Old 11 December 2004, 17:37   #1

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
My new toy (not a rib unfortunately.....)

Picked up a Jeep this week (after having to take a Canadian driving test would you believe) and had a bit of a play today.

In the words of the fast show "its gripped, its sorted, lets offroad!!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep2small.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	9617   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeepsmall.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	9618  
Old 11 December 2004, 17:40   #2

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Looks great Alan and I bet you and Laura are gonna have a lot of fun in it! Hope it's got good suspension - mind your back!

Hope you're settling in OK. Say hi to Laura!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2004, 22:04   #3

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
I like those Cherokees a lot. Given the harshness of the terrain and extent of the Canadian wilderness, I note with interest that you erred on the side of caution rather than risking it in one of Solihull's finest, Alan There, that should start them all off........
Old 12 December 2004, 02:06   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Don't tempt me - just don't - the less said about leaf springs the better - oh I forgot they have just discovered coils!!!!

Seriously though at least there should be plenty of chances for offroading unlike the UK where they have now even banned people from driving on Pendine sands - the place made famous for - Driving on the sands!!!!!!
Old 12 December 2004, 14:11   #5

Phil, Solihulls finest are a mite expensive over here and I do so hate paying a premium for poor build quality The Cherokee (over here its called the Liberty) is not a bad little vehicle. 3.7V6, bizarrely both permanent and part time 4x4 and I have the "Renegade" version with better offroad tyres, skid plates and umpteen hundred watts of roof mounted lighting. Of course it being a "shiny" and my everyday transport, its not going to be offroaded to the extreme but we'll have some fun!
Old 12 December 2004, 15:24   #6

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
bizarrely both permanent and part time 4x4
As are Shoguns/Pajeros
Old 12 December 2004, 17:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Phil, Solihulls finest are a mite expensive over here and I do so hate paying a premium for poor build quality The Cherokee (over here its called the Liberty) is not a bad little vehicle. 3.7V6, bizarrely both permanent and part time 4x4 and I have the "Renegade" version with better offroad tyres, skid plates and umpteen hundred watts of roof mounted lighting. Of course it being a "shiny" and my everyday transport, its not going to be offroaded to the extreme but we'll have some fun!
What most people don't realise is that the Land Rover is one of the few to offer PERMANENT 4 wheel drive all the time - the Jeep Selec-Trac system may ONLY be used in 4x4 mode on loose or slippery surfaces - if you use it on a road you will get transmission wind up that will wreck things!!!

The land rover - being a permanent 4x4 is great when you are on a stretch of tarmac and hit ice/snow or mud on a bend.

Remember Land Rover used to have selectable 2 or 4 wheel mode which they got rid of in 1983!!!

Also just noticed the Jeep now has rack and pinion steering - great on road but look out if you hit a rock at speed offroad - broken thumbs can hurt!!!

Ever wondered why Landies don't need sump guards? Just look where the sump is - way above the front axle!
Old 12 December 2004, 18:14   #8

Can't comment on the Jeep, but the Mitsubishi has 2 wheel drive (obviously rear) OR 4 wheel drive via a centre diff (like yer landie), which you can then lock (like some landie products, ie, not the viscous coupled Range rovers)

So it has genuine 2 OR 4 wheel drive, off road or on.

jf
Old 12 December 2004, 18:41   #9

Yes indeed it has - but independent suspension at the front does limit offroad ability somewhat.

One thing so many people forget is that one of the most important offroad bits of equipment are the tyres.

So many people go for the "wider the better" look. On sand YES but in mud definitely not - that's why the old series 1 landie with it's skinny tyres is so good - they cut through the mud to firmer ground underneath - just been reminded of it by watching the "Best of scrapheap challenge" - the vehicle that won the "mud dash" had really tall skinny tyres.

Also remember Clarkson testing a load of top 4x4s - the BMW X5 came last - the Rangie won but an old Series 1 landie passed them all.......
Old 12 December 2004, 19:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
What most people don't realise is that the Land Rover is one of the few to offer PERMANENT 4 wheel drive all the time - the Jeep Selec-Trac system may ONLY be used in 4x4 mode on loose or slippery surfaces - if you use it on a road you will get transmission wind up that will wreck things!!!
Without wishing to get into another argument with the Land Rover fundamentalists.....

You are wrong about Jeep Selectrac. It is a full time 4wd system with an open centre diff which enable use on all surfaces and all conditions without axle windup. My Liberty has both Selectrac (full time 4x4) and Controltrac (part time 4x4) which means that I can have both 2wd, 4wd locked partime, 4wd permanent and of course low range. So I guess I can get the best of both worlds of 2wd for Economy and 4WD for traction
Old 12 December 2004, 19:33   #11

Quote:
Yes indeed it has - but independent suspension at the front does limit offroad ability somewhat.
?? You think independent suspension is inferior to live axle?...why's that?
Old 12 December 2004, 20:58   #12

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller
..You think independent suspension is inferior to live axle?...
Because he wears blinkers.

Old 12 December 2004, 22:13   #13

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
Also remember Clarkson testing a load of top 4x4s - the BMW X5 came last - the Rangie won but an old Series 1 landie passed them all.......
Listen, Codpiece, in the real world we all live in, as opposed to the anorak filled one you and your fellow 'Land Rover Monthly', I've got a bigger winch than you, grey bearded, fat b*stard saddos inhabit, nobody gives a toss whether the shed that is a Land Rover Series 1 will get through two inches more mud than a Range Rover, X5, ML500, XC90, Discovery, Jeep Grand Cherokee or anything else with part time, full time, any time you like 4WD. The plain fact of the matter is that I wouldn't use a Series Land Rover to kennel my dog in, let alone drive the vast distances through continental Europe, which is what I have to do as part of my job, and which is why I choose to do it in the luxurious comfort of my independently suspended Range Rover. At least that way when I get out of it at the other end I can still walk upright and hear people talking for the next two weeks. Oh, and when I use it week-in week-out for transporting me and my mates through all sorts of crap off road in the shooting season, as opposed to some rock strewn hill climb with the grey beards on a Sunday morning, it does it without fuss and in unadulterated style. And that's all I and virtually everyone else in a 4WD are interested in.

ps. Hope that wasn't too personal for you
Old 12 December 2004, 22:27   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Nice one Alan

I just got a Nissan Beaver
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2004, 23:01   #15

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: eyore
Engine: donkie engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I just got a Nissan Beaver
thatz appropriate!
Old 13 December 2004, 00:30   #16

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
let alone drive the vast distances through continental Europe, which is what I have to do as part of my job, and which is why I choose to do it in the luxurious comfort of my independently suspended Range Rover. At least that way when I get out of it at the other end I can still walk upright and hear people talking for the next two weeks.

I hope you ain't bringing in any of those Illegal immigrants Phil.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2004, 01:08   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Because he wears blinkers.

Could you explain why you think that???

Now being the proud owner of a new Rangie and an old 110 I STILL say offroad the beam axle is better - ON road it is a totally different matter.

And yes I have taken my Vogue on some horrid stuff - on slippery ground the traction control is amazing - and over boulders - but it will hang a wheel in the air much sooner than my 110 will.

As to Phil's typically obnoxious comments - obviously the new Range Rover is far better for crossing continents - but then again an Aston would be even better!!!
Old 13 December 2004, 07:28   #18

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
.....I've got a bigger winch than you, grey bearded, fat b*stard saddos ........
Oi! How did you know my beard was going grey? I thought the liberal application of "Just for Men" (as recommended by several fellows on here) had discretely covered up the grey bits.....
Old 13 December 2004, 10:16   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Oi! How did you know my beard was going grey? I thought the liberal application of "Just for Men" (as recommended by several fellows on here) had discretely covered up the grey bits.....
Nah, true Landy enthusiasts use old sump oil......
Old 13 December 2004, 11:50   #20

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Listen, Codpiece, in the real world we all live in, as opposed to the anorak filled one you and your fellow 'Land Rover Monthly', I've got a bigger winch than you, grey bearded, fat b*stard saddos inhabit, nobody gives a toss whether the shed that is a Land Rover Series 1 will get through two inches more mud than a Range Rover, X5, ML500, XC90, Discovery, Jeep Grand Cherokee or anything else with part time, full time, any time you like 4WD. The plain fact of the matter is that I wouldn't use a Series Land Rover to kennel my dog in, let alone drive the vast distances through continental Europe, which is what I have to do as part of my job, and which is why I choose to do it in the luxurious comfort of my independently suspended Range Rover. At least that way when I get out of it at the other end I can still walk upright and hear people talking for the next two weeks. Oh, and when I use it week-in week-out for transporting me and my mates through all sorts of crap off road in the shooting season, as opposed to some rock strewn hill climb with the grey beards on a Sunday morning, it does it without fuss and in unadulterated style. And that's all I and virtually everyone else in a 4WD are interested in.

ps. Hope that wasn't too personal for you

Codpiece

I see your up to your usual style and panache these days Phil, by all means i'll allow you to demonstrate the Superiority of your Rangie this comming weekend at Levington when i'll need a launch and recovery on the steeper than average slipway there, obviously i'll take the photos and be able to post them accordingly and might i take this opportunity to menation what a fine fellow you really are