one you have had in the time you have been running Osprey Owners Assoc website you have done well. Basically the plan is you worry someone else is trying to muscle in on your brand (less relevant to your site - but its all database driven not a human being deciding to contact you), and so respond asking them to register osprey-owners.co.cc in your name and pay them a fee for doing so.
Old 06 August 2012, 14:35   #3

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
I Had the same email. There is a company we deal with called Hansen in the USA who make 4x4 equipment, which gave it a coincidental validity. The implication was that they were going to register my website in China and try to steal enquiries and block me doing the same.
Old 06 August 2012, 15:33   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Gotchi, there are many many such scams, and if this is the first one you have had in the time you have been running Osprey Owners Assoc website you have done well. Basically the plan is you worry someone else is trying to muscle in on your brand (less relevant to your site - but its all database driven not a human being deciding to contact you), and so respond asking them to register osprey-owners.co.cc in your name and pay them a fee for doing so.
No, it's not the first I have received, but the first I was interested as to how they planned to get money out of me because most are blindingly obvious

Thanks for clearing it up
Old 07 August 2012, 11:24   #5

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
respond asking them to register osprey-owners.co.cc in your name and pay them an outrageous fee for doing so.
It's the inflated registration fee that is the scam. Plus they'll probably get your payment card details as well.