Old 25 August 2011, 14:38   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
New Website.

Leaving myself open to abuse, but comments good and bad on new webpages , just going live but a few glitches to iron out

C2Ribs | Rib Charter |
Old 25 August 2011, 15:22   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Looks great! One suggestion I'd have is to keep the general continuously rotating images as they currently are on the homepage. On the other sections, have rotating images that are most relevant to that section. In the gallery section, take out the continuously rotating images altogether to make room for large, full screen gallery images (with that same small image index tab selector at the bottom) This is the section where you want to give you visitors the freedom to control what images the view at their own pace.
Old 25 August 2011, 16:38   #3

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Really nice

Not to slow to load for an image rich site, some great pics too. Easy to get around but with lots of info for the determined reader.

Can we do a reciprocal link each?
Old 26 August 2011, 07:48   #4

Length: 7m +
Might be that the site is done with Java enabled or something like that, as im viewing from a work laptop I cannot see any of the information other than the main banner with the rotating images. Many companies would have various elements of internet explorer functionality dissabled or 'controlled' due to risk Java and other things present, so if your looking for any mid to large companies chartering for team events etc you might want to consider looking at the code and using straight html rather than java or active x type controls. In the current form if I were looking for a team charter I might go to a competitor where I can view the information. I will take a look at my settings and let you know what is effecting it ...................have looked and cannot find what is preventing the info from loading
Old 26 August 2011, 09:50   #5

Town: Llangefni
Length: 3m +
Wrt the images, if you could slow the transition down a bit - they take up quite a bit of room, which is fine, nice design, but because they are in constant/fast transition they keep drawing your eye back to them when you are trying to read the text beneath. I'm finding it distracting. And I'd probably edit them a bit to get rid of the few non-sunny-day ones, or photoshop them to make them appear taken on a sunny day - it's daft thing, but you're not selling a boat, you're selling "fun", no?

Generally, the depth/granularity of the site (or whatever it's called, I mean how much info on each page and how many clicks you need to get to what you want) is pretty good. The only info "missing" is your contact us seems to have a map of the Solent area saying where you cover, but no google maps link of how to find you if someone actually wants to visit you at the marina and eyeball a boat. Is this deliberate? Having a "how to find us if you want to" bit does make a business look more above-board, I think.
Old 26 August 2011, 12:50   #6
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Looks great! One suggestion I'd have is to keep the general continuously rotating images as they currently are on the homepage. On the other sections, have rotating images that are most relevant to that section. In the gallery section, take out the continuously rotating images altogether to make room for large, full screen gallery images (with that same small image index tab selector at the bottom) This is the section where you want to give you visitors the freedom to control what images the view at their own pace.
I am still talking (just) to the web designer and the area of images is still on the agenda as I considered a still on the training page and similar on others as you suggest, but we have used a new loading system and I have yet to be handed over the editing until all is done.
Old 26 August 2011, 12:51   #7
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Might be that the site is done with Java enabled or something like that, as im viewing from a work laptop I cannot see any of the information other than the main banner with the rotating images. Many companies would have various elements of internet explorer functionality dissabled or 'controlled' due to risk Java and other things present, so if your looking for any mid to large companies chartering for team events etc you might want to consider looking at the code and using straight html rather than java or active x type controls. In the current form if I were looking for a team charter I might go to a competitor where I can view the information. I will take a look at my settings and let you know what is effecting it ...................have looked and cannot find what is preventing the info from loading
Yes I have had a similar issue on a laptop just showing top images and bottom links but no text so again back to designer
Old 26 August 2011, 12:53   #8
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhed View Post
Wrt the images, if you could slow the transition down a bit - they take up quite a bit of room, which is fine, nice design, but because they are in constant/fast transition they keep drawing your eye back to them when you are trying to read the text beneath. I'm finding it distracting. And I'd probably edit them a bit to get rid of the few non-sunny-day ones, or photoshop them to make them appear taken on a sunny day - it's daft thing, but you're not selling a boat, you're selling "fun", no?

Generally, the depth/granularity of the site (or whatever it's called, I mean how much info on each page and how many clicks you need to get to what you want) is pretty good. The only info "missing" is your contact us seems to have a map of the Solent area saying where you cover, but no google maps link of how to find you if someone actually wants to visit you at the marina and eyeball a boat. Is this deliberate? Having a "how to find us if you want to" bit does make a business look more above-board, I think.
Good ideas thank you, I will look to link a site map of where we are