Click Here to Login

Old 14 October 2013, 19:28   #1

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Laptop stuff help please ...

I've an old Acer laptop - running vista . It works fine , but has with age slowed considerably - I must have got it in 2005 ish ?

There is nothing on it I want or need - so I'm wondering if its possible to wipe everything from it , install windows again and make it OK for browsing only ...

Any suggestions how I'd do this ? ( I don't have any windows discs etc as I think the ex had them) .....not overly fussed about which version of windows, but I've got the time to try it if I had some better idea of how to do it and what I'd need.
Old 14 October 2013, 19:43   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
If you don't have the original Windows discs your options are somewhat limited. If you had the software you could reformat the hard disc which would effectively wipe it, then reinstall the software and start from scratch. This is on Ebay just now: Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit Disc & Product Key,Original.

Have you tried deleting files and software in the control panel, then de-fragmenting the memory? Normally this feature is available with Norton anti-virus, etc.
Old 14 October 2013, 19:52   #3

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
RIBase
If you just want a basic operating system and an internet browser you could download one of the free Linux alternatives.
Ubuntu Meet Ubuntu | Ubuntu is said to be pretty slick!
You might be pleasantly surprised.

Some free OS's are suitable for running off a flash drive so you can boot off a memory stick and try them out before formatting your hard drive. Six Best Portable Operating Systems.

Depends on what else (programs) you want to run as to which will suit your needs the best.
Old 14 October 2013, 19:52   #4

Length: 3m +
Does your drive have a C and a D drive. My Acer laptop does and nothing was on D.

I moved "My Pictures" to D (just dragged it). Windows knew where it went so was seamless. Gave me plenty of G's back and did make a difference.

Also finding Fireflox is crawlingly slow at the minute on it so I'm using Chrome which is playing nicer. Think its the ads on this site and another that kill it but not sure.
Old 14 October 2013, 19:52   #5

Town: Isle of Wight mostly
Make: Regal
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser
MMSI: 235911246
Depending what you want it for you could convert it to Linux Ubuntu instead of windows (and it's free)
Old 14 October 2013, 20:03   #6

Thanks all - so new operating systems seem too involved/ complex for me .

If I re-install windows ( say off that Ebay disk) - will that remove the 'stuff' that's on it ( hard disk wise and is slowing it down) ? Or am I confusing re-install with re-format ?

If I delete everything ( by way of docs/ files/ pics/ music) , uninstall all the rubbish the kids have put in it over the years, use the windows clean up and defragment tools....it might speed up ?
Old 14 October 2013, 20:13   #7
RIBnet Supporter

If you don't want to mick about with new OS, then a scrub down removing all unnecessary software followed by a defrag can't hurt. Make sure you back up ALL your files beforehand. Security software can be a huge speed drain. I use Security Essentials everywhere and it's fast and so far, trouble free.

More than anything, look at the RAM and consider an upgrade. An extra couple of gigs is cheap and can speed up things now that so many programs are more memory hungry compared to when your laptop OS was issued.
Old 14 October 2013, 22:06   #8

Town: Orpington and Lymington
Boat name: Charrnah
Make: 6.5m Ribeye
Engine: Yam 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post

If I re-install windows ( say off that Ebay disk) - will that remove the 'stuff' that's on it ( hard disk wise and is slowing it down) ? Or am I confusing re-install with re-format ?

If I delete everything ( by way of docs/ files/ pics/ music) , uninstall all the rubbish the kids have put in it over the years, use the windows clean up and defragment tools....it might speed up ?
At last a subject im qualified to help with!

Before you try to re install windows be sure to back up anything you want to keep on a usb hard drive. When you do a re install you have the choice to wipe(format) or not to wipe... personally if it was me I wouldn't replace vista with vista in my opionion it was one of the worst operating systems ms produced.. You would be better off going to win 7 if your laptop can take it!

The other thing with a re install you need to make sure the drivers are download able from the Acer website for your laptop (drivers are bits of software that interface between the hardware and the opersting system)

If you post up details on your laptop I can have a look and see if there are drivers available..

The operating system install is not that hard to do it just sounds it... The key is preparation getting the drivers downloaded onto a cd or usb before you start.. making sure you have a backup. .

Also the comments regarding ram if your laptop has less than 2gb installed then get an upgrade fairly low cost from mr memory you should see an improvement
Old 14 October 2013, 22:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
If you don't want to mick about with new OS, then a scrub down removing all unnecessary software followed by a defrag can't hurt. Make sure you back up ALL your files beforehand. Security software can be a huge speed drain. I use Security Essentials everywhere and it's fast and so far, trouble free.

More than anything, look at the RAM and consider an upgrade. An extra couple of gigs is cheap and can speed up things now that so many programs are more memory hungry compared to when your laptop OS was issued.

Great points here also make sure you only ever have one anti virus program running at once.

I have seen computers running two or more at the same time they really don't like living with each other like that

+1 for security essentials..good free anti virus app that
Old 14 October 2013, 22:14   #10

Quote:

Should do depends what you have installed etc... but usually the best way to speed it up is re installing..
Old 14 October 2013, 22:15   #11

Another option is to go for a more modern cheap laptop with an up to date spec which will save you hours of messing about. A backup of data on a mobile hard drive and transfer to the new machine will transfer your files.

There are lots of pros/cons re cost and time. No real answer. Vista was not the best and support for it is reducing. Downside of using win 7 is that not all accessories (scanners / printers etc) will work.

All depends what you need to do with it really
Old 14 October 2013, 22:24   #12
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
I've an old Acer laptop - running vista . It works fine , but has with age slowed considerably - I must have got it in 2005 ish ?

There is nothing on it I want or need - so I'm wondering if its possible to wipe everything from it , install windows again and make it OK for browsing only ...

Any suggestions how I'd do this ? ( I don't have any windows discs etc as I think the ex had them) .....not overly fussed about which version of windows, but I've got the time to try it if I had some better idea of how to do it and what I'd need.
Is there not an acer utility tool to make a recovery disk?

Is the Microsoft key not on the laptop underneath?

Ask LongJohn to help you he's a clever IT chappie near you

Your such a Luddite
Old 14 October 2013, 22:37   #13
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
ccleaner is good - removes crap from computer
Old 14 October 2013, 22:40   #14

Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8hp
I work in this field too and one of the bests tools I have is a copy of Hirens BootCD on a USB key. It has loads of useful utilities on for cleaning up drives or alternatively just booting from it if you just need to browse t'internet.

I'd agree about not re-installing Vista if you can avoid it. Only marginally better than Windows ME Ubuntu would be a good alternative.
Old 14 October 2013, 23:34   #15

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
Is there not an acer utility tool to make a recovery disk?

Is the Microsoft key not on the laptop underneath?

Ask LongJohn to help you he's a clever IT chappie near you

Your such a Luddite
Ditch Vista!! - it was one of the worst versions of Windows ever (ME probably being the worst). You can give the laptop a whole new lease of surprisingly fast life by replacing the hard-drive with a Solid State Drive - but you will need at least Windows 7 (OEM is cheapest) for an SSD to work effectively and at least 1Gb of ram but preferably 2gb. Thus equipped you will be amazed at how fast the machine will boot (almost instantaneous) & work. If your processor is 64bit capable (eg Intel core 2 and above - NB NOT core duo) go for the 64bit versions of Windows 7 or 8

A 120gb drive is ample for normal use not requiring large amounts of storage for music & video

CT120M500SSD1 - 120GB, 2.5-inch Solid State Drive , from Crucial.com
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Wi.../dp/B004Q0PT3I
Buy Microsoft Windows 8 Pro Upgrade online at John Lewis

Failing buying the new hardware revert to Windows XP with the existing hardware setup - if you have an old version of that hanging around.

Give me a PM if you require help - probably have the older version of Windows hanging around as well.....

John
Old 15 October 2013, 06:37   #16

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
On the subject of recovery disks: you might find there's a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive. If so there will be a recovery option during the very early stages of booting up (before the windows logo appears). It''ll say something like "Hit del for setup or f11 to recover factory defaults". If you take the f11 option it'll guide you through the process of returning the machine to how it was at purchase.

I suspect that Linux is probably still a little too much like hard work for you given the content of your posts (no disrespect intended).
Old 15 October 2013, 06:54   #17

If you use outlook for email make sure you back up your email folders and this would suggest staying with a Microsoft product. Ideally can you find someone nearby to help you with the backup, deleting and improving, so you don't lose anything important?
Old 15 October 2013, 07:34   #18

Town: Bristol
Try running Glary Utilities and CCleaner first; it is sometimes remarkable how much of a tidy up these applications can do for speeding up a PC.
Old 15 October 2013, 08:35   #19

Thanks for the advice ( except AJs.....) , however as I am a 'ludite' the windows key has rubbed off the sticker a long time ago.

There are 'two' disks ( A & D ) both showing approx 70GB memery ( I guess its the same physical disk but split ? ) - D is virtually empty , but C drive is showing still as having about 30GB of something on it - despite me deleting everything in site and the installed programs are no way that size - so I'm left wondering what that 30GB is .

So having a go at deleting programs and then defragmenting disk is my route today. Once Ive done this I'll try some of the programs suggested - but my aim is to spend no money at all.

John - thanks for PM I may well call in the next day - it has 2GB of RAM but is a core duo . There is nothing on the machine I want to keep ( I moved everything across at the end of last year when I got an 8GB RAM i7 machine to do the stuff that needs faster processing etc ), so no outlook or anything else to worry about.

I'll repost with how things are going .....
Old 15 October 2013, 09:08   #20

If this is not your primary PC then I would seriously look at Linux Ubuntu. Check out the online demos and see what it can do. It looks a bit different but will make your old laptop boot quick and go much quicker. You can install open office software, web browsers, anti virus, PDF progs etc all for free. It isn't too daunting to do especially if you don't need to keep anything. Good luck!!