Old 12 January 2005, 15:24   #1

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
My strangest request ever..........

.......can anyone recommend a forum or site such as this where I may be able to find advice on balancing my radiators. I keep getting air trapped in one in particular which for some reason stops several others reaching peak performance. However, others are always red hot. Any ideas before I fork out a couple of hundred quid just because I lack a little basic knowledge ? Thanks.
Old 12 January 2005, 15:45   #2

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
You could try www.askaplumber.com or www.onlineplumbingfortightarses.co.uk.

You do get to chat to real life plumbers with their own vans, none of whom get out of bed for less than £70K. Trouble is it usually takes 2 weeks to register on the forum and then another 3 months to get an appointment for a post.
Old 12 January 2005, 16:21   #3

I have the same problem.........

..........when it comes to receiving my marital rites !
Old 12 January 2005, 19:13   #4

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Fraid i cant help you with advise but we had the same problem a few months ago. got all the radiator valves replaced cos they were knackered and re balanced and it works a treat now.

Only problem was the boiler didnt want to restart after!
Old 12 January 2005, 22:02   #5

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
.......can anyone recommend a forum or site such as this where I may be able to find advice on balancing my radiators. I keep getting air trapped in one in particular which for some reason stops several others reaching peak performance. However, others are always red hot. Any ideas before I fork out a couple of hundred quid just because I lack a little basic knowledge ? Thanks.
It may sound unlikely but try this. Make sure your circulation pump is set to its slowest setting. It probably has 3 settings and they are simply altered by rotating a thingmee with a screwdriver. Worked for me. I spent hours bu**ering around trying to solve the problem before this solution.
Old 12 January 2005, 23:15   #6

Town: Cippenham, Berkshire
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Engine: 115 hp Mariner Four
MMSI: 235021077
Good Luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
Hi MeMe,

First you need to bleed all the radiators then turn on the heating from cold and checking all the radiators note what radiators start to get hot first. You have two valves on a radiator, the one that you would normally use to control the radiatior and a lockshield valve, this has a protective cap that you should remove and you will need to use pliers to adjust this valve.

Progressively working around the radiators reduce the flow to the radiators that are getting hot first by turning this lockshield valve clockwise (you may need to turn the first few almost off).

What you are trying to achieve by using these valves is to restrict the flow to those radiators and divert it to the radiators that aren't heating up. Thereby balancing the flow. If you persistantly get air in the system you must have a leak and it is possible that if it is on a negative pressure side of the system this may not leak water but draw air in to the system and that could be tricky to find, but you will find also that a system that is not balanced may retain air pockets because there is insufficient flow to that part of the system to purge it.

Think of it as the water flow taking the path of least resistance and in an unbalanced system this could result in radiators receiving no flow.

Good luck

Kim
Old 13 January 2005, 08:09   #7

Thanks too......

........Zippy, Jwalker (not P D) and especially Kim. I'll print this thread off and have a play tonight when I get home. Cheers.
Old 13 January 2005, 10:49   #8

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
MeMe,

A couple of questions before I get drawn into this one (after all it's what I do for the day job )

1. What make of radiator valves do you have installed?

2. Is the pump on the flow or return pipe to the boiler?

3. Has the system been extended at any time?

4. Do you always vent the offending radiator with the system turned off and how much air do you get out?

5. Do you have a fully-pumped system or gravity hot water and pumped central heating?

6. What colour is the water in the small heating feed tank?

7. How old is the system?

If you can answer the above before you start "adjusting" then I may be able to shed some light on your problem.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2005, 13:48   #9

Bl**dy Hell.....

......here goes. From memory whilst sat in the orifice.

1. No idea, came with the house which must be 17 yrs old. Most are qhite big thermostatic types.

2. No idea, the pump sits next to the boiler but no where near the header tanks. Next to it there is another box / valve with a switch on it and electrical feed.

3. Yes, just had one rad (trendy upright type) fitted in place of small (2ft) on which along with a larger one (6ft) were both moved to different locationa (3ft - 6ft away from original positions).

4. I vent the main offender with the heating on. Air is expelled until water is seen.

I vent 2 other radiators (both upstairs) again with heating on. Black water comes from these.

5. No idea. Hot water tank located on upstairs landing with pump next to it and other valve thinky I mentioned. Header tanks x2 are located in loft. One is large and the other is small. Both have ball valves.

The small one has clear HOT water in it - THIS IS NOT LOOKING GOOD IS IT ?

6. Clear

7. No idea, with house so 17 yrs.

8. HHHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP

9. The boiler exchange is in the kitchen. It is quite small (gas fired).

Pete' thanks for your consideration but please, don;t go to too much trouble, if you feel it best to call in a Pro', just say so, however, any advice so that I can advise him what "We" think the problem is, may help me in not being ripped off.

Cheers,

Graeme.
Old 13 January 2005, 16:04   #10

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Graeme, have sent you a PM.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote