Old 25 May 2022, 19:26   #1

Town: Chichester
Boat name: Two Jays
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
Launch and stay

A couple of years ago we stayed in a static caravan at Rockley Park, Poole Harbour. Great really we could launch there safely, leave the trailer go off around Poole, Studland and Swanage. All good but the site is miles from the harbour entrance and is a bit of a chore especially coming back with failing light and weather. Anyone know the same sort of set up around Poole, Swanage or Weymouth? The main problem is finding somewhere to stay which will allow us to park the boat and trailer overnight. Open to suggestions. 😎👍 Thanks in advance.
Old 25 May 2022, 19:52   #2

Length: no boat
I think it's one of the only options in Poole now unfortunately. The only other option is something like redcliffe farm but thats even more of a trek up the river and camp.

I'd be interested also if anyone else has ideas. We'll be using rockley also. It seems like the only private slip you can use...Cobb's won't let you use their slip because they are apparently too busy, redcliffe and ridge are just too far (for me anyway).

My only worry about rockley - they seemed very against me using fresh water after launching/recovering....not sure if anyone else has had the same reception from them.
Old 25 May 2022, 21:05   #3

Interestingly we looked at Radcliffe Farm only this evening and that’s much too far away and that top end of the harbour probably dries at low tide, not an option really. Don’t think we hosed down or flushed the engine because we arrived back late and had to get the security guard to let us in. I’ve seriously looked at Swanage but although you can leave your trailer there while you’re out you need to park in the public car park down the road and then usual problem where to stay overnight with the car, trailer and boat. Same with Baiter.
Old 25 May 2022, 21:34   #4

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Length: 3m +
I used Redcliffe for some years with my previous ( fibreglass) boat..
I had 300mm draught, and on neaps it was manageable at lower states of tide, with care. Need to follow the buoys and stakes as you reach the River Frome at top end of the harbour, and slipway is a bit ropey with stones at bottom end on low tides. It is a good run down to Poole and Sandbanks, but some good open water.
Facilities are basic, with toilets on camp site, and plenty of room to park, and prepare boat.

The sailing academy at Portland is good- all facilities ( toilets and wash down facilities at the ramp) good parking, and cafe in main building. Not sure about overnight parking etc, but worth phoning them. Good, protected access into harbour. Can be Strong ebbtides in northern entrance to open sea. Great for Weymouth, the bay, Lulworth and Portland Bill
Old 26 May 2022, 07:43   #5

Town: Swanage
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
The boat park in Swanage (next to the lifeboat station) keeps a few spaces back for summer rentals, I think by the week. The Tourist Information Centre administer it, so best to give them a call to find out the rates. The website isnt the best. The slipway is decent enough with our 'double' high tide, launching is only really a bit sketchy the couple of hours either side of of a low, or on a strong Easterly.

Is Shell Bay worth a shot? Again, not the best website so best to call them I've found in the past
Old 26 May 2022, 09:38   #6

Hi Fergus306
We come to Swanage quite a lot, usually by road, Blues Festival etc. we also came around from Rockley Park in July 2019 by rib on a fantastic hot day with the sea like a mirror, fantastic. I’ve looked at the launch slipway there and read the signs but never spoken to anyone, if I could leave the boat and trailer there overnight we could stay in a local hotel. I’ll make some enquiries. Thanks John
Old 26 May 2022, 14:46   #7

Town: Swanage
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Equally, I have a sheltered mooring in Swanage which you'd be welcome to use for a small donation if it's easier. Doesn't help with trailer parking though. DM me if of interest