Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Last FM

Been using this site for a while now and I'd thoroughly recommend it

http://www.last.fm/

Set yourself up a profile and start 'scrobbling' that means using your music player, be it i tunes, windows media player etc to refer what you listen to, to the site . It learns your tastes and compares you to other listeners, which gives you access to their music, and lets you hear new stuff you might be interested in Its not a file sharing site , but I have found a wealth of new music on it from like minded peeps.

You can even start up a group like a Ribnet group of friends and share stuff that way .. there are some tracks free, but mostly you'll have to buy through I tunes or the likes, but the best bit is you can play in real time someone else scrobbled tracks or 'radio' and hear a full track, so you'll know if you really want to buy it ,. or the album it came from, rather than spending loads on stuff you thought you might like

Also you can play 'radios' from your fave artists, which also brings in similar tracks from others of a similar genre

I think its fab !
Old 21 April 2009, 22:26   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I'm not really into music the way that many folks here seem to be - but have been impressed with both what you get for free and the automated recommendations.
Old 24 April 2009, 19:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I'm not really into music the way that many folks here seem to be - but have been impressed with both what you get for free and the automated recommendations.
Thanks Neil .. I have to say .. we are quite a musical family, and we always have a pc on somewhere playing something , if my son isnt drowning us out with his power chords from his 'axe' .. but I found I went through a bit of a drought in terms of new music to listen to for a while .. and I really found this site a very valuable tool to reignite my interest, and also introduce me to some new stuff, and my seemingly closed horizons have been broadened further
Old 24 April 2009, 23:27   #4

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
It's a good site Murray,I'm just finding my way round it. presently I have a wife learning the piano, a 10yr old learning the drums (animal out the muppets) and a 15 yr old, an active practitioner of power cords and other heavy metal dross with his axe...it's great here..
Old 25 April 2009, 10:50   #5

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
A lad I work with has spotify, it takes a while to get as you have to apply to join even though its free?
You can create playlists and save them on your account. You don't actually download the music just stream it.
Old 25 April 2009, 16:04   #6

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Been using this site for a while now (and) I think its fab !
Had a browse and...excellent. Thanks for the link and recommendation
Old 03 May 2009, 20:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Had a browse and...excellent. Thanks for the link and recommendation
This site just gets better and better .. this is what the internet is all about .. a massive library.. and where some genius programmer dudes bring it all together in a site that actually works to give a productive result .. and what a result you can search ... it learns your tastes .. it makes suggestions .. it is the epitome of what modern technology should be doing by making it easier for you to sample new music.

Play a radio of another person, an artist, or a genre,.. gradually add loved tracks to your portfolio, then buy an album .. and have hours of listening pleasure on your iPod or whatever lovely biscuits