Old 31 August 2010, 11:52   #1

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Navman POI files?

Picked up one of this lot's car units for not a lot of money in a supermarket last week, and having had it on the screen for a few days, it would appear the POI database is, well, how do I put this? somewhat out of date! I passed the site of a petrol station shown on the unit which I know closed about 8 years ago...

No problem thinks I, I got a POI cruncher that talks to everything, use a couple of POI sites to grab the latest databases, and job done. Then I discover it won't aknowledge any POI files on my GPS. So I treat the GPS as a USB mass storage device, and find the POI files in the GPS have a ".map" extension.

Now, Both my waypoint / POI grinders have Navman's save option as a CSV file, which I can save & open in Excel. Is this a simple case of "save as" followed by a rename, or is the "in GPS" file a special format?
Old 31 August 2010, 17:23   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Picked up one of this lot's car units for not a lot of money in a supermarket last week, and having had it on the screen for a few days, it would appear the POI database is, well, how do I put this? somewhat out of date! I passed the site of a petrol station shown on the unit which I know closed about 8 years ago...

No problem thinks I, I got a POI cruncher that talks to everything, use a couple of POI sites to grab the latest databases, and job done. Then I discover it won't aknowledge any POI files on my GPS. So I treat the GPS as a USB mass storage device, and find the POI files in the GPS have a ".map" extension.

Now, Both my waypoint / POI grinders have Navman's save option as a CSV file, which I can save & open in Excel. Is this a simple case of "save as" followed by a rename, or is the "in GPS" file a special format?
If you copy a POI file from the device to the PC (don't try to change it on the device in case it buggers anything up) and then rename .map to *.csv can you open it? (actually you don't even need to rename it if you tell excel the right things, or just check it is comma separated values)
Old 31 August 2010, 18:55   #3

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
PocketGPS is a good website for all things GPS:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com

From a quick scan, it looks like you need Navman's SmartST Desktop software to convert POI files to the require format?

Cheers

Chris
Old 01 September 2010, 08:01   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Chris,

There lies half the problem - unless I am being really stoopid, I can't find a "buy" for the Navdesk software on their site. Having trawled a couple of GPS forums, it would appear that trying to buy a copy isn't the easiest thing to do either online or by phone

Pol,

Yeah, I have copied onto the PC, but due to a combination of small toddling things & more important projects (like rebuilding a Clamshell!) I haven't had a chance to muck about with it. I kind of hoped someone might have found out already & if it wasn't a cunningly disguised CSV, saved a bit of faffing time on the PC. It certainly doresn't open easily in anything. Thing that puzzled me most was I thought the ".map" files were exactly that - maps! I can only assume the Machine uses the location (directory) to work out what it's looking at.