Old 18 June 2022, 16:43   #21

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I pass by most days too as I suspect lots of folk still do...it didn't take long to fill up David Manning's thread after Rogue Wave's death, likewise for Jambo's death. Both full of good memories and comments too! However, the forum content is lighter than it once was - fewer big projects and no-one circumnavigating the globe by Rib at the mo, or sinking in the North Atlantic! Luckily...

When I'm on the water there are very few ribs about...mostly none...so Ribnet may well be reflecting normal Rib/Sib boating. Anyway, long may Ribnet continue imho.
Old 18 June 2022, 18:31   #22

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
WhatsApp has taken over a bit it’s the same on Land Rover forums Same old Same old just going round in various guises
Old 18 June 2022, 20:18   #23

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Engine: 100 Yammy
I feel like RIBbing is coming into a renaissance, so expect wave after wave of those newbie questions where the responders fight the urge to direct the OP to the search bar

People are downsizing their boats, so RIBs are a solid choice

Forums may not be cutting edge any more, but with good contributors and moderators they have a place

As Andy said, this is still the best place to post up a meet/event. Possibly sales & wants as well
Old 18 June 2022, 21:10   #24

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
Forums may not be cutting edge any more, but with good contributors and moderators they have a place

As Andy said, this is still the best place to post up a meet/event. Possibly sales & wants as well
You missed out "probably the best place to get help, guidance and information"

It will be two years next month that I became a member of Ribnet. I had been Lurking around as a guest for a couple of weeks before joining as a complete newbie to powered craft, but with the help and guidance of experienced members I can honestly say that I have had a brilliant time on the water over the past 22 months.
I've had some wonderful holidays and adventures, and been to places I never would have been in a canoe, kayak or under sail.

So from me a big thankyou to all that have been there when I asked for advice, and thankyou to Ribnet.
Old 08 August 2022, 23:05   #25

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Hello again!

Nah. 'Course not!

I also, for various "other life reasons" (Including half a ton of bricks, sand & mortar blocking the garage door for the best part of a year & a bit of global lockdown-y kind of stuff) haven't had the rib out since Easdale '19

My Aux on the other hand has been getting plenty of exersise pushing my "new" toy - an Avon 3m Sportsboat (Small workboat with a bow doger) around.

But here's the thing - I now need to replace about ten A7 valves because not a single section of the rib now holds air, and I've got slow leaks on all 4 of the Sportsboat valves... As mentioned above - I found lots of useful info by searching. Jury is now out as to whether I buy 10 repair kits and spend a week swearing at the very design of the A7 valve, or start some major tube surgery anmd replace them all with a more sensible design.... :O

We were all new to this game once, so I don't mind helping out - remember if you are new you might not even know what you need to be searching for!

I've not searched 98 RON vs E10 yet, but as I've proven a lot of the "old fuel never works" threads are rubbish over the last couple of years (the aux has been running quite happily on a 30L tank of Premix left over from Easdale!). I'll start / add to that discussion when I (don't) / find it.

My main return surprise was the emptiness of the bilges and the fading of the long standing Landrover discussions!
Old 09 August 2022, 06:35   #26

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post

I now need to replace about ten A7 valves...

Try squirting a small amount of Fairy Liquid down each one with them open at the time, then open and shut them a few times to spread it about. Normally works.

You can replace the "mushroom" without tube surgery, but it's fiddly.

10 is a lot, good luck with the Fairy.
Old 10 August 2022, 21:13   #27

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
well I think I've come back part time been a member here since 2006 .. FB groups are fine .. but they are too diverse for knowledge . Then again .. topic searching on VB forums such as this should be a lot better. I run a newer VB platform but its still suffering the same problem of user dilution .. there are so many platforms for people to get information.. the winners in the contest are/will be the platforms that allow the easiest content sharing with the highest amount of serious contributors. Theres a lot of highly knowledgable people out there who have just given up , they dont want the shitty come backs from the ever present arseholes online , so they just dont post, and you cant blame them ... moderators can only do so much. This forum has always been well regulated no doubt I tested that a few times myself ! and it does have a huge knowledge base .. if only V bulletin made the searches more succinct.. so no the forum isnt finished
Old 11 August 2022, 07:40   #28

Town: Southsea
Boat name: Voodoo
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser 350 Mag
RIBase
Is RIB NET FINISHED??

Nope love it.... :-)
Old 11 August 2022, 10:13   #29

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post

When I'm on the water there are very few ribs about...mostly none...so Ribnet may well be reflecting normal Rib/Sib boating. Anyway, long may Ribnet continue imho.
Crickey - you should try Salcombe or Dartmouth - more ribs some days then the fluffy sailing things

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 11:36   #30

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
well I think I've come back part time been a member here since 2006 .. FB groups are fine .. but they are too diverse for knowledge . Then again .. topic searching on VB forums such as this should be a lot better. I run a newer VB platform but its still suffering the same problem of user dilution .. there are so many platforms for people to get information.. the winners in the contest are/will be the platforms that allow the easiest content sharing with the highest amount of serious contributors. Theres a lot of highly knowledgable people out there who have just given up , they dont want the shitty come backs from the ever present arseholes online , so they just dont post, and you cant blame them ... moderators can only do so much. This forum has always been well regulated no doubt I tested that a few times myself ! and it does have a huge knowledge base .. if only V bulletin made the searches more succinct.. so no the forum isnt finished
Some interesting comments there that I generally agree with.

RIBnet is a good, general purpose forum for those with an interest in RIB's, SIB's and related gear and activities. If the user has a question about a specific marque, there are potentially better places to go - Ribcraft, Redbay, Searider and even Pacific 22's have their own user created FB pages. I tend to lurk on a few of those plus for the Pac 22 one, for example, I've uploaded various manuals in PDF. This doesn't seem to be something that is easy to do on RIBnet and I'm not sure marque specific manuals would even be wanted on RIBnet.

I think it would be quite useful to have a library for outboard manuals or other slightly more difficult to come by information.

With FB and other social media platforms, the landscape that RIBnet is operating in is changing and that changes the make up of the users and the content. It's definitely still got its place and somewhere I enjoy visiting even if some of the content and users make me roll my eyes and move on.
Old 11 August 2022, 12:10   #31
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
My main return surprise was the emptiness of the bilges and the fading of the long standing Landrover discussions!
Hey 9d280 welcome back.
Mollers left - bilges are quiet ;-)
Landrovers all rotted - discussion over!
Old 11 August 2022, 12:53   #32

Town: Southsea
Boat name: Voodoo
Make: Ribtec
Engine: Mercruiser 350 Mag
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Crickey - you should try Salcombe or Dartmouth - more ribs some days then the fluffy sailing things
Equally Priory bay on the IOW always has loads of Ribs anchored or beached....we tend to anchor. Tis a lovely spot.
Old 11 August 2022, 12:56   #33

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Loads round Anglesey too….
Old 11 August 2022, 20:01   #34

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post

I think it would be quite useful to have a library for outboard manuals or other slightly more difficult to come by information.

Yes .. Facebook search options are poor too it should be said , and on my forum one of the most highly searched threads is a problem solving guide for a particularly troublesome bit of digger electronics spanning a whole range of machines.

It took a lot of time to put up all the info tho .. and peeps just expect to log in and get it for free, all the time, but I have set things so that they have to make a few forum posts before being able to get the info .. and actually contribute somethings ... but I just get PM's all the time about why they have to do that ? Honest to god

A stable platform that shares a lot of knowledge is a very valuable place
Old 11 August 2022, 21:02   #35
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
well I think I've come back part time been a member here since 2006 .. FB groups are fine .. but they are too diverse for knowledge . Then again .. topic searching on VB forums such as this should be a lot better.
I pretty much exclusively use Tapatalk (same as the RIBnet app) to access the forums and the search on that works pretty well.
Old 11 August 2022, 22:16   #36

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Engine: Suzuki 175
I use facebook groups and Ribnet. If I have a technical problem Ribnet is my go to place. I have found the advice given incredibly helpful from some very knowledgable people. On the other hand for a bit of rib banter, Facebook is great…
Old 12 August 2022, 21:23   #37

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
One thing I have noticed is that I use to get a daily Ribnet email listing all the new posts, that appears to have stopped for some reason. I think a consequence of that is people stop posting as much as they don't get the replies they thought they would.
Old 21 August 2022, 19:08   #38

Town: Leicestershire
Boat name: Bathtub
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Honda 150
I LOVE RIBnet.

It continues to get me out of all sorts of RIB trouble.

I ask an honest question and I get an honest answers... Arguably exactly like the first thread here.

The answers so far from everyone is: "No It's not finished."

Long may it last as I, for one, would be completely bu99ered (sorry moderators do as you will) without the constant help, support, advice and suggestions from you all
Old 21 August 2022, 20:22   #39

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
One thing I have noticed is that I use to get a daily Ribnet email listing all the new posts, that appears to have stopped for some reason. I think a consequence of that is people stop posting as much as they don't get the replies they thought they would.

I think this is something you can switch on/off in the User CP. You need to login on line to access the CP.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 08:37   #40

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Engine: Optimax 225
Social media has changed since Rib.net first started, but unfortunately not for the better.

It's now mostly about "look at me not doing anything". I sort of came back to rib.net because even though I'm a hardboater (and I know some of you are hardboaters pretending to be ribbers too), rib.net has stayed true to the best of social media.

Absolutely there's a lot of repetition on technical how to's such as 'ole drilling, but fundamentally, there's a decent crowd of likeminded individuals here with a shared interest.

When I become a regular boater again, I'd be quite up for a bit of a meet up with some of you guys on the south coast. I'll actually be out boating next weekend with my lad, I've hired one of the bembridge marine hire ribs again. Just me & him - and he's given me strict instructions "MAX SPEED".

Tags
rib