Old 11 September 2005, 10:58   #1

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I don't know what you intend to tow with Chris, but it is a consideration. I only use 4x4's which my eco friendly mates don't like at all. The cobra would be considerably heavier than my rig and Meva is a long haul for you. As you are probably aware, even if your trailer brakes are in perfect fettle (which is rare) once dipped in the briney and a weeks lying around in sunny Cornwall. They won't be so good. Therefore, the tow vehicle weight becomes crucial. The missus' X5 has brakes that would slow the Queen Mary and I'm glad of that at times.
Old 11 September 2005, 11:41   #2

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
I don't know what you intend to tow with Chris, but it is a consideration. I only use 4x4's which my eco friendly mates don't like at all. The cobra would be considerably heavier than my rig and Meva is a long haul for you. As you are probably aware, even if your trailer brakes are in perfect fettle (which is rare) once dipped in the briney and a weeks lying around in sunny Cornwall. They won't be so good. Therefore, the tow vehicle weight becomes crucial. The missus' X5 has brakes that would slow the Queen Mary and I'm glad of that at times.
we have a td5 disco for towing the boats and caravan, the picton is lighter than my other boat so towing wont be a problem. i will probably tow with the 740 as well if i am going to a place with a good slipway as the disco is a bit gutless on a run

as a separate question does anyone know of the weight of a cobra, i asked dave picton and he didnt know!!!!!!!!

cheers

chris
Old 11 September 2005, 12:37   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hartley
we have a td5 disco for towing the boats and caravan, the picton is lighter than my other boat so towing wont be a problem. i will probably tow with the 740 as well if i am going to a place with a good slipway as the disco is a bit gutless on a run

as a separate question does anyone know of the weight of a cobra, i asked dave picton and he didnt know!!!!!!!!

cheers

chris
Is the disco an automatic??? Having said that the one I had was a later model and the chip had been remapped - people get great results from a smart box - gives quite a power boost.

I suspect he didn't know because the boats can vary so much depending on layout!!!

The ONLY real answer would be a weighbridge but I wouldn't worry too much - the Discovery can legally tow 3500kgs so it wont be over that - epesecially with a single engine!!!
Old 11 September 2005, 12:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Is the disco an automatic??? Having said that the one I had was a later model and the chip had been remapped - people get great results from a smart box - gives quite a power boost.

I suspect he didn't know because the boats can vary so much depending on layout!!!

The ONLY real answer would be a weighbridge but I wouldn't worry too much - the Discovery can legally tow 3500kgs so it wont be over that - epesecially with a single engine!!!

funny you should say about chipping, the td5 goes from 136 hp in auto version to 170 with chipping and 200 with an intercooler change as well, which is very tempting. yes is auto cos is the mrs car really, mind you so is mine.

anyone got a smart box for sale i can fit to my disco, prefer the inline ones you can just fit and remove so i can see the difference. On a trip to cornwall this year i was making my way up one of the drags of a hill at my 40 mph as we have a large caravan and the mrs insists on taking the house with us and one of those porsche 4x4 things went by with a huge caravan on it doing in excess of 80 plus up this huge hill, was very jealous, anyone got a porsche 4x4 going cheap?
Old 11 September 2005, 14:05   #5

Quote:
funny you should say about chipping, the td5 goes from 136 hp in auto version to 170 with chipping and 200 with an intercooler change as well, which is very tempting. yes is auto cos is the mrs car really, mind you so is mine.

anyone got a smart box for sale i can fit to my disco, prefer the inline ones you can just fit and remove so i can see the difference. On a trip to cornwall this year i was making my way up one of the drags of a hill at my 40 mph as we have a large caravan and the mrs insists on taking the house with us and one of those porsche 4x4 things went by with a huge caravan on it doing in excess of 80 plus up this huge hill, was very jealous, anyone got a porsche 4x4 going cheap?
The difference is at LOW speeds your Discovery would pull a lorry up the side of a mountain - the Porker wouldn't have a hope!!!

People nearly always forget low down torque is very different to high speed power - an old Scammell for example could pull a FAR heavier load than a Merc powerliner at low speeds but on motorways it is a different game altogether!!!
Old 11 September 2005, 14:10   #6

Quote:

Try a diesel Range Rover, it has a 192bhp BMW lump in it. Heaps cheaper than a Cayenne.
Old 12 September 2005, 23:07   #7

my disco td5 engine is a bmw unit, i wonder if the engine is the same in the range rover but just chipped up a bit, i think i will investigate

anyway torque is no good when horses are available, my last car was 370 hp and the mrs's landy 136 hp and used the landy for towing......mad or what. i must admit landrovers are ok but a bit gutless for big towing and towing at speed
the amount of normal cars that over take me towing caravans similar to mine up long hills kills me..perhaps if i can put the opti in the landy it might fair better
Old 12 September 2005, 23:13   #8

Quote:
my disco td5 engine is a bmw unit, i wonder if the engine is the same in the range rover but just chipped up a bit, i think i will investigate

anyway torque is no good when horses are available, my last car was 370 hp and the mrs's landy 136 hp and used the landy for towing......mad or what. i must admit landrovers are ok but a bit gutless for big towing and towing at speed
the amount of normal cars that over take me towing caravans similar to mine up long hills kills me..perhaps if i can put the opti in the landy it might fair better
The TD5 is NOT a BMW unit!!!

You still don't seem to get the HP/torque thing - my mates Ferrari is over 400hp - a Scammel Explorer is about 120hp - the Scammel can pull 2 loaded 38 ton lorries up a 1 in 3 hill - don't think the ferrari would quite manage that!!!
Old 13 September 2005, 00:55   #9

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
The TD5 is NOT a BMW unit!!!

You still don't seem to get the HP/torque thing - my mates Ferrari is over 400hp - a Scammel Explorer is about 120hp - the Scammel can pull 2 loaded 38 ton lorries up a 1 in 3 hill - don't think the ferrari would quite manage that!!!
no tow hitch for a start
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2005, 02:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
no tow hitch for a start
I DID ask him to fit one so I could could tow my RIB - he was NOT amused!!!
Old 13 September 2005, 07:44   #11

Sorry Chris, but the TD5 has a Land Rover lump in it and it's not in the same league as the BMW unit. Codders is right, torque is the quay(). I have a Mitsubishi L200 which is only 113 bhp but with lowish gearing and decent torque it drags my Rib around as if it weren't there. A Range or a Landcruiser would be good. Don't bother chipping the Disco Queen.
Old 13 September 2005, 08:31   #12

This is a completely new engine. It's codename is Storm but the vehicles are labeled "Td5". (Why, if they had such a nice name?)

No, it's not an BMW engine, but an Rover design and, as it was almost finished when BMW took over, they agreed to continue work to fit it in Landrovers. It's an 5-cylinder engine, 2498 cc displacement, designed for 4x4 use. It has 300 Nm(manual box)/232 lb-ft of torque at 1950 rpm and 136bhp at 4200 rpm. Those numbers differ considerably on the Defender range, I'm still trying to find out what causes this. It revs to a governed load speed of 4850 rpm (5460 max possible rpm) which is nice for fast driving.

some one had told me it was a bmw unit and i beleived them but looking on the web i found out the truth, codders is right as are the others putting me right, cheers guys, i guess if it is a true landy unit that is why it is so gutless, i have had shoguns 3500, 3 landys, 200,300 and td5, for the mrs and yes they have a reasonable amount torque but as far as guts on the road the landys are just not there for some reason. in my cars i always have v8's with huge torque and hp so power is never an issue but the landy is used for towing but is always a bit of a wet rag in my view. yes some low down pulling power but i also have a low speed box if needed for pulling heavy lumps outof the water but it is a gutless lump on the motorway when doing 60 with a boat or a caravan on the back and you get to a hill. Just my personal view based on experience and watching mondeo diesels etc pass me up hills. I am rather tempted to swap it for an amazon or rangerover 4.6 if i cant squeeze a bit more out of the damn thing. Is a shame as it is an es model with every extra imaginable.

cheers guys
Old 13 September 2005, 09:24   #13
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
This is a completely new engine. It's codename is Storm but the vehicles are labeled "Td5". (Why, if they had such a nice name?)

No, it's not an BMW engine, but an Rover design and, as it was almost finished when BMW took over, they agreed to continue work to fit it in Landrovers. It's an 5-cylinder engine, 2498 cc displacement, designed for 4x4 use. It has 300 Nm(manual box)/232 lb-ft of torque at 1950 rpm and 136bhp at 4200 rpm. Those numbers differ considerably on the Defender range, I'm still trying to find out what causes this. It revs to a governed load speed of 4850 rpm (5460 max possible rpm) which is nice for fast driving.

some one had told me it was a bmw unit and i beleived them but looking on the web i found out the truth, codders is right as are the others putting me right, cheers guys, i guess if it is a true landy unit that is why it is so gutless, i have had shoguns 3500, 3 landys, 200,300 and td5, for the mrs and yes they have a reasonable amount torque but as far as guts on the road the landys are just not there for some reason. in my cars i always have v8's with huge torque and hp so power is never an issue but the landy is used for towing but is always a bit of a wet rag in my view. yes some low down pulling power but i also have a low speed box if needed for pulling heavy lumps outof the water but it is a gutless lump on the motorway when doing 60 with a boat or a caravan on the back and you get to a hill. Just my personal view based on experience and watching mondeo diesels etc pass me up hills. I am rather tempted to swap it for an amazon or rangerover 4.6 if i cant squeeze a bit more out of the damn thing. Is a shame as it is an es model with every extra imaginable.

cheers guys
I may be way out here, but are you sure the turbo is working as it should, they are gutless but not that bad.
Old 13 September 2005, 15:20   #14

should set up a different thread here

yep turbo is fine i think but you cant rolling road these things cos of perm 4 wheel drive. none of my landys have been very exciting and this is by far better than the 200/300 models as it tows tons better, but is still dissappointing. i need more horses and torque
Old 14 September 2005, 08:03   #15

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
My brother in law has chipped his 2004 defender & it scares me now!
It has plenty of guts, accelerates up steep hills no probs
Old 14 September 2005, 08:29   #16

Not sure whether this would apply to all these high-tech diesels, but I bought an EGR blanking plate for my L200 and blanked off the EGR valve. It improved the thing no end. No black smoke, crisper acceleration and slightly more economical. The EGR valve is a silly bit of kit which draws off exhaust gas and reintroduces it in the the air induction pipe. Which means that the engine is trying to burn exhaust fumes rather than fresh air. It's done to meet Jap emission laws.
Old 14 September 2005, 08:43   #17

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne
My brother in law has chipped his 2004 defender & it scares me now!
If you want to be really scared................
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Web New Evo 008.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	14424  
Old 14 September 2005, 09:01   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by randski
Have I seen the silver one smokin' around in Falmouth?
Old 14 September 2005, 09:10   #19

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Not this particular one but I know there is one in Falmouth
Old 14 September 2005, 09:27   #20

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by randski
Yep Jap stuff always scares me!
But going fast in a defender which is just a bit on the agricultural side, that scares me too!