Old 12 March 2007, 18:06   #1

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Internet suppliers

I won't bore you with the details, however how do I go about dissconnecting my old provider from the telephone so that my new one can connect.

Pipex, BT and Talk Talk have been really unhelpful in this situation.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2007, 20:33   #2
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
It depends who you are with now. You need to ring them to release your current connection (you need some sort of code) then you can ring the new supplier with this.

From my knowledge its not just a case of ringing up the new supplier to get an account.
Old 12 March 2007, 20:45   #3

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I won't bore you with the details, however how do I go about dissconnecting my old provider from the telephone so that my new one can connect.

Pipex, BT and Talk Talk have been really unhelpful in this situation.
Andy,

Keep us posted on this. My mate took a month last year without Internet use. I beleive now you ask for a migration code from your present supplier and this reduces the downtime to a few days.

Would be interesting to hear how long it takes from you as might do it myself in the future. Sky are offereing free broadband at the moment for the package I am on, but not too sure if I want the hassle of changing and being off line. Kids will kill me if that happens. Especially with exams coming up.
Old 12 March 2007, 21:22   #4

Town: Leighton Buzzard
When I swapped from AOL to orange, I just rang AOL and got the migration code then rang orange and gave them the code, they emailed me 3 days later to say everything was transfered and how to change the some settings, after everything was up and running I just rang AOL to make sure they closed my account as they try to keep your account open with them so they can charge you.
Richard
Old 12 March 2007, 23:41   #5

Well I wasn't going to bore you guys, but you forced me into it .

I was with Pipex and had a BT line but decided that I should get cheaper telephone and internet.

This is where Talk Talk came in.

I received my 30 day MAC code from Pipex and registered with Talk Talk. I offered the code to Talk Talk but they said they didn't need it.

Telephone went live on the 15th Jan and internet was going to go live on the 14 Feb....Yeh right....

Pipex was going to terminate my contract on the 14 Feb....Still with me?

When the date of internet connection came and went I phoned Talk Talk to ask what was going on. They told me I needed to give them this MAC code (surprise surprise) which I haven't got anymore as it's more than 30 days old.

I can't get a MAC code from Pipex now as I'm not a customer....Catch 22

So how do I terminate the Pipex broadband connection, it has to be a BT thing, but who do I phone/contact..?

PS: I'm dial up at the moment

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 13 March 2007, 00:08   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
So how do I terminate the Pipex broadband connection, it has to be a BT thing, but who do I phone/contact..?
If Pipex have terminated your contract, can you not just sign up to another ISP as a new user? If BT have to be involved, have you spoken to them and explained your situation? If they can just cancel your phone line from having any broadband link then I would have thought you should be able to be a new customer to any ISP. You can test your line to see if it's able to take broadband and the test will report to you that you are already a broadband user if the line is still connected. I can't remember the site I used...google it. You can also do this by going online to an ISP..TalkTalk?...and pretending to sign up to one of their broadband packages and during this they will test your line to see whether there is a current connection. If there is, they tell you you can't sign up.
Old 13 March 2007, 00:16   #7

Hi JW,

I have got broadband but it is provider specific, which means that it is currently connected to Pipex. I would be only too happy for the connection to be broken from Pipex and aproach Talk Talk as a never installed broadband customer.

Trouble is Talk Talk say they cannot help me as it's my responsibility to terminate the connection.

Pipex say that I have to approach BT to terminate the connection and I haven't found a contact number that seems to deal with this problem from BT.....All very frustrating

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 13 March 2007, 00:22   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
This was an issue highlighted on a Watchdog program just a short while ago. Tell Pipex you're going to contact Watchdog, it can't do much harm.

Have you tried here?
Old 13 March 2007, 09:18   #9
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
My mate took a month last year without Internet use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Would be interesting to hear how long it takes from you as might do it myself in the future. Sky are offereing free broadband at the moment for the package I am on, but not too sure if I want the hassle of changing and being off line. Kids will kill me if that happens. Especially with exams coming up.
Well I went from BT to Talk Talk last year and it took them from September to January to not connect my broadband. Then they ended up saying that they could not offer me a connection where I live despite being charged for it and a modem etc etc. A total carry on, ended up back with BT they did sharpen up the pricing a fair bit .

56k is way too slow, you forget how good broadband is.
Old 13 March 2007, 13:18   #10

Phoned Pipex again today and they said they'd issued me with a MAC code on the 28th Feb, shame they didn't tell me till now.

Anyway the upshot is that I've phoned this number though to Talk Talk and everything has been accepted......I'll update you all in less than 15 days Yeh right....

Looks Slow but is Fast