Old 04 January 2009, 22:52   #1
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Kayaks

Anyone else here use a sit on top kayak?

I want to buy a kayak to add to my toy box this year - specifically a second hand Ocean Kayaks Malibu Two, so if anyone knows of one knocking around unused at the back of someone's garage, please let me know!

Also thinking about a Prowler 13, or maybe something smaller like a BIC Bilbao. Anyone tried one of these?

John
Old 05 January 2009, 11:22   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
It appears that you are prepared to buy any type of boat, other than a RIB
Old 05 January 2009, 11:41   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
It appears that you are prepared to buy any type of boat, other than a RIB
Maybe the cost of petrol
Old 05 January 2009, 15:43   #4
Administrator

The cost of petrol, or diesel for that matter, certainly focuses the mind but it's the cost of keeping a boat that doesn't get a lot of use that really hurts.

Small and cheap is good. No storage costs, minimal maintenance and insurance costs, negligable depreciation. If it only gets used a few times a year because of other commitments then no problem.

There's plently of fun to be had mucking around in little boats - if I had something bigger I'd want to be doing more ambitious trips, which means more time and money. It's good to try different things, if only to fill in the gap before the next RIB

John
Old 05 January 2009, 15:56   #5

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
What was you last RIB John?

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2009, 16:15   #6
Administrator

My last RIB was Phoenix of Portsmouth, previously owned by Alan Priddy and better known as Spirit of Portsmouth. As far as I know it's still languishing in a severely neglected state at Drivers Wharf.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phoenix.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	39721   Click image for larger version

Name:	tower.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	39722  
Old 05 January 2009, 16:44   #7

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
How comes they didnt have to lift the bridge for you to get under it John ?
Old 05 January 2009, 16:46   #8

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Anyone else here use a sit on top kayak?

I want to buy a kayak to add to my toy box this year - specifically a second hand Ocean Kayaks Malibu Two, so if anyone knows of one knocking around unused at the back of someone's garage, please let me know!

Also thinking about a Prowler 13, or maybe something smaller like a BIC Bilbao. Anyone tried one of these?

John
Got a second hand one of these for sale- It's the same colour as the one second from the left in the pictures.

http://www.stcstores.co.uk/tek-sport...ayak-397-p.asp
Old 05 January 2009, 16:55   #9

Town: Glasgow
http://www.surfango.com/hawaiigt/index.htm

How about one of these, very handy if you get fed up paddling (or miss-judge your stamina)

David
Old 05 January 2009, 17:20   #10

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by randski View Post
Got a second hand one of these for sale- It's the same colour as the one second from the left in the pictures.

http://www.stcstores.co.uk/tek-sport...ayak-397-p.asp
Mm.. there is a small, but fatal, flaw in your sales pitch.... "Max User Weight: 125kg".... That's John right out of the frame then...
Old 12 January 2009, 20:40   #11
Administrator

So kayaks aren't that popular here then - only Randski and he's selling his! I do like the idea of a motorised kayak though
Old 12 January 2009, 21:28   #12

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
So kayaks aren't that popular here then - only Randski and he's selling his! I do like the idea of a motorised kayak though
Dunno but sit-upon kayaks are not real kayaks. You need to sit inside a kayak for proper control....half man, half boat.
Old 12 January 2009, 22:39   #13

Length: 6m +
Quote:
My last RIB was Phoenix of Portsmouth, previously owned by Alan Priddy and better known as Spirit of Portsmouth. As far as I know it's still languishing in a severely neglected state at Drivers Wharf.

John
I really wanted that boat - spoke to Gill at drivers about it roughly 2 1/2 years ago; our chat got to a certain place when the owner re-appeared and paid his storage. Not sure what her current situation is!
Old 13 January 2009, 07:15   #14

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Quote:
So kayaks aren't that popular here then...
Before we discovered RIB's wifey and I hired a sit-on from a place in Wadebridge, Cornwall for half a day as a trial before potentially purchasing. Best £30 I ever spent...whilst I accept we were 'newbies' - and that it's a good plan to be each paddling in the same direction - the effort required against wind/river current/tide suggested to us that something with an engine was needed The rest, as they say, is history...
Old 13 January 2009, 08:33   #15

Town: burnley
Boat name: maddison
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25hp mariner 2 st
Send a message via MSN to zodiacman
What about a sevylor colorado inflatable canoehttp://www.gwdoling.co.uk/CanoeDepos...ockcode=21441# Ive had one for 2 year now it ticks all the boxes light ,cheap, transportable you can even pack them away on your boat, you can paddle them solo or tandem and they are rated up to grade 3 white water plus you can get an electric outboard for them if your a lazy sod. I use mine on the sea, lakes and rivers and have taken it up scotland on a three day tour of Loch Lomond
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6150066.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	39909  
Old 13 January 2009, 13:03   #16

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiacman View Post
What about a sevylor colorado inflatable canoehttp://www.gwdoling.co.uk/CanoeDepos...ockcode=21441# Ive had one for 2 year now it ticks all the boxes light ,cheap, transportable you can even pack them away on your boat, you can paddle them solo or tandem and they are rated up to grade 3 white water plus you can get an electric outboard for them if your a lazy sod. I use mine on the sea, lakes and rivers and have taken it up scotland on a three day tour of Loch Lomond

Got two of these myself - very handy - take up little space when deflated & can carry a heafty load (ie me ) . Surely these count as SIBS ?
Old 14 January 2009, 22:18   #17

Town: Newport
Make: Avon Rover 3.4
Engine: Merc 15hp F/S
I used to own a pair of BIC Bilbao which I sold and bought a 2nd hand Prowler 13 with the cash. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the prowler but would be wary of the BIC. As always it is horses for courses, the BIC is very stable for a relatively short yak but was very hard work to cover any sort of distance in. I bought the prowler with a view to doing a bit of paddling and hopefully catching some fish for the bbq. The difference in the performance of the two is massive when covering distance. I had some great trips last summer on the Prowler potching around the Pembrokeshire coast with a Rapala lure trailing of the back even occasionally returning home with my supper. The Prowler is a big unit with loads of internal storage which allows you to use a decent trolley and stow it internally. With a yak as with a RIB the balls ache is getting to the water, the paddling is the easy bit. Let me know if you need/want any more info.
PS before anyone starts on about boats without engines etc I still love my 585 to bits and get out whenever I can but sometimes an evening paddle in the yak gives me my fix of sea air without the fuss that goes with a launch recovery etc.
Old 15 January 2009, 12:34   #18

Kayaks

Borrowed brother's Ocean Kayak and took it round the sea lochs on Mull and down the Fleet in Chesil last summer. Very relaxing. Found some secluded beaches for picnics and inquisitive seals following us. Only used on flat water but good direction and supposed to be able to cope with rough water too.

If you have the slightest twinge of a dodgy back though, the paddling position won't help it as we found out. Heavy to lift onto the top of a van too.

Jurrasic Tours do some day trips out of Lulworth if you want to try first.
http://www.jurassic-kayaking.com/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fleet-kayaking.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	39944  
Old 15 January 2009, 13:06   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiacman View Post
What about a sevylor colorado inflatable
I had initially thought about getting something inflatable (sort of inevitable really) but I reckoned it would probably be more bother than it's worth, and not very good either.

I think I'd rather have something that I can just haul off the van roof and put in the water without any mucking about. I've already got an inflatable for that sort of lark!
Old 15 January 2009, 13:31   #20
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
I had initially thought about getting something inflatable (sort of inevitable really) but I reckoned it would probably be more bother than it's worth, and not very good either.

I think I'd rather have something that I can just haul off the van roof and put in the water without any mucking about. I've already got an inflatable for that sort of lark!
If you do think that way again, try and borrow one to try.Admittedly I've never kayaked before, but I had a go on Parksey's inflatable kayak a couple of years back and found it a bugger to steer as it slid across the water whenever I paddled it. It was almost impossible for me to get any momentum either-if I missed a stroke it stopped dead and even a small wavelet chucked it right off course.

It was however a really well made one and a real laugh but was far easier to use with his daughter acting as an outboard It was a really useful tender too.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote