Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 11 February 2015, 16:23   #1

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Job Hunt: Potential trainee jobs

I'm currently looking to start a new career either starting as an apprentice or a trainee. I'm looking for either service engineer roles or something to do within the marine industry.

Marine engineer jobs seem to be hard to come by; I have emailed also most marinas in Poole and scoured the internet but no one seems to be hiring at all (not even in the summer)

I have no qualifications related to engineering but have a lot of self taught skills and things I have learnt from other people aswell being highly motivated to learn. I have owned boats since I was 14 and have always maintained them myself where I can as well as my own cars.

I would love the opportunity for a new challenge and new career if anybody on here has any links or contacts to somebody who may be looking to take on a trainee.

Many thanks
Luke Whiting
Old 11 February 2015, 18:05   #2

Town: River Hamble
Length: 6m +
How far are you willing to travel Luke? We are looking for staff and as we already work with Southampton City Collage can organise apprenticeships.

If you are interested drop me your CV.

Kieron@rib-shop.com
Old 11 February 2015, 18:06   #3

Town: Portland, Dorset
Make: Ribcraft
Hi Luke, whereabouts are you based ?
Old 11 February 2015, 21:00   #4

Am based in swanage but Southampton is defiantly potential. Will email you through a CV first thing.

Thanks
Luke
Old 11 February 2015, 21:21   #5

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Have you tried SAR mouldings in Poole
Old 12 February 2015, 23:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Have you tried SAR mouldings in Poole

I haven't but I will look them up
Old 13 February 2015, 16:42   #7

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Luke

I'm involved with apprentices and their development programmes etc at the company I work for.

Like Kieron at Ribshop we do not hire directly, but work with a local training organisation, in our case PETA, who firstly screen the candidates but then monitor what they are doing, advise us, and importantly protect the apprentices from just being cheap labour by monitoring their progress and ensuring that their training is of a good and structured standard.
They come in once a month and sit with each apprentice to keep up to date with their academic and on the job training.
In fact we have taken on apprentices that PETA contacted us about because they are not receiving a good enough standard of training at another company.

My advise would be to contact the local colleges and training organisations and get on their lists, they will advise you what steps to take, what courses you could sign up for as a start, and recommend you to companies that contact them looking for candidates.

Most companies that are serious about developing apprentices rather than abusing them as cheap labour work in this way, the exceptions are large organisations who have the human resources staff trained to develop the programmes themselves.
The majority of companies in your target industry do not fall in the last category.

Nasher.
Old 13 February 2015, 18:44   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Luke, why so specific? If you like fixing mechanical things then cars, planes, boats, a lot of machinery are all much the same in terms of the work. Unless you are looking to work on big ships you aren't actually going to spend much time afloat playing with your work.

There is nothing likely to ruin a hobby as much as having to get out of bed everyday and do it for someone else.

What's your current job? there's bound to be transferable skills there to doing something else, but what is it you don't like about it?
Old 13 February 2015, 19:09   #9

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Red Alert
Make: Solent SR600
Engine: Mercury 125hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Luke, why so specific? If you like fixing mechanical things then cars, planes, boats, a lot of machinery are all much the same in terms of the work.
I agree BUT there is a big difference in your pay packet, Ask any car mechanic and he or she will tell you.
Marine engineer or Aircraft technician is where the money is and don't listen to anyone that tells you its not all about money, Its only people with money who say that.