Old 18 December 2002, 12:06   #1
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
More server problems

The whole of RIBnet was unavailable for a few hours thins morning. Sorry for any incovenience, but I hope it meant that you could get some work done

This was caused by the server stopping responding, which happens very occasionally and can normally be fixed very easily by rebooting it. We have a remote power management system that means this can be done remotely, unfortunately the server decided not to come back on again

A swift beating with a bunch of birch twigs did the job though, and everything is fine again . . .

John
Old 19 December 2002, 19:47   #2

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
John, I've been an internet junkie since 1996 when I first lost my innocence. I began by following my little wife round the world on Chay Blyth's BT Global Challenge. When I wasn't living that event, blow by blow, I was off into some of the most esoteric (well, that's one way of putting it) alleyways of the web.

These days I have cyber blood coursing through my veins and I'm main-lining RIBnet forums. Apart from the fact that I am now a real sad case, when your server went down, I almost breathed a sigh of relief. Even thought about going cold turkey for a day. But, phew, there are other places I'm almost forgotten about.

And thanks for the prompt - call up Google and punch in "BIRCH TWIGS." Yeahhhh!
Old 19 December 2002, 21:11   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Re: More server problems

Quote:
Originally posted by John Kennett
...unfortunately the server decided not to come back on again ...
John, just a thought - We use Remote Insight Boards (RIB) and Integrated Lights Out (iLO) boards on our Compaq servers at work. These give us full remote control, hardware reset and "virtual power button" - so if a server doesn't come back after a power down, it's just as good as being there. There's NOTHING that you can't do remotely! This lets us manage 450 servers at 120 locations from the office in Middlesex.